End panels on cabinets

NTWoodwright

Hi,

So I have set the defaults for the cabinet end panels as 3/4", but when I add them to a cabinet, they don't seem to increase the width of the cabinet or occupy 3/4" on my drawing. For example, if I have a 12" wall cabinet, and I add a right side panel using the cabinet settings, the cabinet length does not increase to 12 3\4", it remains 12". My panel defaults are 3/4" under the accessories.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Also, when I try to use End to End Dimensions to show the dimensions of the panels or partitions, it is touch and go if they can be selected. Is there a trick to do this?

Thanks!

NTW

This is a long standing issue. Using either panel or auto panel, the panel will NOT show in plan view and does not occupy any space in the programs mind. So bumping and pushing do NOT account for the panel. X9 has added the ability to show doors in plan, but not side panels.

Neither doors nor standard side panels can be snapped to for dimensioning.

NOTE that if you set sides to paneled as a default it will place a panel on every single cabinet and that is how they would appear in your schedule.

OTOH if you set it to auto paneled then panels will only be placed on exposed ends so the schedule will read correctly.

To get side panel to show in plan and snap dimensions to-

Place a door in plan, click OK when asked if you really want to place this.

Change the height, width AND height off floor to what you need.

center to cabinet front to back and slide over till it bumps.

You can block the two together to make moving them around easier but then you have to tab through the arch block to change the size of the cabinets. Pikyerpoison.

Adding molding does not change the cabinet height in the schedule. Including a counter increase a base cabinet height listing in the schedule BUT in x9 there is now a second listing available "box height", a welcome addition.

Sometime in the past I requested the side panel issue be addressed. Maybe next release. It wouldn't hurt for you to send it in as a suggestion.

• Upvote 1

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate that. 

So what do people do when they are trying to make their drawings dimensionally accurate? Do people use CA for accurate kitchen floorplans? I was using 20/20 before because I found changing cabinet styles combersum, but it definitely had more accuracy to it.

Anywho, I will start adding doors to my cabinets so they will show on my drawing. 

Thanks for the tip.

I use Chief because it is infinitely more accurate than 2020 (see attached) There are a few instances where you have to work a little differently to get what is needed, but you can always get there.

I was under the impression that you wanted to dimension to the side panel, no?.

As noted-Using the DBX to add panels will only show in elevations and 3D views not in plan AND it will not "bump" to casings. Yeah that should be fixed.

IF you want snap and bump then add a door to the side of the cabinet, select them both and make it an architectural block, that WILL snap to your casings.

If you like that add to library. You can change the door style by "tabbing" into the arch block. (Personally I find it a pia so I deal with it other ways- you have several options)

Attached a jpeg with a few details from an order, getting plans and elevations is easier.

I just checked the other machine-2020 does NOT dimension to an added side panel. It does "sort of" bump to the casing but (on V9 last one I have) in plan the panel overlaps the casing while in elevation it does not-accurate?

Not in 2020.jpg

Shelagh -Thought about this last night. If you like I can set up an online meeting to show you what I'm doing for dimensions, schedules, final drawings, a few quirks... in Chief. I have a Zoom account that I don't use enough, so can use that. Might be a good kickstart for you?

From the looks of my current schedule it would have to be the first week of February. I've noticed that there are several kitchen newbies on lately so if anyone is interested let me know chime in, if there is interest I'll post this as a fresh thread. I also know that there are a few experienced kitchen folks who just lurk here, would be great if they could join in. Would aim for an hour, ABSOLUTE max 2 hrs.

You should at least have X9 on your machine even if not using it for production. It will be the most useful if using the Premier version but if using the Interiors version you're welcome but the most important things I use for final documents-(annosets, detail from view, Ruby, append text to dimensions, project browser) are only available in Premier.

• 3 weeks later...

No since there were no takers. How's Friday the 17th at 2 pm Eastern? I'm just waiting on a counter install date but they rarely do Friday. Maybe will post it over in the user group once we settle time. I use Zoom for multiple folks but if it ends up just the two of us Skype can work too. If anyone use GTM and wants to take over I'm ok with that too.

1 hour ago, MarkMc said:

No since there were no takers. How's Friday the 17th at 2 pm Eastern? I'm just waiting on a counter install date but they rarely do Friday. Maybe will post it over in the user group once we settle time. I use Zoom for multiple folks but if it ends up just the two of us Skype can work too. If anyone use GTM and wants to take over I'm ok with that too.

Mark,  I missed your on line meeting notice.  I would be interested in hearing what you have to say.  If you would like,  I can host on GTM and I will let you be the presenter.

This could be good.  I have Friday the 17th 2 pm eastern and 11:00 am PST locked in if you are interested.  Let me know what you want to do.  If you want to use GTM,  then I should be the poster and the guy who coordinates but the show will  be all yours.

40 minutes ago, dshall said:

Mark,  I missed your on line meeting notice.  I would be interested in hearing what you have to say.  If you would like,  I can host on GTM and I will let you be the presenter.

This could be good.  I have Friday the 17th 2 pm eastern and 11:00 am PST locked in if you are interested.  Let me know what you want to do.  If you want to use GTM,  then I should be the poster and the guy who coordinates but the show will  be all yours.

me too.

Sounds good Scott-I'm good to go and you're always a pleasant host:) so GTM it is.

I'd hoped that some other kitchen folks might have some input too. I know you can swap presenters if need be. If anyone else is attending and has some good ideas for kitchen specific drawings please don't be shy.

1 minute ago, MarkMc said:

Sounds good Scott-I'm good to go and you're always a pleasant host:) so GTM it is.

I'd hoped that some other kitchen folks might have some input too. I know you can swap presenters if need be. If anyone else is attending and has some good ideas for kitchen specific drawings please don't be shy.

Mark, I don't think anyone but you and Joe, and Michael do kitchens in such detail, I would very much like to see it happen.

6 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

I'll contact a couple of people and see where that goes.

Scott,lets post this as a seperate thread to see if we can't get some kitchen folks? Since you host and collect emails why don't you do that?

I will set it up.