Misaligned Text in Library CAD Notes

Archnot-Boltz

It looks like your using a variable spaced font so the spacing between letters varies with each letter.

Use a fixed spaced font like Courier. Or use a standard text box and set the tap stops accordingly. Or copy/paste a spreadsheet grid and use columns.

Yes it probably did

But it looks like chief is using a Rich text rather than the standard text box. The rich text box does not have tab control -- so there will always be some misalignment there .

You could copy/paste the text into a standard text box but the longest line will reset and override any tabs , so same problem. yes this is not the correct behavior.

One solution would be to move any longer text to a separate box and align the two/three boxes vertically to appear as one. I doubt if you'll want to do that.

Other solution to just pad with spaces as needed.

A macro would normally be the solution but Chief does not recognize tabs from macros -- so same problem

IOW this is not a bug -- just poor programing -- Don't look for it to be fixed -- use spaces to pad anytime you make a change.

17 minutes ago, GerryT said:

Hmm -- just wondering -- How do you set tab stops in a rich text box. As far as I can see it just inserts spaces which is not a tab??

I don't know of any way to set the tab stops.  They seem to be pre-set at every 10 spaces.  They do work though.

So, for something that should be extreamly simple: aligning with a tab or space bar, I'll have to learn some complicated BS Work-A-Round? Why even bother having half of the library items if they are so flawed? Maybe someone from Chief could explain how featureless/useless a feature is? I just want to use this stuff "Right Out of the Box". Before the X-series of upgrades, Chief was a lot more "Out of the Box" friendly.-BB

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2017 at 2:11 PM, Alaskan_Son said:
On 1/16/2017 at 0:42 PM, GerryT said:

A macro would normally be the solution but Chief does not recognize tabs from macros -- so same problem

This is not entirely accurate.  Chief will recognize "\t" just fine if that macros is placed into a RICH Text box.  

So...I was working with this again here today and I found that the "\t" method actually DOES work in regular text boxes but it is strangely limited in that...

• You have to actually place a manual tab somewhere in the text box before the tabs in your macros are recognized
  • If you want to "Display Grid Lines" you have to manually place all the required tabs in the text box in order for the grids to properly generate.  This could be done with column headings or by simply creating an extra row of empty "cells" at the bottom of your text box.

On 1/13/2017 at 1:13 PM, Archnot-Boltz said:

Was this issue addressed and fixed in X9? I can never get the text columns to stay aligned.-BB

Note Text Missalignment-X8.PNG

Hey Brad,

I never really studied your question very thoroughly till just now, but I just took a better look and the problem is crystal clear to me...

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with what Chief is doing.  It looks like all that's happening is that YOU have modified the text box.  In doing so, you have placed extra characters and spaces which has thrown the tabbed alignment off.  It's word processing 101.  You just need to add/delete tabs and spaces as necessary to align things to your liking.  Am I missing something? 

On 2/4/2017 at 3:17 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

Hey Brad,

I never really studied your question very thoroughly till just now, but I just took a better look and the problem is crystal clear to me...

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with what Chief is doing.  It looks like all that's happening is that YOU have modified the text box.  In doing so, you have placed extra characters and spaces which has thrown the tabbed alignment off.  It's word processing 101.  You just need to add/delete tabs and spaces as necessary to align things to your liking.  Am I missing something? 

Thanks for the reply Michael. What am I missing when my text that I'm composing in the DBX is in alignment but when I view it in my layout sheet, the rows don't align? Admittedly, I'm not a wiz using word processing and tabs but shouldn't it still be WYSIWYG?-BB See attached screen shots 

TextAlignment-LayoutView-ScrnShot.PNG

TextAlignment-RichTextDBX-ScrnShot.PNG