Default Text Style?

Joe_Carrick

We can specify the Text Styles for Text, Dimensions, Markers & Callouts in the Annosets / Active Defaults.

Then in the Layer Set we can set each Layer to "Default Text Style".  The Layers will use whatever is specified in Active Defaults.  This works well in terms of using the correct text style.

However, when a Text Object is examined the attribute layer_text_style simply returns "Default Text Style" rather than the name of the Text Style.  I name my Text Styles with a size and scale as follows:

• 1/8" Arial - 1/8" Scale
  • 1/8" Arial - 1/4" Scale
  • etc.

There are some layers (specifically LABEL layers) that the Text Style may need to be different.  Currently those need to be specified in the Layer Set since there are no settings available in the Annosets for Labels.

I would like to be able to:

1. Set a "Label Default Text Style" that could be used in the Layer Sets
  2. Be able to examine the Text Object attribute layer_text_style and get the underlying name vs "Default Text Style" or "Label Default Text Style".  IOW: 1/8" Arial - 1/8" Scale as set in Active Defaults
  3. Have access in user Text Macros to the "Active Default Values"

Hey Joe,

Not sure if this will help or not, but I don't believe "Default Text Style" is doing what you think it does.  That text style is just another static text style and actually you can name it anything you want to.  It might as well be named "Chief's OOB Text Style".  It doesn't have any unique function. 

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Hey Joe,

Not sure if this will help or not, but I don't believe "Default Text Style" is doing what you think it does.  That text style is just another static text style and actually you can name it anything you want to.  It might as well be named "Chief's OOB Text Style".  It doesn't have any unique function. 

You are wrong my friend.  If a Layer in the Layer Set has that in the "Text Style Column.  It will use the "Active Default Text Style".  In fact, if you change the "Active Default" any Text on that Layer will change instantly.

16 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

You are wrong my friend.  If a Layer in the Layer Set has that in the "Text Style Column.  It will use the "Active Default Text Style".  In fact, if you change the "Active Default" any Text on that Layer will change instantly.

Hmmm...That you are going to have to show me.  You must have found some magic combination I am unaware of.  If you have, I would love to know what it is.  That may come in handy.

Never mind, I think it was a part of the dreaded relationship between Layer Sets and Active Defaults.  There are some sneaky things going on with Text, Dimensions, Callouts and Markers.  Any of which will be created using the Text Style specified in Active Defaults, completely irrespective of the Text Style specified for the layer.  OTOH, Labels will automatically match what is specified in the Layer. 

I am going to need to add a bunch of Layer Sets to get the results I want.