Looking for a plan/layout reviewer

Tmidzin

Hi friends,

I'm just completing my first plan and would like to ask if someone could help me review my plan. I'm really trying to understand and make sure I have the plan complete and accurate since I'm trying to teach myself. Mainly if someone could review my roof on the chief plan and layout plan and also confirm that I dimensioned my plan correctly (I feel that even though I chose to auto add the build foundation that it may be off compared to my upstairs main floor)? For know I was only trying to learn how to exterior views, dimension plan, roof plan (this is why if someone as knowledge that my roof plane and trusses are correct I would appreciate the help) and if someone would be willing to offer any suggestions to the plan I would surely appreciate the help. Willing to pay for any offered help list your prices below. This is not a job for me just a stay at home mom wanting to pick up some design skills. Maybe I could look into some tutoring services someone to review my plan to make sure I am on the correct path?...

Thanks for the offers to provide help. I'm really trying to just to put something together that may have an example of something that could be used towards any style of home so this plan may really not even make sense. Any suggestions, feedback or help is greatly appreciated. I placed or worked mostly on default plan set. I know this is probably wrong and I should work on individual layer sets. If someone could just tell me is my basement lined up with my upstairs or how many times do I need to try and rebuild it? I don't know if my dimensions are accurate, roof plane I used the auto roof tool and I really tried to guess on creating porches and the chimney. I hope someone can look at this plan and provide an honest and helpful opinion or help tutor me to understand my mistakes. Thanks again for the offers to help.

Tami

Plan_1.plan

The one thing I saw as soon as I opened the plan, you have a roof plane cutting into the chimney (which should've produced an error message but I didn't get one) select that edge and pull it back manually then move it back until you get the wall of the chimney to close. Also, I'd make the ridge cap match the shingles type and color. You'll add a porch / steps / or deck at the back and side doors out of the garage? OR maybe they will only need a slab? Not sure about your question concerning the basement lining up.  Usually you'll get a message that your walls don't line up from one level to the next, with the options to correct.  I didn't get that nor do I see it in your plan. I will say you are better off the watch the help videos on how to build your fire place.  Not sure what / how you did, but what ever is happening in the basement doesn't make sense. And there appears to be spaces (Under the front porch) in the basement with no access?  Maybe that's the way you intended if so? or Maybe I'm misunderstanding the intent? I always like to use the Perspective Floor Overview Camera to check these things out. I'm in no ways an expert designer or CA guru by any means, over all (especially if your a novice and drew this as your first one out of the box) it looks pretty good!

Thanks for the response. I wasn't looking for a slab or anything to the side of the garage more a general question if the rear porch was accurate for structure post height. I couldn't find any sizing on the tutorial as to if a person wanted the basement in the ground what height would I set my structure posts at? Also like I mentioned I couldn't understand the chimney tutorial so I decided to try and draw cement walls and add brick around them. I will try your suggestion on manually adjusting the roof edge. And I just forgot to add a door to the basement under porch storage room. Thanks for the reminder I will go back and add that. My concern for the basement dimensions and lining up accurately with the main floor is I was reading a post that was commenting that people need to be aware that the basement needs to dimension to match the main floor exterior. Maybe I have my dimensions setup wrong to dimension the basement most of it appears to match except just was questioning if I had something inaccurate.

Also was wondering if someone could advise me if I added a basement bearing wall correctly? And for the size of the basement if adding that structural column in the center of that or would you suggest something else? I know I added two posts/columns but just want to try and get a good basic understanding of an overview of Chief. 

Much appreciated of your time to respond.

Thanks

Tami

6 minutes ago, Tmidzin said:

Thanks for the response. I wasn't looking for a slab or anything to the side of the garage more a general question if the rear porch was accurate for structure post height. I couldn't find any sizing on the tutorial as to if a person wanted the basement in the ground what height would I set my structure posts at? Also like I mentioned I couldn't understand the chimney tutorial so I decided to try and draw cement walls and add brick around them. I will try your suggestion on manually adjusting the roof edge. And I just forgot to add a door to the basement under porch storage room. Thanks for the reminder I will go back and add that. My concern for the basement dimensions and lining up accurately with the main floor is I was reading a post that was commenting that people need to be aware that the basement needs to dimension to match the main floor exterior. Maybe I have my dimensions setup wrong to dimension the basement most of it appears to match except just was questioning if I had something inaccurate.

Also was wondering if someone could advise me if I added a basement bearing wall correctly? And for the size of the basement if adding that structural column in the center of that or would you suggest something else? I know I added two posts/columns but just want to try and get a good basic understanding of an overview of Chief. 

Much appreciated of your time to respond.

Thanks

Tami

Tami - as far as structural items, if you were going to build this house or if designing for someone else, an engineer would need to advise regarding those things, and you certainly would not want to take liability for that.

The basement dims appear to be ok however, the interior walls (if not load bearing) don't necessarily have to align with above unless of course you have mechanical or electrical or plumbing that must have a chase or align from top to bottom to connect one floor with another.  I think the software if you set your defaults correctly (Check the CA learning videos) will automatically set the heights, pending what type of foundation you are building on, to accommodate a deck or porch attaching to the main house.  Any time you think you have an issue with that you can pull a cross Section/Elevation camera and check.  I did yours and it did not appear to be misaligned. Now the depth of the piers, again would best be determined by a structural engineer based on the site soils condition, but what is drawn in you plan also appears to be close to reality.

• Upvote 1

Could you look at my plan from earlier when you were helping me last weekend and tell me if I setup my roof accurately to provide a truss view? I thought I was supposed to go to the CAD Detail Management screen and it would provide views of the trusses so I could try and teach myself the truss layout plan views but I'm having a hard time understanding how people can get detailed roof truss views for a plan layout. This was the link I've been trying to follow.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00465/general-framing-guidelines.html

Thanks 

Tami

I am not an architect, or structural engineer. 

I would make all wet walls 6". I had one of the houses we bought some idiot run plumbing threw the cabinet and tile floor down into a basement. It is totally bone headed.  I  mean I get it for kitchen islands, but entire house?   

You have, in the basement, nearly 40' span on 11 7/8 TJI most likely at L360 - while I have no clue what live / dead load is in your locality... Joist will NOT span 40', and sometimes you need the blocking...:)

When framing floors, Chief architect places double rim joists under every interior wall and the stairs spanning entire length. This may be off..... 

In the basement "Family Room" you have a flatwork floor below the footer. Garage staircase has some extra foundation walls and footers.... it is your call but at $70/ln ft plus cost of footers --- waste.

I assume the Storage underneath of the porch is a safe/tornado room. Food storage has no access doors and the floor is below the footers.

You want to use common trusses 40', 38', 36'. Not 36' 6"....

Dining, pantry, master rooms most likely need a beam for a 40' opening. I would check with the engineer.

many others

• Upvote 1

On the surface it really doesn't look too bad but there are definitely a lot of things that need to be addressed.  I only looked at it for a few minutes but a few that stuck out to me right away...

• Your stairway doesn't appear to have proper clearances at your entry area.
  • The tub/shower combo on your main floor has been resized and is actually too small...plus, it needs a plumbing wall (even if you were to flip the unit it still needs another wall)
  • The tub/shower combo downstairs needs a plumbing wall as well (even if you were to flip the unit it still needs another wall)
  • Once you fix the 2 tubs and plumbing walls you won't have enough room for the toilets
  • Just a matter of opinion but the toilet and sink near the entryway should be flip flopped.  I don't think you want the toilet in front of the door, and I also think it's just good practice to design bathrooms so that you're always washing your hands on your way out. and not walking away from the door to get to the sink.  

Anyway, that's my free bit of advice for the day.  Have a good night. 

Heck of a good job for your first stab at a design in CA.

A few things I saw-

1-In regards to the main floor free spans mentioned above,the truss company will design girders to pick up the loads and transfer them to bearing locations- most likely exterior wall lines but sometimes interior bearing lines or points can be used to reduce large loads at the ends of those girders.

2- Also, as Brown Tiger mentioned the joist spans in the basement are far to great. Some bearing walls or beams to cut down on those spans will be required. These walls or beams can possibly be incorporated into picking up truss loads from above as well. As a rule I try to get the truss designer involved as early on in the framing layout process as I can so that we can account for chasing these loads to the foundation. It may help to remember that you should trace your load paths fro top to bottom- and adjust walls accordingly when possible.

( I didn't mean to get too in depth on the structural side- but structural and architectural design go hand in hand when considering overall building efficiency.)

3- Regarding dimensions you are needing several more interior dimensions on both floors. Also when dimensioning to window and door openings try to locate the centers of each.

Walls should be to face of framing.

Good looking design overall.

Keep after it -the details will come!