Raised Foundation and Garage Slab? How To?

HumbleChief

More embarrassing than you can ever know to post this but I cannot understand this simplest of tasks. Missing (still) something very basic in the structure dbx. Here's a video of my (misdirected) thought process. I WILL PAY SOMEONE TO WALK ME THROUGH THIS. Give me your PayPal info and I will send payment.

I simply cannot understand how this works. I know it seems like I might be making this up because I have gone 15 years without understanding this but I am not making this up. Appreciate any help.

GARAGE_SLAB_PLAN.plan

would love to know the answer too. and I have been drawing for 12years with chief also.

been kludging it ever since.

filed it in the 'too hard' basket until they eventually bring out CA version x20 with a useful structure dialogue box user interface to

allow vertical heights to be easily set based off an arbitrary reference floor level of say 0.0 which is what happens in the real world.

wouldnt complain if the terrain code was changed so it worked in a similar way.

I have not come across 1 useful 5min CA video by anyone that is clear and concise in explaining a simple slab and foundation example such as this.

start with blank page.

draw.

click.

set it up like this.

take a cross section. yes. it works.

hit the 3D. yes, it is shown correct. foundations on piles next to a slab.

I'll even take kludges (that are better than mine) that work for now.

nope. nobody...please, someone create one. I'll pay to be shown too.

B

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Larry,

At some point you will need to draw that Foundation Wall or edit the Wall Height in a 3D View.

THANK YOU JOE.  I was thinking this was an easy thing for Chief and a very standard building condition but I think I was wrong. Cheif cannot automatically build this condition? And the manual wall drawing was what I was missing. Your (and Perry's) tip about the -18 to get me 6" stem wall helped a LOT - where do I send the money??

6 minutes ago, bernie said:

would love to know the answer too. and I have been drawing for 12years with chief also.

been kludging it ever since.

filed it in the 'too hard' basket until they eventually bring out CA version x20 with a useful structure dialogue box user interface to

allow vertical heights to be easily set based off an arbitrary reference floor level of say 0.0 which is what happens in the real world.

wouldnt complain if the terrain code was changed so it worked in a similar way.

I have not come across 1 useful 5min CA video by anyone that is clear and concise in explaining a simple slab and foundation example such as this.

start with blank page.

draw.

click.

set it up like this.

take a cross section. yes. it works.

hit the 3D. yes, it is shown correct. foundations on piles next to a slab.

I'll even take kludges (that are better than mine) that work for now.

nope. nobody...please, someone create one. I'll pay to be shown too.

B

Bernie I don't think condition can be built in Chief without some manual tweaking of the section or the foundation wall next to the raised slab.

2 quick notes Larry...

1.  I personally don't think you should be using a monolithic foundation for that situation.

2.  I think most foundations that combine multiple "foundation types" are going to require a little manual modification.

Video when I have a few minutes...

• Upvote 1

Here you guy Larry.  I think its definitely worth watching for anyone dealing with a similar situation.

NOTE:  Later in the video took a moment to reshape a couple wall polylines.  I noticed after the fact that the little step in the foundation was actually being caused by some inconsistencies in the wall definitions above.  It could have been fixed automatically by adjusting those wall definitions. 

• Upvote 3

It can be done very easily automatically to late now but will do in the morning, unless Michael's video did it for you. I think what you are talking about is when a slab butts into a raised foundation then it lowers the stem wall down to the slab height.

• Upvote 1

Not sure what Perry's method is, but his post got me to thinking about this again, and I think I came up with a better method than than the first one I posted...

By the way, there may be better ways still, I'm not sure.  We honestly don't build like this around here so today is really the first time I've tried to make this particular situation happen.  

NOTE:  At one point in the video I set the wall to the invisible wall type.  That step is not actually necessary...it just makes for a little better line display in some views.  If you do set the wall to invisible,  you'll just need to make sure that wall layer is on for the footing to show up. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, dshall said:

You don't need to make wall 1/128",  make invisible and also at that wall make footing 8x8. ( shovel footing).

Ya, I mentioned in the video you can make the footing smaller.  Regarding the wall thickness though...if you don't make the wall super narrow you end up with this extra bugger...

Sill plate.jpg

Yes you could turn off auto framing and delete it, or maybe put it on its own layer and hide the layer, or whatever, but 2 extra seconds to change the wall thickness and it goes away for good.  Easy peasy. 

• Upvote 2

That was awesome. I so, so appreciate the time you took to clarify things. Looked so simple and I was even able to make changes that actually worked as shown. Really had some fundamental misunderstandings of the structure dbx and this clarifies things a lot. I also Skyped a bit with Glenn yesterday and he helped a ton too as always plus just great talking to him.. Anyway thanks to everyone that was such a great help.

8 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Ya, I mentioned in the video you can make the footing smaller.  Regarding the wall thickness though...if you don't make the wall super narrow you end up with this extra bugger...

Sill plate.jpg

Yes you could turn off auto framing and delete it, or maybe put it on its own layer and hide the layer, or whatever, but 2 extra seconds to change the wall thickness and it goes away for good.  Easy peasy. 

You can just make that stem wall invisible.