X9 View Draw Order Edit Tool Question

HumbleChief

Should be an easy way to do this but can't seem to find the magic. When I click on an object the "View Draw Order Edit Tool" appears in the tool bar but I need to click on it to get the 'tools' like send forward/back etc. I would like the 'tools' to appear when I click on an object without the extra click on the View Draw button. Gotta be easy but I can't the find the tools in the menu customization selections. Is there a preference or something?

Just watched the new features video and it looks like this 'extra step' is needed to get to the tools. Am I getting this wrong? Maybe a Hot Key is the only way to get to those tools quickly? 

Just now, Joe_Carrick said:

Larry, I think Hotkeys are the only way to do it.  I use "S,D,G" for "Select Drawing Group".  You could also assign Hotkeys for "Move Forward" and "Send Back" - but "View Drawing Order" is more difficult.

This is the way to go.  I have set  up hot keys to carry out these operations.  4 key strokes and I am done  (less than Joe's 6 keystrokes......  I have practiced with keystrokes longer than Joe)....  easy peasy.

1 hour ago, dshall said:

This is the way to go.  I have set  up hot keys to carry out these operations.  4 key strokes and I am done  (less than Joe's 6 keystrokes......  I have practiced with keystrokes longer than Joe)....  easy peasy.

Thanks you guys. I went and used a simple single key 'V' of course works a charm. Was wondering - would anyone else like to see those tools available when selecting an object without the extra step? Is there a reason to have that extra step?

7 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Was wondering - would anyone else like to see those tools available when selecting an object without the extra step? Is there a reason to have that extra step?

I'm ok with it as is.  I don't expect to have to use it that much so the extra step isn't a big deal to me. 

The reason is probably just to keep the Edit Toolbar from becoming crowded.

8 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Thanks you guys. I went and used a simple single key 'V' of course works a charm. Was wondering - would anyone else like to see those tools available when selecting an object without the extra step? Is there a reason to have that extra step?

There is no extra step,  4 key strokes for me and I am done.  It works for me as is.  It cannot get much quicker.

1 minute ago, dshall said:

There is no extra step,  4 key strokes for me and I am done.  It works for me as is.  It cannot get much quicker.

I'm always amazed at your ability to remember and use dozens of Hotkeys and Combinations.  I'm pretty much limited to the Ctrl-Key standards (Copy/Paste/Paste in Place/Cut/Delete/Undo)

Consequently I am a "Mouse" user for almost anything else.  I am comfortable using Menus and Toolbars much more than Hotkeys.

18 minutes ago, dshall said:

Yes there is an extra step. The extra step needed to click the icon or hit a (4 really?) hot key(s) instead of having those tools appear whenever an object is selected. I would like to add tool menu, like a flyout to my tool bars but can't find a way to do so.

16 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Yes there is an extra step. The extra step needed to click the icon or hit a (4 really?) hot key(s) instead of having those tools appear whenever an object is selected. I would like to add tool menu, like a flyout to my tool bars but can't find a way to do so.

You win Larry.  I thought hitting only 4 keys was pretty quick,  takes about .003 seconds,  if CA can come up with a faster way,  that is great.

Just now, dshall said:

You win Larry.  I thought hitting only 4 keys was pretty quick,  takes about .003 seconds,  if CA can come up with a faster way,  that is great.

Really? Sorry, is hitting a hot key(s) not an extra step? Seems like one to me, that's all I'm saying. Isn't it always better to eliminate steps (even fast ones) when designing a software interface? Would you or other users prefer there were no extra steps if you could have it that way or do think the extra steps help keep the interface cleaner and more functional and is worth the albeit small effort?