X-9's best features

dshall

Hey Scott,

As I mentioned in my email, it looks like I'm not going to be able to make it.  It sounds like Joe is going to be there anyway so you should be in good hands. 

FWIW, Joe and I both have our own systems for area analysis and for header labels and actually almost all of it was and still is already possibly in X8 and prior...even the label switching (header labels in one layer set and standard window labels in another) WITHOUT using referenced macros.  I just chose to keep my previous label switching method on tha low low just because the method has a potential to cause problems with your layer sets if you don't follow a very strict set of rules.  The label switching just got a whole lot easier and more versatile in X9 though so now it can be safely used by just aboot anyone. 

My favorite features in X9 though??  There are actually quite a few that are pretty notable to me personally but among them...

• The new OIP fields.  Super cool having 4 usable text fields.  This one is a biggie for anyone using a lot of macros for plan automation. 
  • The new Ruby attributes we were given are great.
  • The new drawing group controls.  That one is sweet.  Might be my favorite once I get to use it a little more
  • The new Shelf Ceiling and the seemingly under-touted "Flush Eve" will both save a lot of unnecessary futzing around to get those areas properly detailed. 
  • The speed of rendering (including the unadvertised fact that the various special rendering types are temporarily suspended during camera moves) is a fantastic improvement.
  • The ability to specify handles and locations for door a drawer fronts on an item by item bass is super handy. 

I don't know, it's hard to say.  On the surface, it doesn't seem like a particularly flashy upgrade this time around, but I think the truth is that it's actually one of the best from a productivity enhancement standpoint (at least for me). 

BUMP,  I can't explain it,  but it is cumbersome looking for this post....  anybody have an idea how I can get to it quickly without hunting for it?  For some reason in the past iteration of this site,  I could find posts quite easily.

Anyway,  trying to keep this at the top so I can find it easily when I need to on Friday to set up the GTM.

I sent out an email reminder to all of the folks that I think want to join in the workshop this Friday.  If you did not get a reminder,  let me know and I will include you.  We  start promptly on time,  so if you don't have your ducks in a row and you are not ready at 3:00 rpm pst,  you will miss out.  I like to respect everybody's time,  so please be on time.

Rob Littleton,  I still need your email if  you are interested.  You can email it to me at     dscotthall@macdotcom  ............

Found it but don't understand it quite yet.

FLUSH EAVE.PNG

HELP file;

Specify how the roof Eaves are configured.
• Specify how the rafter and truss ends are Cut by selecting either Square Cut or Plumb Cut.
• Check Boxed Eave to produce horizontal boxed eaves or uncheck it for sloping eaves. You can also change this for individual roof planes in the Roof Plane Specification dialog. See Boxed Eaves.
• Check Flush Eave to produce box eaves that build flush with the adjacent exterior wall. When unchecked, boxed eaves build to the gable fascia.
• Higher Eaves Boxed - If the selected roof plane contains more than one eave, check this box to box the higher eaves as well as the lower ones.

3 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Larry,

Don't worry about it.  This is a detail that I've never seen used in Southern California - so it's not something you should be concerned with.

Morning Joe, Actually I'm most concerned about learning all I can about Chief. Having this option is a really nice feature added to Chief, IMO. For others who are curious here's a quick vid.

The flush eave is too wide when used in conjunction with a brick veneer wall (for example).
It looks like it is the same width as the outside brick skin(in this case 110mm).

It would normally only be the width of the flush eave material itself (maybe 10-20mm), not the full width of the outerskin of the gable wall.
The normal soffit lining would extend to the back of the flush eave lining and the flush eave lining would project down below the soffit lining about 30mm to take a quad (or similar) molding - (although I understand that could be getting a little hard to do).

In the case of a timber framed wall, it doesn't look too bad (I assume because the outer wall layer thickness of the gable wall is only 10mm) except for the fact that there would not be a vertical join line between the flush eave lining and the gable wall - the external lining would continue from the gable wall across the flush eave in continuous lengths.

I think the width of the flush eave needs to be controlled by the flush eave material thickness and not the thickness of the outer layer of the gable wall.

I have sent in several bug reports about the flush eave feature and with each beta version they have improved, but they still need a little more work.

New Image_156.jpg

New Image_157.jpg

For the GTM on Friday, it would be helpful if everyone could give a brief description of what you would like to see or have covered.  Some of the macros that I can demo will only work in X9 because of some new attributes & features CA has made available. 

• Door/Window Labels different for Floor Plans vs Framing Plans
  • Automatic Plan Name depending on Floor and Plan Type
  • Drawing Scale depending on Layer Set

OTOH, there is a lot that doesn't require X9

• Area Analysis using closed Polylines
  • Roof Areas (Tables showing a variety of information for each Roof Plane)
  • Living Areas (per Floor and Totals)
  • Framing Labels (Plans and Wall Details)
  • Ceiling Heights per Floor

It will not be possible to go into a lot of detail for everything in just 1 hour but I will be able to show a lot of the above.

If you have any specific questions beyond that I will be happy to answer as time permits.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, chief58 said:

Joe I would like ceiting heights per floor and per room if you can explain that one at the GTM,  and the place they need to go from subfloor to bottom of foor or ceiling joist

OK, This one will be an interesting discussion because there are a variety of ways to accomplish it - particularly for the room by room basis.

flush eave - fantastic. use on most houses here with gables.

question: what is "OIP" you are all talking about?

question: what macro functionality got added in x9 (if any) that we can now hook into?

question: Joe, in x9 do we now have a macro to look up the path of the .plan file instead of me still having to hardcode it?

cheers,

Bernie, NZ

1 hour ago, bernie said:

flush eave - fantastic. use on most houses here with gables.

question: what is "OIP" you are all talking about?

question: what macro functionality got added in x9 (if any) that we can now hook into?

question: Joe, in x9 do we now have a macro to look up the path of the .plan file instead of me still having to hardcode it?

cheers,

Bernie, NZ

OIP = Object Information Panel...

OIP.png

Added macro functionality...a good handful of new object attributes (including the new OIP fields)

Regarding the file path...the %file% macro already gave us the file path.