X-9's best features

dshall

X9 MACRO  GOTOMEEETING LINEUP

DIPSH**HALL,  Jon Scussel (Spelling corrected),   NYGreg,  Perry  (because he always shows up),  Ray Rood the "Fireman",  OKC,  MARK MCA,  JOE CARRICK, ROBERT EVANCE,  "ALAN HIP WADERS LEHMAN"  (you guys figure out what "hip waders mean")  ,  DAVID SKOGG,  CHOPSAW,  LARRY "HOT KEY" HAWES,  MOE G.,  SCOTT MENARD,  BRIAN NEWKIRK ,  CHARLES VOLZ,  MATT KENNEDY,  ALAN BUTLER,  JPC (i always love to hear what JPC has to offer),  ZOWIE (I BET HE IS GREEK OR FROM THE FORMER YUGOSLAVIA),  CHRIS ROOD,  LANCE VOORHEIS,  CAPITAL DESIGNS,  .....................    24 TO DATE  25 MAX

OKAY,  there is some interest,  I will keep a running log of those interested,  the GTM will probably happen within 3 weeks,  I need to get a commitment from The Alaskan Son and Joe  Carrick so they can share how their macros work.  This GTM will be a time saver and will definitely be worth your time.  First 25 are guaranteed a seat.

Now that we are in public X9 BETA,  we can talk about X9 publicly.  I have been working with X9 for several months now.  It's interesting that I have forgotten what the new features are except for 2 features.

Please,  let me know what YOUR best new features are.

But for me,  the best new features were provided by outside MACRO WRITERS,  Joe Carrick and Michael that Alaskan Guy.  CA should get some credit because there was something they did under the hood that enabled Joe and Michael to write the macros.  I am not sure if they added Hollybrock dual carbs or bored out cylinders or turbo injectors,  but whatever it was,  it is appreciated.

Joe came up with a way to provide auto header labels.  Not a perfect solution,  but helpful until CA figures out how to do it.

Michael came up with a way to auto tabulate areas.  We know that CA will give you the living area....  personally I have never used it because I do not trust it and I do not trust my modeling skills to get accurate areas,  so it is essentially useless info.  What Michael did was to come up with macros that can auto tabulate FAR's,  COVERAGES,  NEW FLOOR AREAS,  EXISTING FLOOR AREAS,  IMPERVIOUS AREAS,  REQUIRED ATTIC VENTILATION,  REQUIRED CRAWL SPACE VENTILATION etc.  It is not super auto,  but with a little help from me,  I get the info.

Just yesterday I was meeting with a client,we were maxing out the FAR,  in seconds I was able to get the right size footprint shape......  all done in front of client.  Can you imagine how much time this saved me AND HOW MUCH TIME IT SAVED MY CLIENT.  Do you think he is a client for life?   Michael's macro is my highlight of X9.

Anyway,  if there is enough interest in this,  I would be willing to host a GTM with interested parties to discuss their macros and to maybe "tweak" the macros.  Joe and Michael do charge for the macros,  however the price is very reasonable,  less than $25.00 (I think).  Pays for itself on the first job.

NOTE FROM JOE:

"I would be happy to contribute to this meeting.  We just need to coordinate the date and time.  I golf on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday mornings - not negotiable ;)

Michael and I have similar (but different) approaches to Area Analysis and Door/window Labels.  I also have some other macros that I can demo during the GTM.  The final release of X9 will be mid February and I've been told there will be some additional capabilities in that release.  It might be better to have the GTM a week or 2 after that."

• Upvote 2

I am definitely interested Scott. I also agree that Mikes Macro's are very reasonable and so is Joe's. I also purchased Macro's from both and Mike's area calculation macro is awesome, altho I use it rarely, it is a big help when you do need them. Not to mention it's always nice to support them and everything they do to help out the community.

• Upvote 1

Best new feature? For me I find X9's new features completely underwhelming - in a good way. There's no surprises, no quirks added, just a fine, stable, very usable piece of software. I kept my expectations low and was not surprised or disappointed but I just know that X9 is going to better as a tool for my business in a lot of unseen ways. Really enjoying using it and look forward to learning more about it.

I haven't explored the macro stuff but would be interested to learn more.

Can't wait to see the calculation Macro's in person.

With all the different tabulations required for FAR, Impervious area and the rest Scott mentioned, I can see it being a real time saver.

Count me in for the online meeting if it materializes.

4 minutes ago, RL-inc said:

Can't wait to see the calculation Macro's in person.

With all the different tabulations required for FAR, Impervious area and the rest Scott mentioned, I can see it being a real time saver.

Count me in for the online meeting if it materializes.

I know the thread title and the content aren't that focused but what are your favorite features? Curious.

.Scott, thanks for including me, because I'm always there. Joe's header macro is my fav, works great for me, and it's automatic once set up-no changes after. It also works in the schedule's automatically.,  Saves a lot of time for me

I just downloaded x9 last night and I am working a reno show this weekend.

We do design build renos.  The 360 viewer for showing clients is awesome...it looks so good that maybe raytrace is not needed and there is no requirement for the customer to do anything but click on link...here is one i did yesterday for interest.

https://accounts.chiefarchitect.com/360/493412657314113

I look forward to finding out about other new items.

Sent email re GTM

For me, (kitchens) the OIP is great, can now quickly get what is needed to order cabinets into a schedule. Then copy paste to spreadsheet, drag and drop to on line ordering OR into 2020, OR paste into spreadsheet order forms. Time saved and accuracy is huge. Will do a video once new label macros are finished. 

Cabinet doors on separate layer. Much easier to get detail from view allowing dimensions snapped to openings. 

Like ability to replace by dragging from library, especially when making odd symbols to check changes to origin, stretch planes. 

Undo speed and increased amount, ...rendering is nice. 

I like the lower ceiling for any selected room that allows a room box within a larger room, Great for closets or custom lower direct vent fireplace boxes! Finally!

I also like the panels feature to the stair dialog, making cable raiing or any special panel easier to work with on stairs.

I also love the wall niche tool.  I've spend far to many hours creating those with all kinds of other tools, and now this is fast and useful.

The ambient occlusion for non-ray traced renderings is some much nicer to look at with clients.

I love the speed up in the back-up or undo tool

The 360 degree rendering option is nice, but I'm not there quite yet.  I'm sure my clients will love it though.

I really like the "group select" feature in some of the preference menus, which allows us to change textures much faster than the one by one of the past.

There are many more subtle ones, which I hope to remember to use.

Scott, Please count me in for a ringside seat at the meeting.  I think the most useful new features for me will be the Railing and Stair Railing improvements.  Also the various new rendering improvements and features including the unadvertised fix that allows walkthroughs to ascend and descend the same set of stairs to give complete coverage of the house in one take.

Hey guys,  I am going to try to set  up this GTM in the upcoming week.  I do not have a commitment from Michael and I am not sure if I will be able to fit within Joe's schedule.  If those guys can't make it,  I will share with you what I know about these macros.  This should be some good stuff for us to discuss.  I  will probably hold it Friday at 3:00 pm PST or early Saturday  5:00 am PST.  I know,  an early time on Saturday,  I am trying to make it work for several different time zones.

Hey guys,  I will hold the GTM for macros on Friday,January 20th at 3:00 pm Pacific Standard Time.  I will send out email invites at 2:45 pst.  

For those of you not versed in the process,  answer the email I send you,  follow instructions,  and you should be able to join meeting in about 5 minutes.

Joe will be there,  I am not sure about Michael yet.