Cross Hair?

Larry_Sweeney

Two things: 

1. Is the line weight of the cross hairs changeable and if so where? They are so fine that even making them black they become had to see at times. At least for these tired poor eyes.

2. Is there a way to put a solid fill in the cross hair arrow pointer and move it to the "front"? I think the arrow should show up no matter what color you are on. I noticed that when on some of the darker colors it becomes very hard to see. Maybe nobody else has this problem, but after a long day in front of a computer screen this "old fart" has problems seeing and I want to blame it on something other than my age.  :)

I find that some colors are better for cross hairs than others. Black is a decidedly a poor color for visibility for me. We default to a blue, but others have found that purple or other colors work better for them. Pick a color that contrasts well with the typical colors you use in you plan.

Another option is to set the minimum pixel width in preferences, but that doesn't affect cross hairs.

A sledge hammer approach is to drop the resolution of your display so that the pixels are bigger.

Doug.....When I move my cursor around in plan view I just have cross hairs. When I move over the cursor over to an elevation I have cross hairs "plus" an arrow pointer. It's this arrow I"m talking about having a solid fill. Right now it has a fill, but it is semi-transparent and many times when the cross hairs and this arrow is over a colored area it is hard to see whereas if the arrow had a solid fill that wasn't semi-transparent things would be much better. That is, at least for these tired poor eyes.

Doug.....When I move my cursor around in plan view I just have cross hairs. When I move over the cursor over to an elevation I have cross hairs "plus" an arrow pointer. It's this arrow I"m talking about having a solid fill. Right now it has a fill, but it is semi-transparent and many times when the cross hairs and this arrow is over a colored area it is hard to see whereas if the arrow had a solid fill that wasn't semi-transparent things would be much better. That is, at least for these tired poor eyes.

Are you in "Select Objects" mode ?

In other modes like doors or windows you will not have the pointer.

In some other modes like "Revision Cloud" you will have a special symbol instead.

Doug.....What about giving a solid fill to the pointer arrow that's with the cross hairs so it is "in front" of everything?

I have a solid filled white with black outline arrow that shows over everything but I have never changed it and do not know where to do that.

I have red cross hairs because when they were black I was accidently leaving then in screen shots, and having to redo the shots.

post-138-0-04412200-1393521752_thumb.jpg

For some creation modes we use a cross cursor + instead of an arrow or cabinet or ... When we are using the cross cursor we hide it when cross hairs are on and the aperture size is zero.

The Arrow cursor is set in the control panel of the system on Windows.

There is also a transparency setting for the overlay that draws feedback for selected objects, cross hairs and cursors.

Cursors are drawn on this layer when the "Synchronize with Cursor" option is checked. If you uncheck this option then Cursors are drawn by the system and don't use the transparency setting.

The transparency can also be controlled. 20% is the default we chose. You may want to try tweaking this up/down. Anything less than about 5% or greater than about 75% is probably no good, but that is a judgment call based on your personal preferences and the colors you choose for highlighting things.

• Upvote 2

For some creation modes we use a cross cursor + instead of an arrow or cabinet or ... When we are using the cross cursor we hide it when cross hairs are on and the aperture size is zero.

The Arrow cursor is set in the control panel of the system on Windows.

There is also a transparency setting for the overlay that draws feedback for selected objects, cross hairs and cursors.

Cursors are drawn on this layer when the "Synchronize with Cursor" option is checked. If you uncheck this option then Cursors are drawn by the system and don't use the transparency setting.

The transparency can also be controlled. 20% is the default we chose. You may want to try tweaking this up/down. Anything less than about 5% or greater than about 75% is probably no good, but that is a judgment call based on your personal preferences and the colors you choose for highlighting things.

Thanks, haven't been to that part of control panel for years.  Always interesting to delve into deeper functions of the program, like transparency setting. :)

2. Is there a way to put a solid fill in the cross hair arrow pointer and move it to the "front"? I think the arrow should show up no matter what color you are on. I noticed that when on some of the darker colors it becomes very hard to see. Maybe nobody else has this problem, but after a long day in front of a computer screen this "old fart" has problems seeing and I want to blame it on something other than my age.  :)

Well Larry, now that I am running version X6, I have lost the black outline to my arrow cursor and although it is on top of everything so far, I have trouble seeing it too . . . . :mellow: