Layers and layer sets

spbreslin

Hi all,

I'm new to Chief and I'm having problems with figuring out how to make changes on one layer set that don't show up on others where they aren't appropriate. For instance:

I'm working on a remodel where I need to show the existing conditions and where walls and other items that are to be demo'd are located. I set up a layer set for the existing conditions and another for demolition. Then I created a new layer for Walls, Demo. When I replace a wall on the Demo layer set plan with a Demolition 4 wall placed on the Walls, Demo layer the same wall in the existing conditions layer set disappears even though I have unchecked the Walls, Demo layer on that layer set. I have struggled with this for hours and can't find a way to isolate the changes to the appropriate layer set. Any suggestions?

If I understand your question, two walls cannot occupy the same space, even on two different layers. There are ways around this limitation but not easy nor dependable ways. Most remodelers here will use two different plans. One to show the existing plan and another to show the proposed plan with the walls of the existing shown in CAD, from a 'CAD detail' 'behind' the proposed walls on a separate locked layer. There's a traiing video showing this technique, if it's what you are asking.

Forgive me if I misunderstood your question and as always it's best to wait for those who know more about such things to give you a more definitive answer.

If you search the training videos 'remodel' there's some great info there on a couple different processes. Check #362 - 367 Good stuff.

I just reviewed video #362 and it's just OK. There's faster and more efficient ways to accomplish same. Let us know and you may get a video lesson that will be helpful.

Thanks. I've already viewed those videos multiple times but nowhere do they recommend creating separate .plan files for existing and new. I'm working with your suggestion now and it seems to make the most sense. The only thing I don't know is if I can import these .plan files into my final layout. I'm assuming that I can.

12 minutes ago, spbreslin said:

Thanks. I've already viewed those videos multiple times but nowhere do they recommend creating separate .plan files for existing and new. I'm working with your suggestion now and it seems to make the most sense. The only thing I don't know is if I can import these .plan files into my final layout. I'm assuming that I can.

Yes, any .plan can be sent to Layout.

You'll also notice the narrator doesn't have a separate Layer Set for the 'bare bones' as built CAD block. I think he is just showing some basics but there are faster methods and if you watch the entire series you'll get the idea and can develop your own methods.

I do many addition remodel projects and have to create as-built drawings as the base plan.

My method is:

1- Create the as-built and use it as the basis for new design ideas

2- Copy design ideas and revise until we have client sign off

3- Use the a copy of the as-built plan as the basis for the demolition plan- this plan will have all of the demo wall types and layers

4- Keep the demolition plan, final addition- remodel design plan and the associated layout file together in one folder ( i.e.. John Doe const doc folder)

(This layout file can be updated for either the demo plan or new work as needed for building department corrections, etc... without the concern of either plan file disrupting the other)

I always keep the original as-built completely separate for reference later in case of conflicts in the field.

Also- much agreed with Humble- in most remodels new walls will conflict with existing demo wall locations.

Door and windows too.

CA doesn't like these conditions at all.

Separate demo and remodel plans eliminate those conflicts.

DZ

When you say that when you "remove a wall or window it shows from the background automatically" are you meaning that you select the lines in the cad detail of the existing structure and delete them?

I'm guessing I'm not getting your exact process because that seems a bit labor intensive .