X9 stability

Ridge_Runner

1 hour ago, kzuiderveld said:

Nope, unfortunately not true. I am renting the software (auto-renewal every month), so my SSA is valid until 1/28/17 in my case (then it gets renewed). This does disqualify me (and likely everyone that is renting) from using X9 beta. I contacted support, but I'm getting the cold shoulder unfortunately. Would have loved to try out X9. 

Sorry about that, didn't even think about those renting. When I say current SSA, I was assuming paid for this year not until Feb. 15th.

1 hour ago, Evolution said:

I have backed up my installer from X8 and all my libraries and textures including my user libraries, but still haven't downloaded X9B.  Just to be sure, if we do opt to download X9B before the final version of X9 is out, and then upgrade to X9 we don't have to do migration of libraries, files etc again, correct?

Thanks,

When I downloaded and installed X9, the word Beta is gone, so it might be the final version until the 1st update.

I downloaded it and started working it the last two days. I only see one issue my render views are grainier . The ceiling lighting is poor. I know how to fix all this in Raytrace but opened  up x8 and looked at some views and they were a lot better. It begs the question of video card demand and I have a pretty dang good graphics card and my processor is not the issue. Anyone have any thoughts or is anyone experiencing the same thing. Its all most like it is using bit map on all the surfaces...

19 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Hi Guys, been a while since I posted but that is not quite correct,

I have SSA but it is not valid to Feb 15th so I can't get the Beta,

so I asked yesterday to try it before renewing as it seems my $500

didn't get me much last year, but I was told no.

So I am here reading X9 posts to see if it is worth SSA this year,

since I am not a full-time Chiefer , but hoping to spend more time

using it again this year now I will be working back in Town.

Thanks.

Glad you're back. I remember you from when I first started X7 as being VERY helpful and knowledgeable. I actually thought you had to be part of staff. Sorry they treat you this way nor understand how much value you have brought to new sales. You and a select few others out here s/b free SSA. If they put correct value to the best contributors out here they see this $500 is nothing compared. It reminds me of lower utility bill home designs and appraisers/banks struggling to find comps and realize value all around the nation. That is the biggest reason why solar and these homes are not mass producing all around the USA.  

Last I went from X7-X8 I lost my textures and user library any insight on how to make sure this is smooth sailing? 

29 minutes ago, ICTHOMES said:

Last I went from X7-X8 I lost my textures and user library any insight on how to make sure this is smooth sailing? 

You do a back up of everything, first before you migrate to the newer software, including X8 installer. Check out KB-01342 on the CA website, please.

1 hour ago, ICTHOMES said:

Glad you're back. I remember you from when I first started X7 as being VERY helpful and knowledgeable. I actually thought you had to be part of staff. Sorry they treat you this way nor understand how much value you have brought to new sales. You and a select few others out here s/b free SSA. If they put correct value to the best contributors out here they see this $500 is nothing compared. It reminds me of lower utility bill home designs and appraisers/banks struggling to find comps and realize value all around the nation. That is the biggest reason why solar and these homes are not mass producing all around the USA.  

Hi ICTHOMES ,  I am always happy to help if I can and find it helps me learn too , but I appreciate the kinds words , thanks very much.

I am working back in town thankfully after doing a Contract without internet access etc for many months , so I am hoping to spend a bit

more time with Chief and learning it's many in and outs :)  here on Chief Forum and over on the Home side too this year.

Sounds like I have a big decision today though , I was not really expecting Scott's comment earlier in the thread yesterday , so I am now thinking

X9 is really X8.5  :).

Parkwest,

Seems just because the credit card payment is made, the credit card would not accept the charge for my SSA today.

Guess bank transfers still take time............ That's OK I still have 17 days of SSA, updates for a year they say........ oops I was beginning to think again...

Oh before you ask collected money yesterday, deposited, transfer today, pay SSA tomorrow......... Hope CA computers work on the weekends.

Well I bit the Bullet and got SSA and now I am wondering why ..... I pulled a Bathroom Reno plan out of X7 today to Update it as the Client is reconsidering the Project and there seems to be a number of issues even on this simple plan , that don't show in X7. The plan is messy I admit, since it is a bathroom on the 2nd floor and I didn't want to draw more of the house than I needed to, so perhaps it's mostly "Pilot Error" but so far.....

- all the material regions (shower tile) were invisible in 3D, I could see them in 2D and select them but couldn't see them in a camera view, so I deleted and redid them

- Drywall is gone off one Corner (CA has never like different width walls 2x6 >2x4 --- did this bug come back? ) , I moved cabinets away etc but it didn't help.

- although there are no moldings in the Room it appears that there is a shadow of Crown Molding or ???? around the Room

- The Mirror lost it's reflections  ( maybe a preference setting I missed somewhere? I seem to remember one )

*** Ok found the reflection setting in the Edit Camera View DBX, it is no longer a global preference on the Render Tab as previously

- After changing the Countertops to White Carrara Marble one Cabinet's Material appears to be 90 deg. to the other two (it's blurry too)..... what I did was I changed the indicated cabinet's countertop to Carrara and the backsplash to the same Carrara I used in the Shower and then made it the Cabinet Default (using button), and the other two cabinets Countertops changed but the backsplash I had to do manually still for each one ?

Thanks for any advice....

Bathroom_no drywall_X7.jpg

Bathroom_no drywall.jpg

@kzuiderveld,I am renting to own as well.  I'm pretty sure it will work for you like you said in one of your previous posts. On your renewal date that is.  My payment was processed yesterday, so my SSA renewal now shows valid to 2/17/2017, and I was able to download X9 today and am installing it on my computers now.  Frustrating I know, that you will have to wait another week and a half to get it.  But once you get there I'm pretty confident it will be smooth sailing.

• Upvote 1

Mick,

You'd probably be best to watch the "What's New in X9" video.  Some of what you're pointing out is Ambient Occlusion.  You can turn it off or turn it down by going to Edit>Default Settings>Camera>General Camera.  Then about 3/4 of the way down is the Ambient Occlusion setting.  I have mine set at about 70%.  Just enough to not be a bother.

A lot of that stuff though just sounds like random material issues.  There has been somewhat of an overhaul of the materials...not to mention they've dropped some and have redone others.

Thanks for any advice...

X9 is still being beta tested.  It should not be a huge surprise if you find some problems.  If you do find any problems, please do us and all of the other users a favor by reporting them to our technical support team.  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/#contact

This includes any problems with bringing plans forward from prior versions. When you report these kinds of problems please include the original plan from the prior version (not the plan after you have saved it in X9).  We can't verify that it worked or looked different in the prior version without the original plan.

Thanks Jonathan , the Ambient Occlusion Tip does seem to be the issue and I would not have found that answer myself, I'm guessing it is worse as the room is only 5ft wide ? judging from Kevin's comment about Shadows in X9. ( I have Shadows off in Defaults?)  Though at 70% i still see it so I have had to put it on 0% as at 25% I could still see it but now I'm looking for it too.

The Default Camera General Tab is now where the Reflections Global Check box is too , so no need to edit per Camera as I thought...

You are Correct I haven't see the New videos yet , I did watch them earlier as I didn't want to tease myself with the "goodies" in X9 as I was not going to renew right up the last minute.

@Dermot .... Ok , I will have a look at another copy of the Plan and try and figure out what I did to loose the Drywall as I can't show Clients this and I can't get a material region to cover it either for some reason (no wall layer?)

- also Every time I start X9 it ask if I want it to be associated with Plan and layout files etc , if you choose "do not ask again" you cannot choose Yes....it grays out

- there are (was?)  also some missing textures in the Core Content Library after I installed it too.

- the Materials Tab of an Item which now has a Component and Materials Column is too small you have to scroll sideways to find and change the material, it does not change even if you enlarge the DBX.

You guys are welcome...

Personally I would like to see the Ambient Occlusion be adjustable so it doesn't come so far out of the corner..rather than changing the "transparency" of it.  I think I submitted it already to CA, though.

If you look around, corners are defined by lighting, etc...and I think Ambient Occlusion is the step in the right direction...I just think it's too strong.

2 hours ago, HamlinBC said:

You guys are welcome...

Personally I would like to see the Ambient Occlusion be adjustable so it doesn't come so far out of the corner..rather than changing the "transparency" of it.  I think I submitted it already to CA, though.

If you look around, corners are defined by lighting, etc...and I think Ambient Occlusion is the step in the right direction...I just think it's too strong.

I agree it is too strong , I usually turn Shadows etc off as it look more Un-natural with them on .... I am using my old Computer with a GTX 470 at the moment so that maybe part of the issue and why it is showing so strongly , though I think it is using current Nvidia Drivers.