Wall Dimensions

RobUSMC

I have reached out to a few Chief Guru's about an online chat but wanted to throw these questions out there about getting the correct wall dimensions while drawing a plan. 90% of our business is kitchen, bath and interior remodels so most of my measuring is all interior wall surfaces.  I have attached screen prints showing my questions as it seems showing is always better than explaining.  If this is a pain in the butt and I need to wait and find one on one help just let me know.   Thanks as always

Wall 1.JPG

Wall 2.JPG

Wall 3.JPG

Wall 4.JPG

Wall 7.JPG

I also do a good bit of remodel work and the as builds that go along with them.

You can set the temp dimensions default to select the finish wall surface and then also select both wall sides.

This generally woks best for me although I do have to add some manual dimensions from time to time to resolove the issue in your last picture.

Just add a few dimension lines manually at the desired locations. The temp dimensions are kinda handy in some circumstances but you shouldn't and can't be using them exclusively.  

P.S.  Also try selecting the walls with your pointer more toward the opposite side of the wall for some of those situations and see if that helps at all.

9 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Just add a few dimension lines manually at the desired locations. The temp dimensions are kinda handy in some circumstances but you shouldn't and can't be using them exclusively.  

Is this what you're speaking of Michael?

Wall 8.JPG

No.  I suspect you've never really learned to use your dimension tools properly.  If you haven't figured it out by tomorrow I'll see if I can maybe make a quick video and I'm also available for one on one training sessions.  In the meantime,  maybe check the manual or help files.  

If I am the one framing those walls, I want the dimensions to the framing corner intersects, not the intersects of the drywall finish.  I think you are showing framing in your pic #1 but cannot be sure.

You can edit your scheme where the wall springs off the first wall at 45, so as to retain your desired first wall length.  Your inside intersect moves rightward, of course.

1 minute ago, GeneDavis said:

If I am the one framing those walls, I want the dimensions to the framing corner intersects, not the intersects of the drywall finish.  I think you are showing framing in your pic #1 but cannot be sure.

You can edit your scheme where the wall springs off the first wall at 45, so as to retain your desired first wall length.  Your inside intersect moves rightward, of course.

In most cases we are not framing those walls and are remodeling a bath or kitchen with the footprint remaining in place.  Anything there are new walls I specify rough framing dimensions