How To Drop a Single Room's Ceiling Height Two Story Building

HumbleChief

32 minutes ago, dshall said:

Via the ceiling finish option.  Note that the ceiling finish can be any thickness you want it to be.Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 10.22.31 AM.png

But that won't frame ,I would use a ceiling plane and add your own ceiling height or create a floor structure from above with the dropped ceiling included in the structure. X9 fixes that

1 minute ago, DRAWZILLA said:

But that won't frame ,I would use a ceiling plane and add your own ceiling height or create a floor structure from above with the dropped ceiling included in the structure. X9 fixes that

Interesting Perry - that's what I did and it framed OK. Thanks!!

5 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

That is not so.  It will frame auto.....  however I will admit it is difficult to control the direction of the dropped ceiling joists.

See  picture,  the orange ceiling joists is part of the CEILING FINISH and has framed auto.  The ceiling joists of the roof has also framed auto.  I did no manual framing,  what you see is all auto.  The orange joists represent a dropped soffit in the hallway.

Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 11.00.18 AM.png

Just now, DRAWZILLA said:

And you just thickened the drywall to drop that ceiling--that's new to me.

I am not sure who you are responding to,  if it was me,  your statement is incorrect,  see picture of how I defined the ceiling.  I did  not thicken the drywall.

Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 11.07.27 AM.png

I like to do it the way Scott does it. This way frames properly and doesn't alter any walls it attaches to. With a ceiling plane your wall plates on adjoining walls will drop to accommodate ceiling. Ceiling plane you do not get framing for ridge and sub fascia so only what would be dropped joists frames. Ceiling finish gives you framing all around, albeit doubled.

Untitled 2.jpg

I should correct the above slightly. as long as you have ceiling plane only to drywall finish it won't affect framing of adjoining walls. However you would have more manual touch-up to place dropped joist where they need to be, If ceiling would be framed before drywall.

And just to repeat, if you want to change the ceiling structure of a first floor room you cannot do so by changing the ceiling structure of that room. Really? Yes really. You need to change the ceiling 'finish', add a ceiling plane, or add structure to the floor above.

Just to be clearer the ceiling structure dbx of a first floor room has no bearing or effect on that room's ceiling structure. Sigh...

2 minutes ago, dshall said:

How did you define your ceiling?  Did you do it the way everyone else is doing it?

I created a floor above that room and defined that floor to have an added framing layer, then lowered the ceiling. Video shows it if you can make it through.

1 minute ago, HumbleChief said:

And just to repeat, if you want to change the ceiling structure of a first floor room you cannot do so by changing the ceiling structure of that room. Really? Yes really. You need to change the ceiling 'surface', add a ceiling plane, or add structure to the floor above.

Just to be clearer the ceiling structure dbx of a first floor room has no bearing or effect on that room's ceiling structure. Sigh...

actually to be clearer,  you might want to change the ceiling finish,  I am not sure if you can change the ceiling surface.

Just now, HumbleChief said:

I created a floor above that room and defined that floor to have an added framing layer, then lowered the ceiling. Video shows it if you can make it through.

Well,  I am not sure if that is what I am doing or what Perry is doing or what Jerry is doing or what Jon is doing.  I think we are all adding the framing to the ceiling finish and not to the ceiling structure and not to the floor assembly.  I do not think anybody is creating a floor above the room....  there is already a floor at the second floor.