Canvas Software

usingchief

9 minutes ago, lbuttery said:

Larry:

Yes, I have had projects where I needed to measure "everything" in the entire house

the whole house was being "gutted" and rebuilt

entire kitchens were being re-done

etc etc etc

Lew

Have done many, many gut and rebuilds, heck it's a lot of our jobs to do just that pretty much every day. I'm fine measuring whatever version of 'everything' one chooses but did you see this software in action? Check the videos of people actually using that software. There's no output that I can see that even remotely resembles the marketing hype. And for measuring everything (whatever that term even means) the more stuff in a room the more confused it gets and the more unreliable the output. Again, a brilliant tool but seems like it might work OK in every market but the Architectural and Design businesses. Would love to be proven wrong and find a new techy tool that really works in the field I live and work in but haven't seen it yet.

As a side note why would one need to measure 'everything' in a kitchen or house that's being gutted? I mean it's being gutted right? Aren't the big 4 or 5 enough? Like dims, window/door placement/heights; ceiling heights and a couple notes as reminders?

• 3 years later...

Hi folks! Alex from the Canvas team here — a co-worker just alerted me to this thread after we just posted about Canvas in a different thread. I'm surprised I didn't see this before, but it was from less than 2 months after we launched the product for the very first time 3+ years ago :). Chief wasn't even on my radar then — Scan To CAD supported SketchUp only for the first year or so, and have been steadily adding outputs since. 

Followers of this thread might be interested to know we just released a native Chief Architect output for our Scan To CAD service. A few people above rightly called out that initially, getting a working, editable file in Chief Architect was not a fun process. You either had to take the 3D mesh and manually measure and redraw, or try to process one of the other formats into something Chief can consume (like using CAD-To-Walls), which was a pain. We had some customers do this because it sped up measurement time, but it certainly wasn't as "turnkey" as simply having a native Chief output.

Now, you scan, upload, and within ~2 days you get your .plan file (and of course, the 3D scan can be used to measure spaces instantly).

My co-worker Ben posted about Canvas here: 

. And you can actually see some of our customers talk about using Canvas with Chief here: 

. If anyone has questions about the new roll-out, feel free to post here, post in one of the other threads, DM me or Ben, or shoot us an email at support@canvas.io.