How to rotate a line or object at a user specified point

capitaldesigns

Thanks William. That's a lot of work to rotate something. I practice it several times. I got the time down to 41 seconds.

I did the same thing in AutoCAD once. It took 5 seconds.

In CA it takes 12 clicks to rotate a line at a user specified point and get out of the rotate about a certain point command and delete

the temporary point. And most of these a going through menus.

In AutoCAD it took 4 clicks to accomplish the same thing. One was a keyboard command (type RO, enter) then click the line to rotate, click

the point you line to rotate about, then move the cursor where you want the line to rotate to. Type RO, enter then click, click, click and your done.

This is using AutoCAD 14 which came out in the late 90's.

I hope CA plans on making some needed changes to improve the speed of the CAD portion of their program. If AutoCAD was able to figure this

out 20 plus years ago I'm sure that programmer at CA will be able to figure it out as well. That is if they want to.

Thanks,

Mike

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the videos. That was very helpful.  Thank You Michael.

Regarding Michaelgia comment  (Is that crickets I hear over at camp autocad?....)

I does not sound like you have ever used AutoCAD. The one thing nice about AutoCAD is it

much more intuitive then CA,

As an example I will us the rotate an object around a specific point. First of all you have several

ways to start a command. You can find the menu pick for the command, you can type the name

of the command or you can enter the macro command (hot key).

If you start typing the name of the command, AutoCAD is intuitive enough that it will give you a

list of commands that start with those letters. Example, rotate. You type the first letter R of the

command rotate, AutoCAD will give a list of commands that start with R. If you do not see the

command you are looking for type the next letter of the command O. In this case the command rotate

is displayed. Hit the enter on your mouse and you've entered the command. AutoCAD tells you what to

do next. It asks you to "specify base point". You pick the point where you want your object to rotate around.

It next asks you to "specify rotation angle" You can either give a specific rotation angle or just rotate your

cursor around while the object moves along with your cursor until you click enter.

Each command in AutoCAD will let you know what the next step of that command is. CA give you no such

information. I will beat you that if you had someone that had never used CA or AutoCAD before and asked

them to rotate an object around a specific point they would be able to learn how to do it in AutoCAD much

quicker.

In AutoCAD type in the name of the command then just follow the screen prompts. In CA go through the manuals

or go through each menu until you think you found what your looking for. Even once you found the right command

your looking for you still would not be able complete the command correctly because you would have had to have

known that CA requires you to place the point that you want to rotate the object around first. How would you have

instinctively know this fact. You more than likely would have not know this and you would have been lost.  And this

is only one of the commands in CA out of 100's or 1,000's.

This is one of the reasons why experienced AutoCAD users have such a hard time learning CA. AutoCAD give the

user a lot of on screen help while in each command. CA give the user no such help.

If it wasn't for all of you on ChiefTalk a lot more experienced AutoCAD users would have given up on CA within a

few months, me included.  All of you on ChiefTalk that have taken the time to help us newbies to CA are surly the

shinning stars in the Chief kingdom. I wish that all of us lived close enough to each other so all of us that have

benefited from your knowledge and generosity could put on a party for all of you guys. That would be the least we

could do thank you for all of your help. You are all truly Chieftains.

Thank You Very Much,

Mike

• Upvote 2

On 1/6/2017 at 2:52 AM, michaelgia said:

(Is that crickets I hear over at camp autocad?....)

;)

I think Michael does a great job showing the fastest possible way in Chief - but make no mistake, Chief's 2D and communal function with basic 3D isn't nearly as fast or intuitive as Autocad or many other apps....but Chief does so many other key things better its why we are here.

Although, you really wouldn't think 2D tools would be too hard to improve....who knows though.

Having to change modes tells me Chief simply cannot accept nested commands as other programs do.  Putting a marker down AND changing modes is very archaic. Changing modes should be a thing of the past.. for any edits. Chief is not far from being spectacular but it seems these basic weaknesses (that's what they are) are nearly impossible to resolve.

You would thing that if other programs had these issues resolved 20 years ago and with old technology it would

be easy for Chief to correct these problems. Chief really needs to hire some architects that are very familiar with

other architectural software and get their inputs on what needs to change to bring Chief up to speed on what other

programs can do. Then makes the necessary changes to the software to make it truly a great program.

Its great to have all of the tools to do floor plans, elevations and 3D rendering. But when it comes to the working drawing phase

of the plans Chief if very lacking, to put it politely. I wish that Chief would care as much about the working drawing phase of the

project as they care about the design phase of the project.

Thanks,

Mike

Your right. I had purchased Chief less than two years ago. To date I have only did the floor plans, elevations in Chief. I then finished

the rest of the plans in AutoCAD. I spend many time longer figuring out how or if I can do something in Chief then it would take me to

do the same thing in AutoCAD. I am working on a small 400 s.f. one story addition that I am determined to complete in Chief.

In AutoCAD this addition would take me two days at the most. That would include plot plan, floor plan, elevations, foundation plan,

framing plan, sections, framing details, schedules, energy calculation and adding the structural engineers information to the plans.

Right now doing these plans in Chief I have four days of work and I am finally ready to send the plans to the engineer. I still have

to work on the site plan, details, schedules and energy calculation and then add on the engineers information to the plans. At least

the energy calculations are done in another program.

I'm sure the next project will go quicker than this one has and the one after that will be quicker yet.

I ready to call it quits for the night. I need to get up early and pick up my father so we can go out flying somewhere. Should be a good

day for flying.

Thanks,

Mike

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

you have to click on the transform/replicate object dialogue.

1265355899_Screenshot2023-06-02163215.thumb.jpg.0d7eb9f00ce51b3ba3a157f508f2c1d8.jpg

Alternatively you could designate the CAD insertion point where youve placed the point marker on the CAD block then use the Parallel/Perpendicular tool then the point to point move tool using the insertion point as the snapping point

9 hours ago, mattyt12 said:

you have to click on the transform/replicate object dialogue.

1265355899_Screenshot2023-06-02163215.thumb.jpg.0d7eb9f00ce51b3ba3a157f508f2c1d8.jpg

Alternatively you could designate the CAD insertion point where youve placed the point marker on the CAD block then use the Parallel/Perpendicular tool then the point to point move tool using the insertion point as the snapping point

I'm realizing I may have built the car wrong which makes the object more complex... I built the 3D solid in plan view, then rotated the object around for elevation view, which would explain why when I rotate the object it goes around the x axis, rather than y axis. Is there another approach? It would be great if after placing my point marker, I could use point-to-point to create the desired angle. 

I have also attached my file for reference. 

Porsche 911 Model_2.plan