Glass Shower Doors

Charlenerene

I just finished with the bathroom webinar. Their way of having a shower seemed much easier than mine. When I did this I used the room divider to make different rooms and the but in a shower that way. It suggested just using a glass shower for the wall material. I opened a new project and it worked just fine, but when I went into the old project I am having issues. (I went back because the client really wanted a frameless door and I had been forced to use a framed door with my method.) No matter what I do it makes a normal interior wall. What am I doing wrong here? I have attached two screen shots to show what I mean.

Thanks for the help.

post-1522-0-22016300-1402683659_thumb.png

post-1522-0-71156500-1402683789_thumb.png

Personally I don't like the glass shower wall as it is "seen" by CA as a Wall and thus auto joins etc and I find it causes more issues than it solves , so I just made 80"X34"x3/8" cabinet Soffits ,with the Material set as Standard glass ( so it is clear ,Tempered shows blue-ish in CA) and added them to the library and now resize and use them on each job.

depending on the height of your shower tray you'll need to change the height off the floor too.

post-315-0-16501400-1402685300_thumb.png

Also, the way CA does shower enclosures is a problem because the tile stops at the inside corner fo the room when in reality the tile has to go to what would be the exterior face of a wall or knee wall so that the glass is against the tile.  i.e. the tile runs past the glass.

Also, the way CA does shower enclosures is a problem because the tile stops at the inside corner fo the room when in reality the tile has to go to what would be the exterior face of a wall or knee wall so that the glass is against the tile.  i.e. the tile runs past the glass.

Not with the new wall material tool.

Dennis, I completely agree.  Glass walls need to butt join, not inset through wall materials.

As to the OP; make sure you haven't applied wall materials in the room dbx (reset to default if you have), but in the individual wall dialogs.  Or, what Perry suggests, use wall materials tool.

jon

Perry - I don't think the wall material region is in the shower video.  At least the one I saw.  I think that was made with X5.  The wall material region works like a PS which I prefer for control.    Scotts approach using a molding polyline can also work.  Depends on the specifics of the situation.

*scratches head* Where is the walls materials tool? I changed the properties tab like I showed up above, is that not the same thing?

Kbird....That is cool. I asked about the shower pan as that did not look right without one. I was just told the drafter would notate that on the side of the drawing. Of course my problem with that is the design will look different from the final product. Also I have no clue how you used soffits to do what you did. I started a new project to play around with it but I am having issues doing it the way you suggest. More practice I suppose. Any tips? Sorry extremely new at this.

Dennis....I can see how making the room in this way could cause issue with material estimates but it seems better than what I did. I mean I took and used the room divider (invis wall) to section off a part of the room. The client wanted different tile in that area, so to get the program to do what I wanted I had to make one room two rooms. Seems putting in a glass shower wall would be the easiest way to do that.

Under build/ walls section

There is also a floor materials tool.

The wall and floor materials tool will report to the the materials lists. Sometimes I just use a shower pan and change the material to whatever I want it to be. Tile, marble, granite

The really good thing about it is it will delete any finish under it like drywall.

I always put a showerpan in from the library and adjust size and height so the plan view shows a shower tray then I use the Soffit panel I made to make the panels and door etc .personally I am not worried about the handle etc usually , it looks good enough, so the soffit trick works and is quick and easy.

on my netbook today but here is a version of the panel , unzip/extract and import the calibz as normal.it set 4" above the floor by default but you can change all that once dropped into the plan.

34 in Shower Glass Panel.zip

I use room dividers to create the shower area and then Plolylines to make the walls and the doors.  I will also use them to make the curb when needed (this one uses a level entry system).  I saved my "brackets" and hardware to my library and plop them in and adjust their locations as I need to. 

post-135-0-97462100-1403114544_thumb.jpg

post-135-0-39592700-1403114558_thumb.jpg