Computer build to speed up Chief for designing larger buildings

WhistlerBuilder

2 minutes ago, WhistlerBuilder said:

HumbleChief - Current specs on my home pc. Office pc is not as good, but has a gtx 1070 in it. I notice it is slower, so I think it is a processor issue not a graphics card issue.

That's actually very valuable information - thanks for taking the time to post. My machine can get bogged down and sometimes I think a faster graphics card will help but it's a $1200 (card and monitors approx.) gamble I'm not willing to take at this time.

Office PC Specs:

Operating System
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz    36 °C
    Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
    32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT (LGA1155)    33 °C
Graphics
    S32F351 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    27MP35 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (Gigabyte)    42 °C

Storage
    465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500G (SSD)    26 °C
    279GB Western Digital WDC WD3000HLFS-01G6U1 (SATA)    21 °C
    232GB Western Digital WDC WD2500AAJS-22VTA0 (SATA)    23 °C
    232GB Western Digital WDC WD2500AAJS-08B4A0 (SATA)    22 °C
    298GB Seagate ST3320620AS ATA Device (SATA)    26 °C

With the recent release of Intel Kaby Lake CPUs this is worth getting over Skylake CPUs for those going the desktop quad core route.  Each step brings a little more performance at the same clock speed and in this case the i7-7700K is also faster clocked out of the box than the i7-6700K.

I am waiting on the enthusiast very of Kaby Lake CPUs (probably 6 or 8 core) as for me that's the best compromise between the fastest desktop CPU per core speeds but only 4 cores and lots of slower cores on the Xeons which only come into their own when ray tracing.

4 hours ago, Smn842 said:

With the recent release of Intel Kaby Lake CPUs this is worth getting over Skylake CPUs for those going the desktop quad core route.  Each step brings a little more performance at the same clock speed and in this case the i7-7700K is also faster clocked out of the box than the i7-6700K.

I am waiting on the enthusiast very of Kaby Lake CPUs (probably 6 or 8 core) as for me that's the best compromise between the fastest desktop CPU per core speeds but only 4 cores and lots of slower cores on the Xeons which only come into their own when ray tracing.

I've read in a couple places that the changes to Kaby Lake are minimal for desktop computers and will mainly benefit video playback and lap top battery life. That's no reason not to get one but they are not designed to be the next large step in desk top computer power.

http://www.pcgamer.com/intels-kaby-lake-everything-you-need-to-know/

Correct Larry - The current and future direction being taken by Intel and others is more towards energy efficiency to take advantage of the laptop/mobile needs. For desktop systems their approach to significantly improve performance is to increase the number of cores/threads and how this is managed. Clocking is pretty well tapped out so I would not expect any significant change from current levels. If you want to speed things up then buy as many physical cores as you can afford and make sure they support hyperthreading.

Graham

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:28 PM, DRAWZILLA said:

"... It's like buying a bag of grocery's, what's in it is what counts. The cost is all about what's in it. What's in the plan says it all for some speedy work."

Good point!

Check out this site...Pricy, powerful, but probably be around a while. I have an older gaming system and its feeling the demand that comes from the ever changing 3D design software.

www.boxx.com

They offer separate render "sidekicks" allowing uninterrupted work flow during a ray-trace.

So, here's a thought--what if CA creates internal bottlenecks, as the code is not engineered to perform the tasks you're asking of it?  All I'm saying is that if the product is not designed to do the job you're asking it to do, then chances are you can throw the most massively overbuilt hardware in the world at it and it still won't do what you want--ever.

Right software for the task+hardware matched to software=happy end user. 

2 minutes ago, jcaffee said:

So, here's a thought--what if CA creates internal bottlenecks, as the code is not engineered to perform the tasks you're asking of it?  All I'm saying is that if the product is not designed to do the job you're asking it to do, then chances are you can throw the most massively overbuilt hardware in the world at it and it still won't do what you want--ever.

Right software for the task+hardware matched to software=happy end user. 

Another good point!