Imported garage door - SU

johnny

I thought id post a problem I am having with a simple garage door I downloaded from Sketchup's Warehouse.  There are strange gaps between the panels which are clearly not there in the SU file.  I even opened the SU file to verify there weren't issues there, so this appears to be a Chief error perhaps.

I've attached all the files.

garage_door_issue.plan

2017-01-01 14_39_15-gar4_1 - SketchUp Pro 2016.png

gar4_1.skp

Johhny, I have imported from scratch and it shows two of the verticals are distorted and a kind of bleeding gaps are happening for some reason. If you have checked the sketch up file, then obviously there is some thing wrong when it gets in to chief's environment. Though I can't tell exactly why.

19 hours ago, johnny said:

Thanks David!  Did you get the SU file to work or model a new door?  I am curious since I am wondering if next time I should just move on to modeling the door.

I used SU to fix the issue with the layers not showing. 

Modeling the door is fun to do in both Chief and SU, but I must admit, I love the speed SU does for models.

D

2 hours ago, Kenoeightspot said:

Johnny,

For that type of door I use the manufacturer's cat. then change the glass material.

GLASS GARAGE DOOR.PNG

Great idea... David fixed the issue but your solution would have easier.  I didn't see that door, but will look again for future refence.

Here's another alternative (just posted over in the Tips and Techniques forum too)...

Johnny's door.calibz

EDIT: I should have mentioned in the video that you will probably want to set stretch planes in the appropriate places if you want to use your new symbol for additional widths.  In this particular example, you would probably want to set a couple to either side of the center stile...

Stretch Planes.jpg

You could set additional stretch planes for height and depth too if you want.

• Upvote 1