Construction Docs Development

Hello, this is my first time creating AEC drawings I'd appreciate some guidance. My AHJ does not do plan reviews for residential so I just need to satisfy trades that should know codes.

I have a PLAN and Layout created. My fist questions are what order do I arrange sheets by? Plan on sht 1 I assume, foundation 2, framing 3, schedules, etc? Also, is there a place I can get standard notes for each trade sheet? Any other trade tips be appreciated or if someone can post a sample file that be great.  

• Downvote 1

I'd recommend making a small investment in yourself by going to chieftutor.net and subscribing to the video series.  You will save yourself lots of time and frustration and also lay a good foundation for your success with Chief Architect. JMO.

• Upvote 1

If you open Chief's "D" size layout from the template / imperial / arch d size, then open the project browser and look at the way Chief has their layout pages, it's a good start. in fact, you could use that one and modify how you want it, but make a copy first.. There are lots of standard notes in the lib under cad, but they are very standard, look and see if they work for you.

May I suggest a book I bought back in 1990 written by Architect, June Norris Curran?

It has checklists covering each page of your con docs.

Drafting House Plans

A simplified drafting system for planning and designs

Another Great Book is

The Uniform Drawing Format Manual  Fred Stitt ( Mcgraw Hill) it is the bible for the new cad drawing standards for all building. Lot of content covers commercial but ad addresses all you need..

Edited by payettedesigns
spelling error

2 hours ago, payettedesigns said:

Just thought of something look at Joey Martins plans on the sample plans his layout format for residential is  awesome...

Wow!

Thanks for that really instructive and useful tip (+1 to you!).

Joey Martin's drawings are a Master-Class of helpful instruction and presentation to the builder / trades

34 minutes ago, Jonnoxx said:

Thank you for your generosity sharing your awesome drawings, Joey.

You are a STAR (+1 to you)!

+1

Another note to the OP. Not every jurisdiction requires the same detail or layout of construction docs. There is a user here who does at least 10 times more plans than I could ever hope to finish here in CA but the city/county where he lives requires very little in the way of complete documentation. Joey has presented a stellar example of a complete plan set - for his jurisdiction - which would probably suffice for almost anywhere but knowing exactly what your city needs can be just as valuable.

a comment.....  Joey does a great looking set of plans.... I have always admired his set of plans,  they are so clean looking and not cluttered compared to mine....   however based on my experience,  he would never be able to pull a permit in California with them.  

Just a few examples....  footing widths are not specified and there are no shear transfer details,  window headers are not spec'd and hip sizes are not called out and there are not king posts under ridge beams spec'd out.  Location of vertical steel in retaining walls is not spec'd......   plate heights in sections are not called out and there are only 2 sections ,  for a house this size and complex,  it seems more than 2 sections will be needed.

I suppose the point of the  post is,  you need to understand what the permitting jurisdiction will require.  Simply copying someone's method will not always guarantee a permit.  I began drawing plans in Houston back in the '70's and Joey's plans would be considered very nice and adequate........  40 years later in California..... much more info is required .

Energy calcs,  structural calcs,  truss calcs,  BMP plans,  Brush Management plans,  coverage calcs,  FAR calcs,  impervious area calcs and  keeping the wife happy calcs not to mention  plans to assure your kids success in life calcs.  

Anybody in California with little to no experience who thinks they can provide a set of plans ,  will be in for a big surprise.

• Upvote 2

Just a few examples....  footing widths are not specified (Page S1.0) and there are no shear transfer details,  window headers (See Schedules) are not spec'd and hip sizes are not called out (See Roof Plan - Truss Roof) and there are not king posts under ridge beams (No Ridge Beams) spec'd out.  Location of vertical steel in retaining walls (Page S1.1) is not spec'd......   plate heights in sections (Page S3.0)are not called out and there are only 2 sections ,  for a house this size and complex,  it seems more than 2 sections will be needed.

As Scott and Larry have stated every jurisdiction is different

even town by town

call and ask what they need

visit their website

visit the website of lots of other jurisdictions

some have wonderful amounts of info - great learning tools

Lew

I would be interested to see what a basic set of con docs look like for Cali.  (Just curious!). Joeys drawings are just like we use here.  If there are additional shear walls or tall wall designs required, I add them on after the Engineer gives me his requirements.

Happy New Year to all on the CT Forum.

And one more cynical, and perhaps blasphemous to many here, look at the whole ConDoc process - I don't even try and submit a complete set anymore. I get 95% of the bones there but in my (and Scott's) neck of the woods there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY you can know what the selected plan checker will want to see in any of the disciplines. So I submit and just add changes according to the current correction list in each discipline, of which the requirements are just a little different every time, then resubmit. There's no way there's not going to be some corrections (despite Lew's incredible skill and first time submittal success rate) so I don't waste my time trying to get everything just perfect because the target is always moving here in San Diego. Like I said pretty cynical, but I'm done beating my head against the wall trying to please 25 people who are constantly changing their minds and requirements.

This story relates to the OP in that you may not need to have a perfect set of plans with everything in the right order and all the perfect notations and sections and details etc. Especially if you are first starting out just submit your best shot and take whatever heat gets thrown your way and submit a corrected set. You'l learn pretty quickly what your jurisdiction will want to see.

2 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

..... Like I said pretty cynical, but I'm done beating my head against the wall trying to please 25 people who are constantly changing their minds and requirements.

I think Larry is exaggerating ,  it is only 17 people who are constantly changing their minds and requirements.

• Upvote 1

(despite Lew's incredible skill and first time submittal success rate)

Larry:

I never did CA and my qty of permits was tiny compared to you guys

my "skill" was finding out what the jurisdiction wanted and giving "only" that to them
the more you give after that - the more the feel the need to find something "wrong"

Lew

1 minute ago, dshall said:

I think Larry is exaggerating ,  it is only 17 people who are constantly changing their minds and requirements.

Yes 17 is more accurate - 17 in planning; 17 in structural engineering; 17 in electrical; 17 in LDR engineering; 17 in Zoning; 17 in mechanical; and 17 who just want to mess with you :D

20 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

If you open Chief's "D" size layout from the template / imperial / arch d size, then open the project browser and look at the way Chief has their layout pages, it's a good start. in fact, you could use that one and modify how you want it, but make a copy first.. There are lots of standard notes in the lib under cad, but they are very standard, look and see if they work for you.

Thanks, I see. If I want to replace my existing plan with another how do I do that? 

Got a call into the city. As far as I know they don't care until the inspector finds something wrong. They are not willing to spend budget on residential plan reviews, only commercial, industrial. We find out if we screwed up at the job sites here in the central plains. Talking to some season CA drafters here...none offer 3D rendering, only 2D drawings at about .$75 SOG, $.95/SF basements. They don't even specify stud spacing they leave to contractors to know code. 

Brian, Joey, that be VERY helpful if you or any other willing pros post layout files for noob templetes so we can see in more detail what you did, lot going on there. If not my email is ICTHOMESCA@gmail.com     ......thanks much! 

You all crack me up.....fun group! Feel sorry for you CALs hope your making more than here for the headaches. I imagine though once we have a good template the sailing gets easier. 

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I work through the sheets I hope helps others.