Manabloc

joey_martin

Out of curiosity, why the need for such 3D realism?   If done in a gyprock-finished mechanical room, it's often hidden behind an access panel.

And if not flush-built, the PEX lines are all going to be visible.  If so, will they need to be 3D modeled, also?

Joey, i do not want to hijack your thread but I have run in the case of when I offer PEX on my jobs I hit a roadblock as the owners want copper by fear of leaks from this material.

My question is: how confident are you in using this product?

In general,  we haven't used copper in probably 20 years with the exception of exposed pipes.  We do a lot of remodel work and I don't recall ever seeing a pex leak.  We find copper failures all the time though (electrolysis, hydrolysis, etc)  Having said that,  the 2 things that ARE worth considering...

1.  Some people fear chemicals leaking from the plastic over time. The same can be said for copper too though to a certain extent. 

2.  You can put power to a copper line to melt it it ever freezes.  The same cannot be done with Pex.  

Another advantage of PEX is that it has no resale value.

You don't have to worry about vandals ripping out your

water lines to sell for scrap metal. With Copper selling

for about $2.50 a pound these days you don't want it

laying around the construction site.

I'm finding customers don't want pex because of the particulates per million of plastic ingested.

interesting enough its the same as water bottles which were deemed healthy. The long-term effects are not known at this time as far as I know of.

Also, plumbers talk of critters eating holes through the stuff.

• 3 months later...

I put CPVC under slab in my own story home in 2000. If piping is in that attic here in Tampa Florida the cold water is hot during the day with 140 deg attic temps.
One problem with CPVC, it gets brittle over time. Friend of mine broke a pipe fitting while walking in the attic.
Personally I have had two fitting leaks on the hot water circulation system. Yes two elbows cracked in the throat of the fitting.
Had to jack hammer the floor to get at them. My theory is that there was a bow in the piping when the back fill took place.
Other than that I like it. :)

20170205_121743.jpg

20140906_155323.jpg

20170202_195345.jpg

On 1/2/2017 at 10:48 PM, joey_martin said:

110% confident. No one in my area uses copper any longer.

And copper leaks too if not installed properly.

I'm only a few hours away from Joey. No one here uses copper either. It's all pex.

Uponor's proprietory PEX tubing has a unique fastening system (PEX ring with memory) that is reportedly stronger than the tubing itself ... which is pretty darn strong in its own right.  Years ago I became a certified installer of their tubing but haven't done much of that anymore, other than for myself on occasion.  With Uponor's fittings you do have to be careful not to nick the ribs (nurls) that the tubing clamps on, otherwise you could have a leak.  You can actually spin their fittings (if you have room to turn them) after they've been connected to the tubing without any risk of leaking.  Their life cycle tests say that the tubing and connections will last a long long time.  The tubing should not be left exposed to the sunlight.  My well pump column is 1" PEX tubing (about 250' in the hole) and another 150' ± from the well uphill to my house.