Input needed! Old house with untypical building circumstances...

TSarantopulos

I'm working with an as-built structure, circa 1900s, where I'll be drawing the remodel, a room addition that includes the existing attic space and expansion of the attic over the new room. I'll have to include new dormers in the attic as well.  It is my belief that the attic floor is suspended/attached to the inside of the existing walls. The "bench seating" below the windows at either end, support this theory.
My dilemma is I'm not sure what the best way to approach drawing this so that I have my drawings systematically working with me instead of against me which I found sometimes happens.
The thing is the exterior walls look 10' tall and inside ceiling ht is 8'.
I can either draw the house with 10'+ walls which is where the roof rafters sit and figure out how to drop the attic floor below TOW so the ceiling height on the main level is 8' -OR- I can draw the exterior walls at 8' w/ short walls on then on top of the attic floor above (approx. 18"), which I'm not entirely sure if the exterior will look right if I go that direction. Either way, I would truly appreciate a CA guru to look at what I have already and make any suggestions on how they would go about creating the drawing.
At this point I'm holding off doing the roof until I start the walls off in the right direction. 
BTW FYI- I will be doing the sections and elevations in AutoCAD after I export those views as a DWG and then cleanup the linework. The main reason I need this to work right is for the 3D images, both interior and exterior, as well as the stairs have to work out.

DSC05042.JPG

DSC05045.JPG

DSC05053.JPG

DSC05048.JPG

DSC05041.JPG

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is a basic 1 1/2 story house with balloon framing for the floor.  If you don't care about structure then just follow the help videos and files for this style and don't worry about the balloon framing because your addition will probably be using standard framing.

I am not a guru so you might get better info if you move this to the Q&A forum section.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, country said:

This is a basic 1 1/2 story house with balloon framing for the floor.  If you don't care about structure then just follow the help videos and files for this style and don't worry about the balloon framing because your addition will probably be using standard framing.

I am not a guru so you might get better info if you move this to the Q&A forum section.

What video?  I'm not finding which one that is.