What is the best way to enter the residential drafting industry using Chief Architect

jmyers

always tell the client you have a two-week backlog of work

even if you have nothing to do

they will want it yesterday

then tell them that you are sending out product for another client to review

and they are usually slow getting back to you

thus you MIGHT be able to get a start on THEIR project

you have to ramp down their expectations

just because they call Sunday afternoon and say they need it Monday morning

you don't have to hop to their tune

Lew

• Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am a draftsman and I own my own business drawing and designing residential homes. . My dad started this business and I took over. . Our business didn't start out as a full time job. It was a side job for my dad that he did from his house.  By word of mouth we grew. . Then I took over and have a separate office for netting client.  In my opinion getting as many local builders on board as possible and keeping them happy is the best thing you can do. I'm the soul sulporter of my family of 3.  I have 90% of the builders in my county. The other 10% are walkins that don't have builders. . But by word of mouth they have heard of me. . My plans consist of elevations, roof plan, floor plan, foundation plan, and a typical wall section. Tecinally all you need to build the house. . Cabinet plans, electrical plans ,and anything else is additional cost. It's just not nessicery now a days. Especially if you have people that actually know what they are doing. So that keeps my cost down. I love what I do and I make the design process fun for my customers. Just give the customers what they want(because it's their house not yours) and provide them with your expertise advise and suggestions. I charge by the heated/cooled sq ft and an upfront deposit. . I have my open wide format printer and copier. . There are obviously slow months and busy months. Luckily the community I'm in is growing at a rapid pace and I haven't seen a slow month in Over 2 years. It's enevitable though. That's part of being in business for yourself. 

I couldn't agree more with the jump in with both feet and go baby go attitude.

I have almost 25 tears of framing experience as well as running construction crews as my own GC.

I bought CA about 12 years ago in V9 with the philosophy that I had never seen a project that I couldn't figure out and CA wasn't going to be the first.

The best part is CA makes the process easy if you understand how construction really works....and it sounds like you do.

One of the greatest design tools I have to sell is my real world experience....and have been told so by many clients.

This forum is a great resource and the people here are incredibly helpful.

Take all the training you can get and charge a fair rate based on what is going on around you.

If you had confidence in your ability in the field you will make this jump successful....no doubt.