Delete Unwanted/Unused layers

HumbleChief

Old, old, topic and it seems I've just gotten used to a bunch of unused and unwanted Layers from years of creating them and thought I might clean up my Layer mess but can't delete unused Layers that I have created. Is there a trick or are we stuck with those unused Layers forever? These are not Chief system layers, but custom layers I've created and are no longer needed nor 'used' in any plan views either.

Larry,

There are 2 sneaky reason I can think of off the top of my head that would cause a layer to be UN-deletable. 

1.  The layer is being used in one of your CAD blocks.  To fix this you might have to go into CAD Block Management and either Purge all unused CAD Blocks or at least purge the ones that are using those layers. 

2.  You have a default setting somewhere that is using that layer.  This is probably the hardest one to track down unless you know exactly where it is. 

• 7 years later...

I know I'm necroposting, but I had a bunch of layers in my template that I could not find for the life of me... I finally realized that I could simply "merge" them all into a user layer that I actually was using.  

In fact, it's possible to merge user layers into system layers, you just need to pick them in the right order. 

Just an option for those of us looking to clean up our templates. 

• Upvote 2