X8 Plotting the Wrong Way - paper waste

TGIVaughn

PROBLEM

Not found in X5, X8 has inserted a printing intervention that defeats all efforts for Canon ipf700 to print a 24x36" layout & others 90d so that it fills the width of 36"w roll paper, after many trial/error attempts.

PDF update = using print to Chief Architect PDF X8 solves the 36"w printing problem
but it seems I could have also printed to PDF-XChange Viewer (how I save plans that might not "read" under future upgrades to Chief, I have learned the hard way) or any other PDF program capable of printing.

Why?  Because PDF-XChange (et al., which includes Chief X5) printing talks directly to Canon printing preferences and does not interfere once PRINT is ordered.  SOMEONE needs to bring this up in a meeting where Chief software gurus can finally understand what their "new" printing gremlin is doing to frustration & production on the consumer end.  

I'm trying to build a bigger Chief base locally w/o compensation and this really makes this progress harder.

Then we might talk about printing PDF files taking up more space on hard drives .....

Someone needs to redirect software gurus into at least blasting this printing intervention out of the X9 version coming out soon.

It's not professional to be forced to use a PDF program to print since X5 nor productive.

Thanks for the post TGIVaughn. I'll make notes and share with our team.

It does sound like this unexpected change in behavior could be unintentional on our end. Could you contact our support team with details, steps, and possibly examples so that they can create a support ticket to better understand the situation?

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

Thanks!

printing to PDF first is the "recommended" method

1. allows verification before "wasting paper"

2. allows for emailing plans etc

3. create archive of what was actually sent to client etc

probably a few others

I also create PDF's of web pages I want to save

orders when buying online

etc etc etc

Lew

Obviously I don't agree PDF is the first choice, nor does ver. X5 & previous - it's the first workaround to a poorly written PRINT command that intervenes and even defeats plotter print priorities, not ONLY print direction.  PDF does have its place and is used when best serving other needs.  I go back to ver. 4 (not x4) and have employed Chief loyally in production/design ever since.

Thanks fro your opinion but if intended as an argument or "smarter than ... " does not help solve this problem they serve as distractions and side tracks.

Don't know anything about X4 - never seen it,

But if I understand correctly what are you saying is that you think: PCL Job headers are different between X4 and X8, and presumably and You know it is NOT the difference between like Windows Vista PCL 5 spooler and Windows 10 PCL 6. When a job is converted to PDF everything works correctly. Because when printing PDF documents only headers that will be sent - will be sent by Adobe Acrobat reader.

On the other side, when printing directly to  a Canon ipf700 you job is sent with portrait orientation instead of landscape.... Am I correct??

ChiefArchitect support should be able to easily reproduce and see these headers. You could too by enabling print to file... But I do not know if you have to since you are paying the maintenance. 

Brown Tiger

The frustration only with Chief X8 (can't speak to X6,7 IDK)

1) always defeats printing 24x36 "90d" so that printing to full width 36"w rolls leaves no 12" blank wasted space

2) no true preview of what's about to be sent to plotter before 6-12sf of incorrect orientation begins (wasting time/ink/paper) begins to pour out .... A> there is no preview option for the Chief printing preface interloper, B> If you can workaround and get a preview from plotter print software, all may APPEAR A-OK as per X5 and all other software using the plotter BUT ... surprise, the X8 printing interloper has sent the job the only way it knows how = wrong ... you have NO control anymore.

Thanks for listening