Designer100

I must had made someone mad on the form. If I made someone out there mad, I am sorry. I have a negative -9  community reputation . I never noticed there was even a rating. What is this rating system? I am thinking it is one of the Chief experts pros, that is on here all the time, which I respect but I am probably to small a guy to them. How can I get a good reputation on here?

• Upvote 5

It is a non essential way for others to evaluate whether one is useful and respectful of others in terms of "Help" or not. It is a social convention only. If you honestly try to help yourself and others, sometimes others notice and say so one way or the other. This is a Help Forum and as such you get help from others and you help others. Any other behavior is inappropriate here.

DJP

• Upvote 1

Newell,

Since you asked, I posted this quite some time ago...

On 4/13/2016 at 7:41 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

Newell,

All you have to do is change your floor structure settings like I believe Eric did and as Scott suggested.  It's very basic stuff.

With all due respect, you really need to learn to use Chief better.  It seems like you come here all the time with a new project and a new question, you do very little in way of participation...in fact your posts often times come across as half baked and like you don't find it important enough to even take time to properly spell out a detailed question or response or even take the time to read and comprehend the answers you're given...and when you get an answer, very rarely do you give any credit or even a sign of gratitude.  More often than not you don't even respond and have in the past refused to even give credit where credit was due.    It really just feels like you're churning out a ton of projects and we're doing your work for you.  Kinda seems like the type of thing you should be paying someone to do for you. 

Anyway, I don't want to be disrespectful or sound like a jerk, it's just how you come across and I have reason to believe I'm not the only one who sees it or feels this way.  I would suggest you remember that we all have jobs too and we're volunteering our time to help people.  The idea is that we help each other and if you come across as a freeloader who can't even take enough time to properly participate in their own thread, your going to very quickly burn bridges. 

I was just trying to be straight with you.  As with many of your other threads it looks like you may have never returned to it, and certainly didn't respond to it. 

Anyway, some of those negative points were from me.  Not because I think you are too small.  On the contrary, I think you've got  lot going on and it just seems like you treat this forum like a repository for free help to get that work done and nothing more.  Truth is that I'm not sure I've seen any evidence that you're trying to learn or help others learn, mostly you just want to get work done and have us do it for you (at least that's what it seems like).  In fact,  I stopped responding to your threads a long time ago after I poured in time to help you out...only to have my (correct) answers completely ignored or otherwise unappreciated and like I said in the above post, I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way although I may be the only one who has been willing to say so out loud.  Actually I just went back and read through a handful of your threads and was very quickly reminded exactly why I feel the way I do.

So...in short, if you want a better reputation all you really have to do is take the time to participate a little better:

• Take the time to truly comprehend the answers people give you so that we don't feel like we're wasting our time.
  • Invest the time to learn so it doesn't feel like we're just doing your work for you.
  • Maybe do a little helping out yourself from time to time, but most of all...
  • Just participate better.  In my short foray into the past I found thread after thread where people were donating their own valuable time, legitimately trying to help you and you failed to participate even in your own thread.  If you want help and if you want to learn you should be willing to take the time to respond to people trying to help you. 

Admittedly it seems you've gotten a little better.  I don't think your reputation has gone down in some time though either.  And lastly, just as a side note for whatever it's worth,  I've given you positive reputation in the past as well...

On 12/9/2015 at 8:05 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

Not sure exactly what your goal is, but try unchecking "Use Existing Roof Baselines"...

BTW, I gave you a point for posting the plan.  Makes it so much easier for everyone.

• Upvote 2

On 12/28/2016 at 1:16 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

Newell,

I was just trying to be straight with you.  As with many of your other threads it looks like you may have never returned to it, and certainly didn't respond to it. 

Anyway, some of those negative points were from me.  Not because I think you are too small.  On the contrary, I think you've got  lot going on and it just seems like you treat this forum like a repository for free help to get that work done and nothing more.  Truth is that I'm not sure I've seen any evidence that you're trying to learn or help others learn, mostly you just want to get work done and have us do it for you (at least that's what it seems like).  In fact,  I stopped responding to your threads a long time ago after I poured in time to help you out...only to have my (correct) answers completely ignored or otherwise unappreciated and like I said in the above post, I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way although I may be the only one who has been willing to say so out loud.  Actually I just went back and read through a handful of your threads and was very quickly reminded exactly why I feel the way I do.

So...in short, if you want a better reputation all you really have to do is take the time to participate a little better:

• Take the time to truly comprehend the answers people give you so that we don't feel like we're wasting our time.
  • Invest the time to learn so it doesn't feel like we're just doing your work for you.
  • Just participate better.  In my short foray into the past I found thread after thread where people were donating their own valuable time, legitimately trying to help you and you failed to participate even in your own thread.  If you want help and if you want to learn you should be willing to take the time to respond to people trying to help you. 

Admittedly it seems you've gotten a little better.  I don't think your reputation has gone down in some time though either.  And lastly, just as a side note for whatever it's worth,  I've given you positive reputation in the past as well...

• Upvote 1

I really do appreciate the help folks have given me this past 1 1/2 years on the form , as I have been learning Chief. I am sorry if I have not always seemed unappreciative. I really do thank you for your help. We have some great people on this form.:)

• Upvote 2

On 12/28/2016 at 1:16 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

Newell,

"Reputation": Just another name for censorship. One group attempting to impose it's will on others by institutionalizing a totally arbitrary and opaque "rating" system. Good grief.  It is a sad day when a forum as seemingly benign as this one falls victim to the political correctness madness that has infected the country.  Thank god I am retired and don't have to submit  to this kind of nonsense anymore.

• Downvote 4

I just threw one to you.  I've been there also.  I love the site because as with anything in most cases there are several ways to do anything on CA and everyone has there own way and opinion. The past two years my wife has gone thru breast cancer and I have probably take more from here than given and had rocks thrown at me a time or two.  Again, Ive been there But life does happen at times.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2017 at 1:26 PM, RobUSMC said:

I just threw one to you.  I've been there also.  I love the site because as with anything in most cases there are several ways to do anything on CA and everyone has there own way and opinion. The past two years my wife has gone thru breast cancer and I have probably take more from here than given and had rocks thrown at me a time or two.  Again, Ive been there But life does happen at times.