Challenge: Parabola roof

Lighthouse

I'm still trying to figure out how to do this with some clever hack.  I want to make a parabolic roof, and it appears the only way to create a parabola is with the terrain tools.  I created a parabolic terrain and changed the materials to look like a roof, and stuck it above the building.  Then I pulled the walls up manually to meet the roof.  So that all works, more or less.  The problem is I can't find any way to create the parabolic ceiling on the inside, which is really the point of this roof.  It appears that terrains don't have a bottom surface so they just appear white (invisible) in camera views.  Anyone have any creative work-arounds for this?

parabola house.plan

parabola image.PNG

Alan, thanks for the suggestion.  You can't turn a roof plane into a solid (it already is a solid, apparently).  If I were to import it as a solid, what would be the benefit- that the underside would be visible?   I think what would be ideal would be the ability to make any PS a "roof", wherein the walls would automatically snap to the underside.

thanks, I used to make those as model tensile structures.  Yes, I think that is the best way using straight members.  I was thinking of a curved steel ridge beam with standard wood framing coming off it and screwing down plywood (maybe double layer).  I guess there will be some plywood waste as it will go off layout as it curves.  Maybe with a double layer I could just let the edges flop.

wow, yusuf, that is very cool.  It's not actually what I want, but it is harder than what I want, so you could probably easily do what I'm describing.  As Richard said, in a hyperbolic paraboloid, all the lines are actually straight.  It forms a saddle, which is actually a practical roof shape because it's pitched.  Please see image

parabola image 2.PNG

29 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

wow, yusuf, that is very cool.  It's not actually what I want, but it is harder than what I want, so you could probably easily do what I'm describing.  As Richard said, in a hyperbolic paraboloid, all the lines are actually straight.  It forms a saddle, which is actually a practical roof shape because it's pitched.  Please see image

parabola image 2.PNG

Well thanks, but I am not sure I am getting that geometry right, may be just I will try that one later. Any help you need with those odd geometries Ate welcome.

It's a little hard to tell from the images, but I don't think it is quite right.  Here's a video that shows how to do it in sketchup.  I don't really want it made in SU, but it shows very clearly exactly what the shape is and how it is constructed geometrically.  You can start at 1:20, where he actually does the work 

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I'm also working on this swayback ridge, which someone modeled here a while ago

swayback ridge image.PNG

I did one of those many moons ago. It involved

using Polyline Subtraction. I can't find the plan

right now but I have a couple of saved images.

BTW, has anybody heard from Bill Emery lately.

I'm sure Bill could build that roof. He was a big

help to me at the time.

Polyline subtraction 1.jpg

Swayback-4.jpg

Swayback Framing.jpg

Swayback-5.png

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

It's a little hard to tell from the images, but I don't think it is quite right.  Here's a video that shows how to do it in sketchup.  I don't really want it made in SU, but it shows very clearly exactly what the shape is and how it is constructed geometrically.  You can start at 1:20, where he actually does the work 

It would be great that chief's solid modeling capability got improved. But I am sure you can do a lot when you get adapted to how chief do what it can do.

Here is the plan if any one wants to play with it.

Also similar topic in the past had some interesting flower house Plans, 

Here is the link to that topic 

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/6186-roofs-and-shapes-a-short-video/?do=findComment&comment=54606

This short video and The test plans are posted in the above loink. hope that helps too

paraboloid 1.plan

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Wow, thanks so much for posting- I'm going to play with the plan now.  This is an image of what I just figured out, which I suppose is obvious, that you can rotate a curved roof to get some interesting shapes

swayback ridge 2.PNG

Sure you got it, keep up the good work sir. Thanks