"Accurate Move"

keilrd

I've searched this (subject title) phrase as well as "slow dragging," and "slow moving," several different ways and except for one post, which didn't end up entirely clear, have been unable to uncover anything relevant to this question. Moving from X4 to X7, I have discovered my heretofore beloved "accurate move" function, the symbol of which was that longer yellow arrow at the edit toolbar, has either been eliminated or modified, for I can no longer find either the symbol or even the command, for that matter, anywhere within its (X7's) program or help file.

In spite of what seems to be the consensus view (at that singular post I found) that it was unwanted, unneeded or just a plain nuisance, I found it rather invaluable: uncheck snapping, hold down shift+ctrl and move any item or group of items as slowly as one likes.  

While the post mentioned seemed to indicate that X6 and beyond use "the arrow keys" for "accurate move," I've not found this to be the case - no matter which other keys or combination of them I hold down (or don't) while pushing the arrow keys, the selected object only moves in 1" increments.

If anyone has any knowledge about this at all, it'd be awesome to have. Thanks very much in advance.

Edited by keilrd
clarification & typo @ first quoted phrases

I vaguely remember the accurate move command which I never used, because shifting something a little at a time doesn't seem that "accurate" to me.  For true accuracy I recommend using the "point to point" move command, or the "transform/replicate" command which allows you to move things with exact numbers for the X, Y, or Z directions.  Obviously, you can just place a dimension string and shift items by changing the dimension to the item.  I have been using CAD programs since the 80's and have always found that REAL accuracy is very important, or the minor degree of error will come back to bite you later.

Have to agree with KKirsch.  Should always work to snap grid.  Make it the size you need, usually 1/2 or 1 inch.  That is drafting 101.  Anyone who does not work in this manner is a sloppy drafter (no offense intended).  Are there lots of sloppy drafters out there?  Yep!

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, imodel said:

Have to agree with KKirsch.  Should always work to snap grid.  Make it the size you need, usually 1/2 or 1 inch.  That is drafting 101.  Anyone who does not work in this manner is a sloppy drafter (no offense intended). 

Whoa whoa whoa!  I have to disagree with this statement.  I almost never use the snap grid.  My reason?  I aim for extreme accuracy.  Unless the snap grid is set to at least 1/8" it can often do more harm than good.  Real accuracy depends on using the right tools though for sure and I don't think "Accurate" Move has ever been the right tool for that job.  I think true accuracy can only be obtained in one of 3 ways:

• Using actual (and correct) snaps.  These snaps may or may not come from the snap grid in some cases.
  • Entering the correct numbers manually
  • Using Bumping and Pushing

Now you can use those snaps and enter those numbers in any number of various ways:

For snaps;

• Move
  • Point to Point Move
  • Resize
  • Align/Distribute
  • Center Object
  • Reflect About Object
  • Etc.

For manually entering numbers;

• Hitting Tab and using the Enter Coordinates Dbx.
  • Using Dimensions (Manual, Temporary, or Automatic)
  • Using Transform/Replicate
  • Using Multiple Copy
  • Entering numbers directly into the various object specific dialog boxes
  • Etc.

The 1/2" snap grid will do you little good when trying to place a toilet 15" from a 5/8" drywall layer, when trying to align to your 7/16" OSB layer, when trying to draw in elevation, when trying to center something over your 47 1/8" hutch...I could do this all day.  For quick wall layouts the snap grid is fine but if it's accuracy you're after I really think a person needs to familiarize themselves with the other tools mentioned above. 

I'm with Alaskan on this one. The snap grid is great for laying out walls. But, unless it is set to 1/8," it doesn't work well for other things. When the grid is set to 1/8" it becomes a pain in the butt to use active for several of the items Alaskan mentions. Use the right tool for the job at hand; don't use a table saw when a skilsaw would work better.

I don't think "Accurate" Move has ever been the right tool for that job.

I think that was the main point.  But I see your point if you work in the manner you do.

I have been of the school that designing to that level of accuracy "1/8" is not realistic from a build standpoint.  So when placing a toilet I would allow a little extra room and only be concerned with framing dimensions.  The framer will be off a little, then the plumber, and so on.  No problem with a little wiggle room.  As a builder I would moan about any plan dimensions smaller than a 1/2" with a few exceptions or good reason.  Vertically floor to ceiling I drop the 1/8 and go with 97, 109, 121, and so on.  I have cut my share of stair stringers and know how to use that extra 1/8" or whatever it becomes when I layout my cuts.  If I were designing consumer products then I would work to the level of accuracy of manufacturing.

Not saying you are doing anything wrong if you are being "accurate".  I just think you are working harder than you need to.

Too often I have seen others with snaps turned off and no accuracy whatsoever. :)

One thing to be aware of is that Snap Grid doesn't really do what you may thing in many cases.

If I have an object in a plan which is off grid to start with and I have Snap Grid set to say 3' 0".

I select the object and drag it, expecting the object to snap to the grid.

THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN.

The object will NOT snap to the grid, it will move and snap a distance equal to the snap grid setting (3' 0").

So it will still be off grid.

BEWARE.