Stonecastle

Chris50

Happy holidays everyone.

Can anyone tell me how to calculate how many square of regular architectural shingles from the materials list. When I do a material list it says that I need 4649 for the count.

I use version X8.

Thanks Chris

11 minutes ago, Chris50 said:

Thanks Perry,

Maybe Joe would share that here. There are only parts of the material list thats worth anything to me and roof material is one.

Hi Chris,

I often share a simple macro here but for macro packages that are more comprehensive (and take more than an hour to create) I charge a nominal fee.

My Roof Area Analysis Macro Package is $50.  I can customize it to display the area of each Roof Plane (and the Total Area) in "Squares" instead of "Sq.Ft."

If you would like this or any of my other macro packages https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/6595-joes-macro-a-month-subscription-service/ , I can send you a PayPal funds request.

Ok, but OP never stated what he wants. I wish CA would allow formatting and formulas in a material list.

And not clear why OP cares that material list displays actual size 4649.

IF he wants to see per plane... All it is simple macro "RoofPlaneArea"

obj = referenced ? referenced : owner

result=obj.surface_area/100

result = result.ceil

result
Save macro as context none and checked Evaluate

Place macro into roof plane label as %RoofPlaneArea%

BT,

Your macro only returns the area of a single Roof Plane.  That's the simple part.  Turning it into a set of tables showing all Roof Planes is another story.

Here's an example of the output of my "Roof Area Analysis" macro package.  There are actually 3 different versions of the table - depending on what columns you want to display.  As I said before, the displayed areas in the columns can easily be modified to be displayed as "squares" instead of sq.ft. if that's desired.

Roof Schedule.JPG

Thanks everyone.

I just want to be able to see how many square of shingles my roof will take and

how much roof decking my roof will take, both 4 x 8 sheets and 1 x 12 rough sawn pine or cedar.

I want to see the total for the entire roof and individual roof planes for remodel or expansion jobs.

8 minutes ago, Chris50 said:

Thanks everyone.

I just want to be able to see how many square of shingles my roof will take and

how much roof decking my roof will take, both 4 x 8 sheets and 1 x 12 rough sawn pine or cedar.

I want to see the total for the entire roof and individual roof planes for remodel or expansion jobs.

See Posts #7 & #11 of this thread.  I can customize the table(s) to show just what you want.  The macro package is $50 and the tables update dynamically.  That's the advantage of a "Live" tool.

Or you can export the Materials List to Excel and enter whatever formulas you want.  But you'll have to do that every time you make a change. 

23 minutes ago, RGWhite said:

Does your macro package include the shingles required for starters, ridge or cap? It would be great if it did. I like what you have done with the macro.

There unfortunately no way to get the lengths of individual edges of Roof Planes.  We would need to have those lengths and they would need to be broken down by gutters, hips and ridges.  Currently, that data isn't available as Ruby attributes.

10 hours ago, Chris50 said:

Thank you so much Robert. Do you know if there is a way to just make that 4649 count just say 47 squares ???

Yes, this can be done quite easily.

You first need to create the unit of measurement you want.

In this case you want Squares which is equal to 100sq ft.

Excuse me if I have some of these conversions wrong as I normally work in metric!!

Go to Preferences...General...Unit Conversion and create a new unit called Squares.

New Image_227.jpg

Generate your material list.

On the line that is reporting the shingles, click in the Unit field.

In the drop down box, scroll and select your new Squares unit.

The reported area (Count) will change to reflect the units chosen.

New Image_229.jpg

You can even create a unit to report number of ridge caps based on the length of the ridge caps reported by the material list.

In this case I have created a unit called RIDGE CAPS which is defined as 2 ridge caps to the foot.

When I select RIDGE CAPS as the unit, the Count changes to reflect the number of ridge caps instead of the total length of ridge caps. 

New Image_230.jpg

Oh, and by the way, if you only want the roof materials reported in a material list and no other categories, that is easy to configure in Preferences.

It is also easy to include proposed or existing roof planes in a material list by placing them on different layers and checking or unchecking the "Mat" column.

You can also display the individual roof plane areas by using the standard Chief label macro %surface_area%.

• Upvote 1

Still can't get it right. 

I would just like to generate a materials list for roofing and have it say how many square of shingles it will take and on another line on the same report, how much roof surface area there is.

Roof Report

1. Shingles 46.49 square

2. Roof Area  4,649 square feet

Do you think this is possible

Do you mean that those are the only 2 items you want listed in the ML list -  like this?

New Image_238.jpg

There is a slight discrepancy in the numbers because the shingles are measuring to front of the fascia and the roof area is measuring to back of fascia.

It is easy to change it so that both measure to back of fascia, but not so easy for both to measure to front of fascia.

New Image_239.jpg

This seems a bit of a waste to use the ML on this though.

It is really easy to get the total roof area by shift selecting all the roofs and looking on the Polyline panel of the Roof Plane Specification dbx to get all the various roof areas including Roof Surface Area.

And then just report this is a text box or similar.