Pigeonhole Organizer Freeware (Windows Only)

I just discovered that Pigeonhole Organizer is now freeware. http://m8software.com/clipboards/pigeonhole/pigeonhole.htm

You can have your notes/specs organized in pre-typed text blocks, and insert them from a matrix of 175 "pigeonholes" x 20 pages. Gives you an instant preview of the text, from which you can paste into Chief. Very simple, but very powerful. You can also reorganize your note blocks in Pigeonhole by dragging.   

• Upvote 1

Personally, I don't WANT text to update behind my back. Pigeonhole can easily categorize THOUSANDS of notes, and use find and select to find the text note you want. Chief's macro management can't do that. Also, Pigeonhole can run in the background and just pop-up when you move the mouse to a screen edge. For the price (free) it's worth a look.

I should also mention that Pigeonhole has uses beyond Chief, and you can use it in a variety of applications, like Word. Standardized verbiage for letters, client or contractor addresses, etc. Another useful feature is that you can store web URLs within a note and you can jump to websites or write e-mails in one click.

I just downloaded that.  FWIW, a person could use macros along with that app. The notes are all saved as a ".#" (.0, .1, .2, .3, etc.) file types but Ruby can read them just like normal text files.  Looks like a super handy app regardless.  Thanks Richard.  

12 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I just downloaded that.  FWIW, a person could use macros along with that app. The notes are all saved as a ".0" file type but Ruby can read it just like a normal text file.  Looks like a super handy app regardless.  Thanks Richard.  

Yeah, it did occur to me that it might be useful to store "building blocks" of macros Rubyscript routines, so you could put together a much larger macro routine very quickly.

As Michael said, Ruby macros could be inserted into the notes.  But they would not show their content in "Pigeonhole" - instead just showing the macro name.  But when copied into the Label of an Object, the macro would execute - thereby showing the macro output.

OTOH, It's possible to use "Pigeonhole" as a filing system and copy the note into a Ruby macro - or directly into a Label or Text Box.

I'm not sure how much advantage there is to either of the above.

18 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Yeah, it did occur to me that it might be useful to store "building blocks" of macros, so you could put together a much larger macro routine very quickly.

14 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

As Michael said, Ruby macros could be inserted into the notes.  But they would not show their content in "Pigeonhole" - instead just showing the macro name.  But when copied into the Label of an Object, the macro would execute - thereby showing the macro output.

OTOH, It's possible to use "Pigeonhole" as a filing system and copy the note into a Ruby macro - or directly into a Label or Text Box.

I'm not sure how much advantage there is to either of the above.

Those are good ideas but I was actually talking about the possibility of using Ruby to ACCESS the files.  Pigeonhole seems to create file types based on some sort of number system..."Note A" is saved as a .0 file type, "Note B" is saved as a .1 file type, "Note C" is saved as a .2 file type and so on.  They are oddly named file types but they all seem to be nothing more than simple text files and Ruby can read the file just fine so long as you provide it with the file path.  It might be a little tricky to set up.  Just sayin' its a possibility that might be worth exploring for some people.  

2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I was actually talking about the possibility of using Ruby to ACCESS the files.

That can be done fairly easily but you would essentially need a separate macro for each file  :( and you would need to know the name of the file you want to get the contents you want.  It's probably easier just having separate macros with the notes directly in them.

10 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

That can be done fairly easily but you would essentially need a separate macro for each file  :( and you would need to know the name of the file you want to get the contents you want.  It's probably easier just having separate macros with the notes directly in them.

Maybe.  Organization, searching, and editing would be a lot easier though.  This is one case where Gerry's idea of allowing macros names to take arguments would really work well...

%Electrical Notes(Note 1)%

%Electrical Notes(Note 2)%

%Framing Notes(Note 7)%

ETC

Where the macro would set the file path and the argument would set the file name. 

Michael,

%1%%Electrical Notes%

%2%%Electrical Notes%

etc.

%1% ---> $Note = 1

%2% ---> $Note = 2

%Electrical Notes% uses the value of $Notes as an internal parameter to construct the file name.  If you really want to use numerical parameters to branch within a macro, this is IMO the simplest way and it doesn't require CA to do anything.

You could even use a String value:

%Elect_Notes% --->  $Note_Type = "Electrical Notes"

%Framing_Notes% --->  $Note_Type = "Framing Notes"

%Elect_Notes%%2%%Notes%  ---> Filename "Electrical Note.1" constructed %Notes%

But we still need a decent Browser interface for macro organization.

Info from website - below

http://m8software.com/clipboards/pigeonhole/pigeonhole.htm

===========================================================================================================

Pigeonhole
The Free Organizer for Windows

Ever wished you could just type stuff and find it again without having to save it and then remember what you called the file and which folder you put it in? ..... Well now you can with Pigeonhole.

Pigeonhole shows you a grid of pigeonholes similar to a spread sheet. Click on a pigeonhole and type in whatever you want - it is saved automatically. When you want to recall the information, just move the mouse over the grid. Whatever you typed into the pigeonhole the mouse is over appears automatically in the viewer window. There are 175 pigeonholes displayed at any one time so you can view up to 175 different pieces of information just by moving the mouse over the grid...... Could anything be easier?

And with the portable versions - You can take all your information with you on your key ring!.

Pigeonhole comes in three editions:
   Standard - Runs on all versions of Windows from 98 to Windows 10.
   Portable - Runs from any flash drive (Flash drive menu available here)
   U3 - Runs from U3 Smart Drives

(Compare Editions Here)

Download a free copy of Pigeonhole now...

Download Standard Edition
Download Portable Edition (Flash drive menu available here)
Download U3 Edition

Start a new experience in computing now with the Pigeonhole Organizer.

Chief Architect PRO.txt

pidgeonhole organizer.jpg