Dimensioning

Korel_Design

I'm gonna go ahead and ask this..... I am so use to the way that other CAD software dimensions and I am bound and determined to work out my learning curve with Chief. I am use to clicking three points for a dimension. Click once to located the first extension line, click a second time to locate the next extension line, then the third click to place the location of the actual dimension line. Then I can do a continuous line by clicking additional spots for more dimensions along that same string. What Chief has me doing is click once for the first extension line then the second click locates both the next extension line and then places the dimension line at that same location. Then I have to carefully grab the dimension line and slide it out to where I would have otherwise wanted it. I tried the "Automatic" dimensions only it dimensions every nook and cranny on my plan and I spend much time editing those. That's CRAZY! Is there something I can do differently to expedite my dimensioning? I'm spending about three times the amount of time dimensioning a plan compared to brand X CAD software. I would love it if there is a button I can check so to do three point dimensions like I have been doing for the past twenty five years. I should of had this plan dimensioned hours ago.

Thanks, JK

2 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

There are eight dimensioning tools, have you studied them and practiced using them? You should.

DJP

Been there and done that. I was just wondering if there is a DBX somewhere I haven't found that can control the "Third Click" or give me the option of a third click to locate the dimension line pretty much like other software does. I've watch so many videos I think I'm going crossed eyed.

JK

JK,  I also struggle with dimensions but here is something that you could try that may get it done in two clicks rather than the 3 required in brand X.   Simply set your Snap Grid / Snap Unit to what you would like your offset to be 12", 18", or 24" or whatever and then set your Reach to be about double that to give a little margin for mouse error. ;)   Also set your Separation the same as your Snap Unit. Get that manual out later when you have time and stick with the forum when you need help in a hurry.:D

Thanks Mister Chopsaw. I think I need encouragement just as much as instruction. I have hope because I see all the wonderful work others are doing. I remember way back in about 1990 when I made the switch from the old drafting table to CAD and how frustrating it was. If I didn't love this business so much. Here is the night time rendering of the plan I've been working on. I've been using CA as a rendering tool for the past several years. It's high time to start doing my construction drawings with this software too.

From warm and sunny Texas where it hit 75 degrees today.

T'was the night before Christmas and all through the house,

The Air Conditioning was running cause we live in the south.

de Jerry

evening(3ps1).jpg

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Chopsaw said:

Very Nice,  We just had a mild spell as well but unfortunately it brought almost a half inch of freezing rain.  Snow is much better.

Were you able to get any more consistent results with the dimensions?

I'm working on it. I'll keep you posted. My Dallas Cowboys are playing the Lions so I'm a little distracted tonight.

JK

8 hours ago, Korel_Design said:

de Jerry

evening(3ps1).jpg

Wow! Nice Raytrace!

something tells me if you can do this, then I think you'll master dimensioning in no time, once you decide to work at it. 

I struggled as well with dimensioning at first. Now I use a very stripped down auto-exterior dimension with only exterior wall surfaces and window/door centers, on. 

Then I either add or delete dimension points along the automatically and well placed dimension strings. It works quite fast. A lot less than two clicks per object. 

Give it a try. 

6 hours ago, michaelgia said:

Wow! Nice Raytrace!

something tells me if you can do this, then I think you'll master dimensioning in no time, once you decide to work at it. 

I struggled as well with dimensioning at first. Now I use a very stripped down auto-exterior dimension with only exterior wall surfaces and window/door centers, on. 

Then I either add or delete dimension points along the automatically and well placed dimension strings. It works quite fast. A lot less than two clicks per object. 

Give it a try. 

Thanks Michael. It also helps to know how to accentuate an image in Photo Shop. ;)

de Jerry

Jerry,

In your Dimension defaults you will find a "reach" setting. Set it to 3 ft.. Now drag an end to end or manual dimension within 3 Ft. of the wall corners.. (assuming exterior) You could have multiple offsets but they must be within 3 Ft. to be found by the dimension.. Even if you only end up with one dimension.. the diamond handles make extending the string a breeze.. . I keep multiple parallel CAD lines (18" spacing - my preference) in my template file which I use as a guides to locate the strings.. Much easier than I have described...   

I am from other CAD as well.. should be a breeze