Slowness on my Computer

shanecarman

7 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Here are my comments for whatever they're worth...

1.   I tried your plan out on my desktop.  Very slow for me as well.  Working in plan view not bad (only a few seconds lag time for undo/redo operations) but working in 3D it was taking between a minute and a minute and a half for the same operations. 
  2.   I don't see any reason why your storage space would come into play at all.  That should never have any affect on your speed. 
  3. The SSD should make a difference...not because of the increased storage but because of the technology...data access is just much faster with an SSD. 
  4.   I suspect the reason for the slowness may have more to do with your video card than anything else you've mentioned.  Part of the slowness on my end might be my RAM although I doubt it (I was getting low memory warnings with your plan open) but you seem to have plenty of that. 
  5. I don't think the CPU usage displaying as zero is a big deal.  Mine looks like that all the time when Chief is sitting idle.  It will jump up when you're actually doing something but usually when you're looking at the task manager you've stopped doing anything.  Trying moving your mouse around the screen on Chief wile task manager is visible or try zooming in and out on a 3D view and see what that number does.

At the end of the day, I'm betting it's either:

A.  Your CPU and maybe one of it's settings (the plan is just huge)

B.  Your video card.

What are your video card specs?  Remember that the video card does most of the heavy lifting when it comes to normal 3D views.

Thank you for the advice.  Here is the video card info, I think. I also use the program Lumion which is much faster but their software engineers have also recommended upgrading to the Titan X graphics card. 

Video Card info.JPG

2 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Ok I got your plan loaded and it is HUGE and running fairly slow on my machine.  You can likely speed things up quite a bit by turning things off that you are not using at the time.  Anything like symbols of furnishings and such can have their layers turned off as soon as you have them situated.  I don't have time right now to comb over the whole plan but it seems similar to the last one I looked at with the same issues.  My Task manager readings are static at about 24% for memory and 15 -25 % for CPU. I will get back to you after dinner. Anything with a high surface count you should try to turn off.  My GPU load is about 27% in Perspective Full Overview and 1-2% in plan view.

Thank you for your advice!

4 minutes ago, shanecarman said:

Thank you for the advice.  Here is the video card info, I think. I also use the program Lumion which is much faster but their software engineers have also recommended upgrading to the Titan X graphics card. 

Video Card info.JPG

Looks like a decent video card.  I think its just a big plan.  I would personally just limit my time in 3D views on that one, and delete or turn off what I didn't really need.  There are other methods of dealing with large plans that you consider as well such as completing different wings or floors in different plans and then combining later (if necessary). 

P.S.  I edited my last post to add some information after you quoted it.  Might be worth glancing at it again in case you can get anything more from it. 

With no disrespect meant to Chief, this is really not the kind of project that Chief was designed for. I think you might be better off with a different program. You will certainly notice a dramatic improvement in X9, but the lag time would still drive me nuts. ArchiCAD, for example, could handle a project of the this size without breaking a sweat, and jumping from view to view, or making a change to a window (or all of them), etc. would be virtually instantaneous. Rooms could be handled by a repetitive module (where you make a change in one module, and it changes all similar rooms), and could give you quantities, generate reliable cross-sections, etc. I shudder to think what this model would be like with an accurate terrain.

4 hours ago, shanecarman said:

I am a little confused by what Raytrace is.  Thanks again.

Shane,  Watch this video and all you need to know for now is the basics of how to turn it on and you can learn the fine art of it later.  Monitor with Task manager when the Ray Trace is running and you should see 100% or more for the CPU.  Mine ran at 95-100% and used 11GB of RAM  also during a long Export Preparation process it ran at about 16-18% with a couple of short spikes to 25-30%.  This will be a good test of your CPU.  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/20/creating-photo-realistic-renderings.html?playlist=103 

3 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I can't say anything except, you will love the responsiveness of this plan in X9. of course my system is pretty good too.

I think besides what Perry said , I would say I am adoptable.......................if that is the family lodge.................

I think the plans size is your slow down, My feet heater on box hardly ever warms feet, when not ray tracing......This plan was constant warm feet.......... CPU and all really never out of norm so files size is my bet...........

Side note you stated moving from 250ssd to 1Tssd that really was more space, would not gain speed.

15 minutes ago, OkcDesigner said:

Side note you stated moving from 250ssd to 1Tssd that really was more space, would not gain speed.

That makes sense to me but ........

shanecarman said in post #2 :

" I moved the program to my SSD 1tb Samsung when I recently purchased the SSD.   My operating system is still on the original, 256GB drive. "

I thought that Chief was supposed to be on the same drive as your operating system.  Can anyone confirm this?  Could this be the issue?

44 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

I thought that Chief was supposed to be on the same drive as your operating system.  Can anyone confirm this?  Could this be the issue?

Chopsaw,

I have run chief on a "D" drive for year, the stuff in user directory was still on "C". You can clean install windows on that type of system and never loose your cad and daily working programs. (yes you still have to reload the programs for windows, how ever most of the time your programs never lose current settings.) That said most of Chiefs stuff is in the user folder and gets wiped out anyhow, is why chief is now on the c: drive on my current system. (raid ssd will be my next upgrade maybe. Not to sure I am ready for the M.2 heat gain yet.)

My current system I have the 1tb as my "C" drive and chief is on it, as well as rapid drive for it. (My "D" drive is partition on the "C" and my old Datacad stuff is still loaded on it, to many settings to change for it after 28 years.) I use a 250ssd for the drawing files as network drive, till I started using dropbox....dropbox folder is on the 250ssd. 3tb drive for "E" data back up and space to store stuff. 4tb network drive for shared storage before dropbox... 

Back to the old school thinking........ I partition drives because I find it easer to look in one smaller file draw then the hole file cabinet........is my thinking and it helps my dyslexic mind find and locate stuff. (god only knows what all is on the "E" drive....... just saying)

I stated all this to understand my current system is all on the c: drive and that is not making this file any faster......... I rarely see slow downs with the X5960, then again I do not do projects this large daily.......

On 12/24/2016 at 1:27 PM, DRAWZILLA said:

I can't say anything except, you will love the responsiveness of this plan in X9. of course my system is pretty good too.

Perry, you seem to be suggesting that there has been improvement under the hood of X9?

Hmm, all I can find is "Look for speed improvements with shadows on, Watercolor and Line Drawing."  Also, something about 3D navigation being faster.

Don't think a file the size of Shane's with almost 5 million triangles is going to be workable in any case.  Are you saying you find his file workable in X9 with your super computer?  I think I misunderstood you.

I have many, many large plans that slow to a crawl especially with 3D views. 5 - 10 second redraw times become the norm after a plan reaches a certain size. My system is fast but even with a lot of CPU muscle a large plans will slow down. Had 2 or 3 that became almost unworkable. Sent them to tech and even thought they are always very kind and helpful there was no cure.

Haven't read nor seen anything in any sneak peek about Chief being faster overall (other than a claim about faster undos) and frankly it would surprise me if it was. Most upgrades add capability at the expense of speed but perhaps it's different this time? Again I'd be surprised.

If you take your Chiefing seriously you simply have to spend whatever it takes to get as much CPU and GPU you can afford. The investment will more than pay for itself in time saved.

My experience has been similar Larry.  My jobs have gotten up to 500,000 triangles and the slowdown becomes noticeable.  I agree if you do enough jobs you should chase the hardware upgrades.  I think the most benefit is the number of CPU cores to crunch those numbers with all that rebuilding that seems redundant.  So with 8 or more cores things should be more snappy.  Until Chief makes use of CUDA processing an average GPU should be fine.

I believe the claim about undo.  I would guess the program has been modernized to track the changes better.  Looking forward to the day when Chief can eliminate that 5 second lag you spoke of.  That would be a real time saver.

I'm using 24 cores in my system. It's not the fastest dual Xeon system by a long shot but it crunches some serious giga flops and other computer stuff - still slows down with large models. Just sayin' -  it's the way things are with Chief until speed becomes a priority and even then only modest gains should ever be expected with a program as mature as Chief.

$2500 - $3000 should get you in the right zip code of a fast system, but still expect slow downs with large models.

Build it yourself and get a REALLY REALLY fast system for the same cost, but still expect slow downs with a large model.