angled stone wainscot

djhplanning

I wonder if there is an easier way to do this, because one needs to perform, somehow, window and door cutouts in such a buildout.

See my image, in which I show a simple 4-wall "house" with an window and door, and a 2D molding p-line applied.  

Getting it to cut at a door is routine, "no molding on this edge," but for the window, something more sophisticated needs to happen.

2016-12-20_1215.png

A question I have, with today's use of 2" thick faux stone veneer, is how this gets built.

Do builders scab framing and sheathing atop already framed-and-sheathed walls, just hung on there and no bearing below, then do the veneer atop that, to achieve this look?

If that is the actual build method, then the use of roof planes is a perfect way to do this.  One will need to trim the planes at edges with 2D and 3D moldings to get good 3D realism, but the window cuts will be easy to do, and one can frame the panels.

The way I have built this type of detail is to extend a slab out what ever distance required BUT I drop the slab 2" from the floor slab (just in case a leak should develop in the veneer).  I then frame the detail the stone will go over.  Use pressure treated if you are closer than 8" from ground.

As far as detail in CA  I have tried the roof build with some success.

I wonder if there is an easier way to do this, because one needs to perform, somehow, window and door cutouts in such a buildout.

I would not use a roof to do this - it will most likely create too many other problems.

The Molding Polyline is the way to go.

Select the "outside room".

Click  Make Room Molding Polyline from the Edit menu.

Enter a height that will cut through your windows and doors.

Open the Molding Polyline Specification dbx and select your molding, etc.

The molding will automatically break at the windows and doors and will not display a molding at the windows and doors. 

What I was saying, Glenn, is what kept Eric from being able to do it with one molding polyline.  I have done the same as Eric, using two p-lines and two moldings.

The one-step solution, which we do not have, would be a wall layer that tapers in thickness from bottom to top.

Use a roof plane with no structure (you only want the surface).  You can then cut holes in the roof plane to your desired look.  I usually also have a few psolids to place caps etc.  This picture shows one done like that on the right side of the building.  The molding will only work in limited circumstances but if there are no cut outs, its also a good way to do it.

battered wall.jpg

Here's what I came up with.  I ended up doing it with a roof plane, mitered at the corners, 66/12 pitch, and did a roof cutout at the edge of the window trim, structure of 1" with 12" eave and rake fascia, square eaves.  I am happy with how this looks.

I originally tried doing the rough shape of the stone with Sketchup and importing it.  I would have to redo it if my house size changed or if the window was resized or moved.  It worked but for some reason I lost the 2d line stone hatch pattern when sending to layout???

Thanks for everyone's help and ideas.

angled stone 12-21-16.JPG

• Upvote 1