Forum Access Still 'almost' Impossible!

CJSpud

Took all day for me to access ChiefTalk via the new chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com site.  Tried early this a.m. and multiple times throughout the day and right before dinner and no luck.  Now I am about ready to head to bed and thought I would try one more time and to my surprise, I was able to get on the forum.  I sure wish I knew what was going on.  This is the only website I have problems accessing - go figure.  And I have had this problem off and on since the switch.  I can very quickly get onto the old legacy ChiefTalk without a hiccup ... but this new safe, secure, whatever site to me is a PITA.  Maybe Chief will give me a discount on my SSA next time around since I don't seem to have much success accessing all the advertised features.  Would like to stay on and see what's new but nada ... I am heading for the sack.

SURE WISH SOMEONE AT HEADQUARTERS WOULD FIGURE OUT WHY I AM HAVING SO MUCH TROUBLE!!!!  What changed to cause me so much grief ... SOMETHING CHANGED ... please, for the last time, FIX IT or give me a clue - a different one that might work.  Mozilla wants me to download a gob of different programs to scan for who knows what ... I don't have space to do that so it aint going to happen.  Hughes says everything is working find but I can pay for support from some service that deals with 3rd party applications ... that aint going to happen either.  Did that one time and they soaked me over a hundred bucks for diddily.  Not a happy camper.  I guess as long as the rest of the flock is not having trouble, I am expendable.  :(

Curt, I did some digging today with our web team and we made a couple of tweaks.

We hope the changes make a difference in your log in experience. Let us know if you see a difference in the behavior (if you can get logged in.) If you can't get logged in contact technical support and we can attempt to work through the problem. Let them know you were working with me on the issue. You should be able to use the Support Center as it is not using the new log in system.

Curt, I did some digging today with our web team and we made a couple of tweaks.

We hope the changes make a difference in your log in experience. Let us know if you see a difference in the behavior (if you can get logged in.) If you can't get logged in contact technical support and we can attempt to work through the problem. Let them know you were working with me on the issue. You should be able to use the Support Center as it is not using the new log in system.

Dan,

I think part of my problem is that I changed my email to gmail with the new forum. When I go to sign in after not being automatically logged in my old email appears in the log-in DBX. Your computer database need to be cleaned up. 

Ron Ravenscroft

Took all day for me to access ChiefTalk via the new chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com site.  Tried early this a.m. and multiple times throughout the day and right before dinner and no luck.  Now I am about ready to head to bed and thought I would try one more time and to my surprise, I was able to get on the forum.  I sure wish I knew what was going on.  This is the only website I have problems accessing - go figure.  And I have had this problem off and on since the switch.  I can very quickly get onto the old legacy ChiefTalk without a hiccup ... but this new safe, secure, whatever site to me is a PITA.  Maybe Chief will give me a discount on my SSA next time around since I don't seem to have much success accessing all the advertised features.  Would like to stay on and see what's new but nada ... I am heading for the sack.

SURE WISH SOMEONE AT HEADQUARTERS WOULD FIGURE OUT WHY I AM HAVING SO MUCH TROUBLE!!!!  What changed to cause me so much grief ... SOMETHING CHANGED ... please, for the last time, FIX IT or give me a clue - a different one that might work.  Mozilla wants me to download a gob of different programs to scan for who knows what ... I don't have space to do that so it aint going to happen.  Hughes says everything is working find but I can pay for support from some service that deals with 3rd party applications ... that aint going to happen either.  Did that one time and they soaked me over a hundred bucks for diddily.  Not a happy camper.  I guess as long as the rest of the flock is not having trouble, I am expendable.  :(

Curt did you change any of your settings when you came over to the new forum. I did and think that is the problem. Cheif looks at my old information. I think.

Dan,

I think part of my problem is that I changed my email to gmail with the new forum. When I go to sign in after not being automatically logged in my old email appears in the log-in DBX. Your computer database need to be cleaned up. 

Ron Ravenscroft

Ron,

Our system shows you are using your gmail address.

If you see the wrong email address displayed in the log in page, it's the result of your browser displaying the wrong information. When you tell a page to remember your log in on a web form it's stored on your local computer. It sounds like you need to clean up your computer's browser information:)

On some forms you may be prompted a list of items to enter, if you see the wrong email address you can typically mouse over it to get it highlighted and click delete to delete it from your browser history.

Depending on what browser the methods used to clear that information are different.

David:

I called TS the last go around and nothing changed .... the strategy was to check with Mozilla and hopefully get a fix from them.  I was told to turn off hardware acceleration for one and the last correspondence was a whole list of anti-spyware and anti-malware (etc.) links I was suppose to run to cleanup any bad stuff encountered.  I already have malwarebytes on my machine so ran that ... downloaded superantispyware but couldn't get it to run (???) and gave up ... my C: drive is full so until I deal with that issue, I won't be installing any of those sorts of programs on my computer.  Seems like I can access the forum once again (last night and today ... whoopee) ... hope it holds this time. 

Dan:

Thanks for whatever you have done - maybe it will help me.  For your information, I had been able to get on the new forum several days in a row last week and I thought everything was going to be OK.  Then I ran CCleaner and that seemed to trigger my issues again, even though I have those three exceptions for the forum entered.  It is like something in Mozilla and/or Chief is/was still preventing me from getting on the forum (some cookie didn't get installed or ???) ... something was missing and I could watch the accounts/login etc. just going through a never ending loup before I would get the error message.  Then, however the magic works, once I am able to get on the forum, then it seems to work better.  Hopefully, whatever you have done will solve my issue.

Ron:

Yes, I did whatever was required when the new forum began.  I have off and on successfully used the new forum just fine ... it is obviously the "off times" that are driving me nutty.  Maybe there's one other little nugget of something I have missed that is responsible for all my grief ???? If there is one, I sure wish I could put a handle on it.  Last night before I shut my computer down, I got off ChiefTalk and then got back on two more times with Firefox and once with IE so maybe I am good to go for awhile. <_<

if you don't uncheck Cookies before you run CCleaner it will delete them all and you'll need to start at square one....been there, done that.... had to re-enter my ID , PW etc on all the forums/website etc I belong too

M.

One problem I have logging in is with my iPhone. When I am in the forum not logged in, and then go to the login page, I type name and password, but then the login page doesn't go back to the forum. I am trapped on the login page. BTW, this is only with the mobile version, doesn't happen with the desktop version of the forum software, and has started happening fairly recently. Maybe related?

Hey Curt, sorry you are having troubles. One idea (you may have tried this) to isolate your PC in case that's the problem - have you tried logging in on a different computer when your main computer can't get on? That might help narrow down the source of the issue?

Rob:

Thanks for the great suggestion.  I tried getting onto ChiefTalk on another older desktop and couldn't.  Not sure what, if anything, that means.

Saturday my woes continued until late in the day when I gained access to the home page but when I attempted to login, I lost it.  I ended up having to reset my password as I apparently typed in the wrong one.  Chief sent me a temporary password and in that email was a login link which is what I used to get on the forum.  I had been using an http://... login link on occasion previously and noticed the new link is https:.//....   Time will tell to see whether or not that helps.  I usually try to get on ChiefTalk with a bookmarked link "https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/" - that has worked in the past, at least when I am in the groove and can get on.

I am suspect of Firefox as it updated Saturday a.m. when I booted my computer. 

Still looking for the magical cure to all this ... I am beginning to think it may never happen and my ChiefTalk use may just continue on a random, who knows when I can get on schedule.

the Forum is a secure site , hence the "s"  in https:// , it will be using encryption of some sort, perhaps FireFox isn't handling it well ? (should be transparent)  , have you tried IE or Chrome ?

your bookmarked link above works for me in IE , I use a Desktop shortcut with the same link by the looks , in IE

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/

can't test firefox for you but Chrome (V35) is working with your link too.

Kbird:

I have tried IE and it is like FF ... sometimes it will work and lately, most of the time (like FF), it doesn't.  I don't have Chrome and no room for it either.  I think I am going to have to flush out some stuff on the SSD drive as I have been getting disk error messages in a plan I am working on.  I usually like to leave a nice cushion of extra space on a drive but with a couple of updates I have done recently, I have about pegged my capacity.  Am going to see if I can't move some stuff over to my data drive, such as Sketchup, Open Office, etc.  That will really help if I can since the larger SSD I ordered won't be here for several days.  I know that the 's' in https had something to do with better security.

Randy:

I double checked my CCleaner settings and only had the old Chieftalk exception listed so I added the 3 for the new forum [i.e.:  https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/, https://accounts-rp2.chiefarchitect.com, https://login.chiefarchitect.com].  Plus I have unchecked Cookies for FF.  I am tempted to go run CC and see what happens but think I will pass for now.  I want to see if I can get on the forum in the morning.  The last time I was good for two or three days or so before I got the boot.

Apps that you don't need the speed of the SSD for, you could uninstall and reinstall on the 500GB Data Drive is one idea for more space on C:

another idea I use is also to move ALL my Libraries to the Data Drive too , this saves me lots of GB's , eg your Pictures. Videos, Music, Downloads and My Documents call all be moved to D:\ Drive by simply telling Windows to move the folder location to D:\  ( I make the new folders on D:\ 1st , then just point windows to the right folder , say D:\Pictures , it will ask if you want to move all existing content to D:\ , hit OK and it will automatically move it all and keep track of it ,but leave the shortcuts where they are so you can still find them easily.  

funnily enough , it looks like PugetSystems even has a weblink to the library moves...

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/support-software/Moving-Windows-7-8-Libraries-184/

or

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2079571/move-your-libraries-to-a-second-drive-or-partition.html

and on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X53z54NR3b0

Turning off hibernation will also save you 8GB ...(an amount equal to your RAM)

hope this helps assuming you can get on to read it  !     :)

Curt,

It seems to me that if IE and Firefox exhibit the same problem that it's not likely a browser issue.

In reading up about hughesnet I see multiple mentions of their turbo proxy server. In some cases it appears that the browser may have proxy settings in place or the local hardware is setup to use the proxy.

In some cases users have had luck eliminating the proxy in favor of directly accessing the web. The proxy they use caches pages to reduce latency to speed up browsing. If the server is requesting pages on your behalf prior to being logged in I could see that might be a possible explanation for the issue.

In firefox you can check to see if proxy settings are enabled by opening settings and on the network tab clicking on settings.

If it's enabled in your hardware I see some references to using a Hughesnet application to disable the proxy. I think it can be done on a site by site basis but am not certain. They don't seem to have much in the way of current information on troubleshooting.

Your case is something we are concerned about, it has come up in our weekly meetings and we have tried to make changes that might help. Unfortunately, on our end we don't have a way to reproduce the problem and so far you are the only one we have seen that has described this intermittent inability to access the forum.

I hope we can find out what the solution is.

Dan:

I really appreciate your taking the time to try and help me sort this out.  Right now I am on a stretch of 3 days where I can get on ChiefTalk so for now, that is good.  Kbird has been giving me some ideas and one of the last things I did is to visit my exceptions for CCleaner.  I had an exception for the old ChiefTalk address but not for the new forum.  I added the three sites you had told me to add awhile back and then I ran CCleaner to see if I could get on right away ... and I was able to.  But just out of curiosity, I am going to run CCleaner after I post this and then try to get on again.

Regarding my FF network proxy setting, the two images below are how the network is presently configured:

post-191-0-11018600-1403055244_thumb.jpg     post-191-0-87887600-1403055272_thumb.jpg

If I am successful in getting back on ChiefTalk, I will post again to that effect.

Thanks for your help.

Dan:

I finally just got done working in Chief so with all programs closed, I ran CCleaner on both tabs and did a registry clean.  When trying to get on ChiefTalk via the "forums" route, I couldn't.  I had to log in first and then I could get on ChiefTalk.  One thing I wish we had was a direct link to ChiefTalk from the log in  page ... seems like there was one there not too long ago but now it is gone.  Is it possible to get a ChiefTalk link on the log in page?  Not sure if I proved anything but maybe with the things I did with CCleaner and the exceptions, maybe that will make a difference.  By the way, I now have cookies unchecked when I run CCleaner.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.  I will just have to see how long this stretch goes for me.

Randy:

That is the link I have had bookmarked since the new forum started.  If you read some of my previous posts, you will see that I have included that link and two others (accounts.xxx and login.xxx) as exceptions in my FireFox and CCleaner setups.  Seems to be working now - maybe I am good to go.  I still need to log in every time I use CCleaner though, then, as Perry indicated, I am able to get on ChiefTalk via the "forums" link.

I use CCleaner the same way as Perry , only Cleaning Cookies right out when I have issues or do "Spring Clean" every now and then.

It doesn't take long to move your libraries to your Data drive and it helps especially on smaller SSD's which seem to need some "head room" to operate at full spec. , had the same issue with a 60gbSSD which I cloned to a 120GB and things seem better. Make sure to deactivate CA if you are going to Clone a drive its on , it wont  work afterwards as I discovered, Win7 didn't need activating again but Chief did. ( I used WD Acronis as my data drives are WD's)

Mick.