Door/Window Labels

joey_martin

In the Label enter the following:

%manufacturer% %automatic_label%

(%header_count%) %header_thickness%"x%header_depth%" %header_type% HDR

If you enter it in the Default Door Label and the Default Window Label it will automatically be there for all new doors and Windows.

Is it not centered on the window by default?  And then you would just indent the shorter line if you do not want it justified left.

I think this can be addressed with a macro and then Michael and Joe just jumped me so I will leave you in their care.

In short, there are only 3 ways I know of to get what you're after...

1.  Center the lines manually in the window label.

2.  Use a text box along with a referenced context macro and then you can center justify the text.

3.  Use Ruby to center the text.  This method doesn't work all that well though because Ruby can only calculate the number of characters in any given label and not the width of those characters (which can vary a lot from one font to the next and one character to the next).  This can be improved by using a monospaced or fixed-width font however...Ruby cannot deal with half spaces either.  This can result in some very inconsistent centering.  Better than what you have otherwise, but not perfect.  

I think you should make a suggestion for center justifying text output from labels.

Joey,

Text justification can only be done with a custom macro or Rich Text.  This subject came up last year at the UGM when multi-line Labels were introduced for X8.  One of the CA Staff commented:  "Now I suppose you're going to want Rich Text Labels too." which received a resounding YES!

• 3 years later...

The following macro was very helpful, but is their a way I can get it to show nominal thickness instead of what it shows? Example 2"x 10" instead of 1.5"x 9.5". 

1 hour ago, StarHomeJustin said:

The following macro was very helpful, but is their a way I can get it to show nominal thickness instead of what it shows? Example 2"x 10" instead of 1.5"x 9.5". 

This should do it I think , I just rounded the Header sizes

(%header_count%) %header_thickness.round% x % header_depth.round% %header_type% HDR

In X12 if you use the new Boxed Header , you'd need to multiply the Count by 2 as well ( for 4 pieces)

(%header_count*2%) %header_thickness.round% x % header_depth.round% %header_type% HDR

image.thumb.png.8c8b06243487245a302e19d3949e38f1.png

Currently, there is no way to specify the text justification for labels.  If this is something you want, you should be sure to submit a feature request.   

If you use a separate label for the window and the actual framing header, you can align them vertically.  Assuming that you might want to display the header label, but not the actual header, you can use the invisible line style and make sure your header does not have a fill style.  Another advantage of using the actual header for the label is you can use the %nominal_size% macro to show the size as "2x6" without the extra work.

4 minutes ago, StarHomeJustin said:

How do I use the actual header for the label???

Frame your wall and make sure Framing, Headers are turned on. Then select header and insert label macro etc.  Make sure Framing, Header Labels are turned on.