Multiple PC Data File Managment

RobUSMC

I have both X-7 & X-8 on two PC's and two laptops. However, I am just getting around to start using X-8... (Wife with breast cancer treatment / surgery... So I'm a bit behind but have been around since 8.0)  How have people found to best keep the data files (mainly the user library) consistent between the different computers?  I have X7 & X8 on my desktop PC, I have another PC with X7 & X8 that my designer uses and then the laptops are used to take to clients homes for review.  In the past, with the program closed Ive just copied the "Chief Architect Premier X7 or X8 Data" folder in my docs, copied to a flash drive then replaced that same folder on the other devises as mine is the most used, most up to date due to me adding textures / symbols / SKP / etc. all the time.  This seemed to work but in the process, I will lose some texture files such as tile, wood, countertops, etc.   Also whats the best route to copy the user library in X-7 to X-8 as my most complete user library in in X7.    I did search the forum but did not find a thread on this exact subject. Thank you very much

Rob,

You can import the X7 User Library to X8 Library>Import Library

As far as keeping everything up to date --- you could use Dropbox but you would probably need to set the Data Folder location in Preferences on each computer.  There are other apps that can synchronize files (SugarSync is one that I know of)

Two designers, 3 machines, sometimes a 4th BUT we only use laptops so some of this may help, some may be too cumbersome. Migrating we do as Joe suggests. Then always use the latest release ONLY.

IF bringing a file from a prior version we do a save as just in case there is a need to revert. I don't have to give plan files to any other entities.

Between machines we always use "backup entire plan" (to zip in X8) and include user initials and date in name. That takes care of textures and symbols in a specific plan. My part time assistant does this at end of day as a matter of course and drops it on a thumb drive. Whenever he's coming in I do the same for him in the morning before he gets here. We also have a private website for file transfer just in case and am setting up a private cloud here.

For new symbols and material-I keep the library neat and organized into folders. Since new symbols always end up at the bottom and not in a file we export those as library file and add it to the zip backup.

For most jobs I have a dedicated file in the library (makes getting job specific symbols easier). So sometimes the new symbols are immediately moved to that and we export it. Note that the Job file in the library always contains actual symbols and not short cuts to avoid problems.

Keep the plan file the same name throughout the process.  When you back up the entire plan, do it from within the layout.  Label that folder with the date as part of the name.  Doing this method keeps you from having to constantly update the files that are sent to the layout because the plan file will always have the same name.

Inside the X7 library id I right click on "User Catalog" it does not give an option to export. If I go into the user lib showing all the folders inside it I can right click and export but I have about 80 folders and dont want to export each individually 

Well, After making an X8 data file back up I thought I would try something.  I copied the User_Library folder out of the X-7 Database Libraries then copied it to the X-8 folder. I completely replaced the X-8 folder with the X-7.  I opened X-8 and all my X-7 user libs were there and I didnt get any error messages.   Maybe it will work?