Roof lines in roof plan question

brian-sdesign

I'm looking for a slick way to get my roof lines to look correct in plan view. The problem with just using the roof plane lines is they often are not suitable due to over framed areas. If I trim and connect the roofs so they look correct in plan, then sections will not build correct. 

Not sure exactly what you're after (roof lines to look correct in plan view)?  You can set up layer sets, to display just the roof plane lines etc., set the line type/size/color to display THE WAY you want it. David Michael (subscribe to his you tube vids) has several good videos on setting up anno sets / layer sets  If the roof is built correctly, it will display correctly, I'm thinking? If you're having a particular issue with a particular roof not displaying correctly, you might post that plan and get a lot better answers from the REAL chiefers on the forum.

For me the roof plan has never been correct ,but there are some things you can do to help, like setting the transparency of the top roof to lighten up the below roof lines. No one really wants to see any lines below the overhang above.

Like I said, if you have an over-framing area, then you have two roofs overlapping and the roof lines do not look correct.

Transparency is a good idea, I'm looking into that. Thanks DZ

Another related question, is it possible to turn on roof fill (think shingles) on one layer set (the roof plan) but not another (the floor plan)? It does not appear to have a layer built into the roof object for the fill.

16 hours ago, brian-sdesign said:

Like I said, if you have an over-framing area, then you have two roofs overlapping and the roof lines do not look correct.

Transparency is a good idea, I'm looking into that. Thanks DZ

Another related question, is it possible to turn on roof fill (think shingles) on one layer set (the roof plan) but not another (the floor plan)? It does not appear to have a layer built into the roof object for the fill.

Brian,  this is a great question and topic you have brought up.  Using fills and transparencies as Perry has suggested  is a possibility.  Also,  when  CA gives us the ability to assign a "LEVEL" for everything in plan may help in what you want to do.   Also,  being able to control whether the fill is on in some views and not  others (as you suggested) is a great idea.

For us old-timers,  this has been a thorn in our side.

In the old days I would  probably do a video on the possibilities, but I do not have much time these days.

A very good topic you brought up.

If I am not mistaken,  there are other programs that deal with this issue very well.  I am not sure if it is possible to deal with this in CA effectively for all possible scenarios.

It seems I'm stuck manually drawing roof lines for now. I hope chief gives us some better tools in the future. A separate layer for fill would be great. Also a tool to create a polyline around a roof plane similar to the room polyline function would also be helpful. Ultimately if the roof objects were smart enough to know which areas were over framed, similar to a pony wall, that would be perfect. Being able to change roof styles for roofs below so the plywood continues but roofing material stops and also plan view display. It's a good dream but it does not seem like chief moves very quickly on things like this. It's really too bad. Chief is so great for a lot of things but still comes up short 

5 hours ago, brian-sdesign said:

It seems I'm stuck manually drawing roof lines for now. I hope chief gives us some better tools in the future. A separate layer for fill would be great. Also a tool to create a polyline around a roof plane similar to the room polyline function would also be helpful. Ultimately if the roof objects were smart enough to know which areas were over framed, similar to a pony wall, that would be perfect. Being able to change roof styles for roofs below so the plywood continues but roofing material stops and also plan view display. It's a good dream but it does not seem like chief moves very quickly on things like this. It's really too bad. Chief is so great for a lot of things but still comes up short 

Have you tried using reference sets to see all the roofs below? Using that method you would never have to draw any lines

Just fill the upper roof planes on an individual basis, not all of them.  Yes I wouldn't do that for the framing plan. using reference sets, I can show anything I want on any plan. Maybe its a case of what version you are using. At this point I can only do what Chief will let me do ,and this is something that Chief has never dealt with in the last few versions, and wish they would.

No way you should be drawing roof lines manually, and trust me, I'm one of the biggest proponents for quality construction documents. 

With Chief, there are a couple things that we just learn to live with, and roof planes are one of them. I made a suggestion here....

..and here are a couple of suggestions. One would be to keep the roof planes on the level they are on, then they don't show overlapped, the other is using fill and note that the shaded planes are sitting on the first floor plate.

Roof 1.png

Roof 2.png