Turret Troubles

Ginkgohouse

Good Morning

I am working on a project where the owners are adding a living unit above an existing garage.   The roof and structure already exist.   The unique deal is the stairway is enclosed in a framed turret.   I have the roof planes in place and did "polyline subtraction" on the main roof to allow for the turret wall but the roof plane is still there. However when highlighting the roof in plan view you can see the "shadow" of the subtraction.

Any thoughts?

Turret.plan

Photo Dec 08, 1 24 42 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 08, 1 24 48 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 08, 2 08 26 PM.jpg

I usually make a polyline shape and convert it to "hole in roof".  It's the same button you would use to convert it to a p solid.  By the way, they may want some collar ties in that turret roof.  Without them, the walls will begin to spread outward at the top.

I think you should turn this into tech, subtraction method should work, it shows in your 2d plan view. Javatom method only works for square holes in roofs or maybe I need a lesson on this. Please post your results Mark, you have some very unique roofs.

You could have a temporary work plan open with the same roof.  Build your round walls on level 2 and let ca build an auto roof to that wall.  Cut that roof plan (now with the round hole) and paste it into your real plan.  Use point to point move to get the position right.

turret.jpg

Just working with your original suggestion javatom and an Ellipse can be corrected to be a circle then converted to a "Hole in Roof".

Is that what you were suggesting? Because if it will work it seems easier than a temporary work plan.

Roof Hole.jpg

Javatom,

I also played with the plan file for a while and could not resolve the issue, as there are a lot of factors at play here.  Maybe I will go back to it and try this option.  Did you try the Ellipse on Mark's file?

Mark,

I think I have the theory right but need to go to the hardware store for some more caulk.  I will talk to you tomorrow after I get some sleep.

Roof Hole Turet.jpg

Hello All

Chopsaw - I did use your method and it works great. The specific issue with this plan is the turret is just offset from a Hip Roof so instead of one plane being involved there are 4 planes involved.  The Hole in Roof tool does not seem to work when you drag the polyline to the roof edge.

I attached another more developed plan. 

Turret - 2.plan