Ray tracing detail

warrenwest

This one for all the ray trace experts out there. I have been practicing for a while now and I was running a test today of a whiskey glass containing ice cubes. After about 36 passes I got to this stage below. Will this 'noise' clear up if I let it run all night or will I have to change the settings? 

Untitled 11.jpg

It is very difficult to predict how much this will clean up by running significantly more passes. How long did it take to run 36 passes? Try 100 passes and see if there is a noticeable improvement, this would provide some indication as to how long it might take to fully clear up. How you have lite this will also effect the degree of speckles in combination with the material settings. Raytracing through multiple layers of glass and transparent materials is a real challenge. Suggest posting the plan to see what others might come up with.

Graham

Without seeing your settings I can only offer advice based on my past experience. Be sure to have plenty of added light (and keep ambient light to a minimum), I would add a light source that is set as a Point Light.. Also, use Photon Mapping & Caustics for the best quality of image.

Eric

49 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Here is the same scene with Photon Mapping & Caustics "OFF". 10 passes in 2 minutes. 1200px X 1200px.

Glass and Ice_10 passes_2 min.jpg

Here it is after only 3 passes in 40 seconds. No speckles.

Glass and Ice_3 passes_40 seconds.jpg

Graham

Thanks for the effort Graham. Perhaps its the model I'm using from 3Dwarehouse that is the problem? Would you be able to send me you whisky glass to test under the same circumstances and settings?

The glass is just a standard glass and glass material in CA and the ice cubes are a resized pillow with the Crystal Ice Glass material form the CA material library, nothing special. It's more likely to be your lighting and Raytrace settings that are the issue. What you are dealing with is what happens when light is passing through several layers of semi-transparent material. The more layers the greater the potential for speckles. How bad or good this will be depends upon the amount of light, the type of light and the Raytrace settings. Unfortunately there is no single magic setting, these often need to be adjusted accordingly for each scene. The key is to try to gain an understanding as to what these settings really do so you have a means to access an issue and resolve it through a logical approach.

Graham

20 minutes ago, rlackore said:

Graham, it appears there is no whiskey in your glass. Can you achieve the same raytrace results with a couple fingers of whiskey in the glass?

Sorry about that, it looked so real I downed it before the Raytrace was finished :).

Will pour another shot and give it a run. I do know that this will create more potential for speckles as it will add another layer of semi-transparent material that the light will need to pass through.

Graham

What is the secret for getting that close?  I downloaded what looks to be the same glass with whiskey and ice that the OP has, and just put it into a blank plan, no table, no room, no lighting, nothing.

How do you get the camera just a few inches away?

And what transparency setting does one best use for the ice cube surface?

• 1 month later...