Terrain not filling in under screened deck

JECORMIER

Hey All-

Just had a quick question about this funny thing happening to my terrain area under my screened deck. It's not filling in like the rest of the area and I can't figure out what's making it happen. I believe it has to do with a setting in my floor above within the screened deck but I don't see where I can manipulate it to fill in. Hmmm. Got me stumped so let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

JC

P.S. See attached plan file.

JOHN TERRAIN.zip

26 minutes ago, Evolution said:

Sorry, but the zipped file doesn't appear to include the plan.plan file? Or at least when I try to open it there is not a plan file available.

Bob, The plan file is within that long list of files in the zip file - at least it was when I looked. Not easy to find though.

31 minutes ago, JECORMIER said:

Thank you-

Ok, well. the idea of unchecking the 'Hide Terrain Intersected By Building' certainly filled the missing piece in under the deck but......Now there is a full lawn growing in the basement.

What now brown cow?

J

You draw a closed polyline where you want the terrrain cut, and change the polyline to a terrain feature hole. The problem with making a wall "No Room Definition" is that, well, you lose the room definition, and the associated information, like room name, square footage, etc.

14 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

You draw a closed polyline where you want the terrrain cut, and change the polyline to a terrain feature hole. The problem with making a wall "No Room Definition" is that, well, you lose the room definition, and the associated information, like room name, square footage, etc.

That is the down and dirty solution...  it works.  I model my terrain to fit the building,,,,,,,  a little bit more work,  but when you get the methods down,  easy peasy.

Note in the attached pics,  I have modeled the terrain as it will be built. Note the dirt you see WITHIN the building perimeter.  Not super important,  but I like to  model the terrain as it will be build in lieu of taking the shortcuts......  both methods work,  pick your poison.

2.jpg1.jpg

The program will try and cut out the terrain for the building automatically but it can't handle all situations perfectly.  For instance, when the terrain intersects the building on multiple floors (the terrain just looks at the current floor). 

The best way to solve this is to turn off the automatic tool for cutting out the terrain and create your own custom hole in the terrain.  The easiest way to do this is to first select the exterior room, make a room polyline, and then convert it into a terrain hole.  You can then edit this terrain hole to include or exclude rooms as needed.  If you have rooms on other floors, you can turn on the reference display to adjust your terrain hole where needed.

There is no reason to ever have terrain in your basement or open holes unless that's what you want.

18 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

It's under a deck , who cares. doesn't matter in this case.

1 hour ago, DRAWZILLA said:

It's under a deck , who cares. doesn't matter in this case.

Because you'll get the same terrain behavior if it's an actual room with windows, like a breakfast room, which may come up in the future. Why would you teach someone to use a half-baked approach when doing it correctly is just as easy, and gives you more flexibility and works in every situation?