Top Floor Ceiling Interference.

olyconstruction

Hi Chiefs,

So in the project I attached there is something weird happening in the kitchen. I want my ceiling to be flat at the level of the beam that runs across the middle of the room. You can see in the screen shot. that part of the second level is protruding into the kitchen.  The floor and ceiling heights in both are set where I want them (I think), 8'10 high ceiling in the kitchen and 7'8 in the rooms on the floor above. It seems that the problem is not really related to the floor height. If you change the ceiling height in the kitchen the protrusion from above will follow. Truthfully i just need the ceiling plane on the project south part of the room to be the same height.

If anyone has some time, can you please open up my plan and let me know what you think the problem might be? I have been muddling through this for some time now and do not have any answers sadly. Thank you so much!

AB   

JAMES_-PROPOSED_2_-_11-9-16.zip

Q4.JPG

Alex, First thing I would do is check your floor default ceiling and floor heights for each floor. The floor/ceiling heights do not match your defaults nor do they match the heights you have posted above. After setting those check your second floor floor/ceiling heights. Some rooms are off by 2" from others. Your defaults will help here as well. Once you get your default heights set you can use match properties to get everything stable then change your single room heights.

• Upvote 1

Larry thank you so much for your help and the awesome video. 

I used the match property method with all the rooms on the top floor and that totally fixed my problem in the kitchen!!!

The reason that those rooms have different floor finish values is because on the as built they are all just osb, so i deleted the finish layer.

I dont know but I guess I just assumed the second floor had the same ceiling and floor values, I could have sworn I made them all equal. 

But in any event you answered my question and I salute you for it. 

Thanks!

I think you have to start with the main floor default setting for ceiling height. 

Then set all the rooms on the main floor to that ceiling height. 

Then go upstairs and repeat the process. 

Then go back to main floor and check all defaults again. 

I usually have to do a bit of back and forth like that until it all sets itself straight. 

DJP has done a lot of great videos of these exact kind of fixes and it's usually an exercise in wrist slapping for not having your defaults set right.  Like he says, the program takes its cues from you. 

2 hours ago, michaelgia said:

I think you have to start with the main floor default setting for ceiling height. 

Then set all the rooms on the main floor to that ceiling height. 

Then go upstairs and repeat the process. 

Then go back to main floor and check all defaults again. 

I usually have to do a bit of back and forth like that until it all sets itself straight. 

DJP has done a lot of great videos of these exact kind of fixes and it's usually an exercise in wrist slapping for not having your defaults set right.  Like he says, the program takes its cues from you. 

Michael, I could be wrong but I think Chief behaves better when you work from the top floor down. Seems weird and counter intuitive and perhaps there are others who might correct this notion but I'm pretty sure it's the best method for getting Chief to behave properly.