General Framing - Steel / Metal Buildings

amddrafting

I recently starting drawings for metal building and I'm trying to figure out the best methods for doing wall framing.  Typically C-Channel is used for the wall framing ran horizontally between vertical posts.  The problem I am having is that when I use a general framing member and turn it into a C-Channel it's only option is to be vertically oriented.  I need them to be horizontally oriented.  Is there any other way to get it to work or do I just have to manually create C-Channel using polyline solids?

Do you mean the material for the wall framing in the wall set up?  If so then yes, that's what I set up.  However we don't build walls like that.  These are steel buildlings that have horizontal C-Channel  framing @ 48" o.c. vertically on the wall between steel posts.  I can make them using molding poly lines or polyline solids, but I was hoping to get them as framing materials so I can use them in the material list and possibly get a count of all we need with each project without having to do a manual take off.

Do you mean the material for the wall framing in the wall set up?  If so then yes, that's what I set up.  However we don't build walls like that.  These are steel buildlings that have horizontal C-Channel  framing @ 48" o.c. vertically on the wall between steel posts.  I can make them using molding poly lines or polyline solids, but I was hoping to get them as framing materials so I can use them in the material list and possibly get a count of all we need with each project without having to do a manual take off.

I assume you posted this before I posted #4,  #4 will require you to manually locate each c channel.

Sorry,  sorry sorry,  I am slow on the uptake.......  I got the problem now.....  I suppose you can turn that c channel into a symbol and then rotate it.......  probably the same result as using the framing member as is.........  I think that is the solution.....  turn that general framing member into a symbol,  rotate it,  and use it over and over again.

What you really want is a METAL SILL PLATE,  I do not think that is an option,  therefore the symbol solution may be best.

I just build a metal framed wall,  I put the sill plate on its own layer,  did a framing overview,  turned off all layers except the one the sill plate is on,  and made a symbol out of that......  you  probably have already done that.......  I am just rambling.....

What you really want is a METAL SILL PLATE,  I do not think that is an option,  therefore the symbol solution may be best.

The U-channel plates will generate automatically according to your Framing defaults. I wonder, though, if the real-world wall framing "posts" are actually C-channels? I don't think there is any way CA gives us an option for custom framing shapes, like a U-channel, or a W-shape.

I did one more option,  put the steel studs @ 1000 feet o.c.,  put in blocking,  changed blocking to c channel,  copied the blocking as needed up and down wall,  not a good option,  best option is probably the symbol option.

post-50-0-77092100-1402497397_thumb.jpg

AMD ......don't you have the bonus Beam Catalog it has a C-Channel in it along with 2-3 other steel beams/flanges etc? might not be what you wanted of course but it is horizontal by default by the looks of it.

M.