Manual Dormer Walls

chiefuserchad

I am struggling so much on this plan, and I feel like it's something easy I'm missing. I can't stand using the auto dormer button because I end up getting error messages every second so I do these dormers manually. But on this one I cannot get the half attic walls to go in. When you open the plan and drop a camera inside you'll see which walls I'm talking about. I've tried using the roof cutting wall at bottom, I've tried using attic walls, anyone dealt with this before? There are also these square patches of drywall that will randomly disappear from a wall surface. you will also see this in the camera view.

Ratner New.plan

A1 0 MYERS 5-30-2016.pdf

I just did a quick look but I noticed a few things.  On floor 1 - define the floor default to be the structure you want.  It is a garage so you need a slab not a crawl space.  Check your wall definitions.  There is some gray default walls but they generate as tan attic walls.  You have a lot of mis-alignment of walls.  They are close but make sure the invisible walls are snapping to align with the normal walls.  Also check the alignment from floor to floor.  The missing triangle might require editing the attic wall and pulling a section of wall into that area.  Sometimes a p-solid patch can be used to cover minor unwanted items.

I'm not sure where you're seeing a crawl space. My section shows the slab in the garage. I've tried using attic walls to fix it but it either messes up an attic wall near it or messes up the wall below it. Yes, I could use p-solids but I'm trying to find the real way to put a wall there. And I still can't figure out these weird drywall holes.

Capture9.JPG

Capture9.JPG

I did not have time to trouble shoot the whole plan.  I deleted your second floor and re-did the dormer.  I pulled a triangle of the attic wall down to cover that part.  Re doing your 2nd floor eliminated all the mis-alignments.  I can still see the bottom of the framing at that part.  Maybe someone will know a way to eliminate that problem.

Untitled 1.jpg

1 hour ago, chiefuserchad said:

I am struggling so much on this plan, and I feel like it's something easy I'm missing. I can't stand using the auto dormer button because I end up getting error messages every second so I do these dormers manually. But on this one I cannot get the half attic walls to go in. When you open the plan and drop a camera inside you'll see which walls I'm talking about. I've tried using the roof cutting wall at bottom, I've tried using attic walls, anyone dealt with this before? There are also these square patches of drywall that will randomly disappear from a wall surface. you will also see this in the camera view.

Ratner New.plan

A1 0 MYERS 5-30-2016.pdf

I do not use auto dormers either...  waste of time for me.  I build them all manually.  I do not think there has ever been  dormer I could not build.  i have done multiple videos on how I build them.... if you can find them....  I did them a long time ago....  they might be on youtube,  type in DORMER VIDEOS BY DSH  and you might find them....  who knows though....

If you want me to show you how to do it,  I will do a gotomeeting with you if you pay me for my time.

3 hours ago, dshall said:

I do not use auto dormers either...  waste of time for me.  I build them all manually.  I do not think there has ever been  dormer I could not build.  i have done multiple videos on how I build them.... if you can find them....  I did them a long time ago....  they might be on youtube,  type in DORMER VIDEOS BY DSH  and you might find them....  who knows though....

If you want me to show you how to do it,  I will do a gotomeeting with you if you pay me for my time.

I seem to have fixed the majority of the issues using your method from your video but the only thing I can't seem to add is the 8' ceiling in the front and back of the room. The center of the room will be vaulted because of the shed roofs but the main roof will need to be at 8'. When you're in camera view you should see the main pitch get collar tied off by that 8' ceiling but it screws with the attic walls above it.

Ratner New.plan

2 hours ago, chiefuserchad said:

I seem to have fixed the majority of the issues using your method from your video but the only thing I can't seem to add is the 8' ceiling in the front and back of the room. The center of the room will be vaulted because of the shed roofs but the main roof will need to be at 8'. When you're in camera view you should see the main pitch get collar tied off by that 8' ceiling but it screws with the attic walls above it.

Ratner New.plan

Well,  you are welcome,  I am glad I was able to help.