Send to layout Line Thickness Question......

Korel_Design

Today's question has to do with Line Thickness on Elevation/Camera Views prior to Sending To Layout. I combed through the Preferences and Defaults looking for a setting that might effect this issue. If I don't set the Line Thickness on the Rendering Technique Options>Technical Illustration Panel (see Capture3.jpg) to something like 30, the printed output on a saved PDF or straight to my printer (KIP 3000) the lines are very light and almost undetectable. On the monitor a Line Thickness of 30 produces an image where all the detail is blotted out by the heavy lines (see Capture1.jpg). Attached is a image of the Saved PDF of the final product (Capture2.jpg). 

Is there a setting that tunes the final output to more resemble the looks of final output when putting my Layout Sheets together?

Or, what is your method of producing a proper image to Send to Layout? How do you do it?

Tnx!, JK

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Hi guys,

I was reading this post and I never checked this settings, been using what ever it was out of the box. So now I looked at it since Joey mentioned print sheet set up and this is my advanced options which are unchecked and it set to "mm" and I don't have anything set to metric is this normal? If not what setting should I have there and if I have to do the change someplace else like in defaults or layout?

Thanks! Appreciate the help.

Capture1.JPG

Tnx Greg. I'm experimenting with various settings. If I adjust the settings in the Advanced Box it changes the thickness of the borders of my layout. When my elevation image looks good, then the layout borders are too heavy. It's just trial and error until I find the proper balance.

JK

I believe those settings are based on the pen sizes of the old plotter...though not 100%. Through trial and error, I developed my own settings of 1=1/700 in. That gives me 0 as my thinnest line used, and 20 as a heavy line. Most of my lines (via layer settings) are in the 6 to 10 range. In my mind that made sense. 0 being the smallest, and 20 being the thickest. My borders are in the 30 range I think on my layout pages.

The Advanced Line Weight Options in the Drawing Sheet Setup dbx are in line with the old Rotring drafting pen sizes.

ie, a line weight of 35 is equal to a .35mm pen, a line weight of 70 is equal to a .7mm pen.

the Rotring pens were all specified in mm - so that is what Chief uses as it's default units.

Here is what I finally figured out regarding this. The File>Print>Drawing Sheet Setup>Advanced Line Weight Options, do not seem to effect the line weights on the actual elevation image of the plan. It does control the line weights of the dimensions and the Layout Template Borders. I went from one extreme to the other and no change in the looks of the elevation image but the dimensions and the border did change. I finally settled on the setting of 200mm for the most pleasing look off my KIP Printer. I set the Technical Illustration>Rendering Technique Options, to Warm Blend = 0%, Cool Blend 15%, Line Thickness 15, Shadow Intensity = 0%. These setting gave me the best results. If there are other settings that control the final printed plan I would really like to know what that is.

Thank guys.

FWIW, I'm using Joey's 1=1/700 in. approach which works well for me because the integer number line widths are small enough to distinguish in plan view.  I have also cut way down on the number of layer sets I need to manage.  

Who is the Annotation Set GURU here? I could still use some tips with this aspect of the program as it's so powerful.