Darn - Archive Strategy Again

HumbleChief

My computer crashed and I lost a bit of work and am once again confused by the archive feature in Chief. I've posted my current settings and am wondering, again, how Chief deals with its Archived files.

I've got Auto Save set to every 2 minutes and Auto Archive Files set to 'Previous Save' but am not sure what that means because I lost about an hour's worth of work on a custom section and can't seem to figure out how to save an Archive that doesn't lose that hour's work.

Does previous Save mean it will only Archive the saved version? Meaning I have to hit Cntrl 'S' every couple minutes to make sure it's archiving that last saved version? Where does the auto save every 2 minutes end up?

Not getting it.

archive again.PNG

Autosave saves project every x minutes inside of autosave plan file. Autosave saves file to the same folder as archives, name  in format project_auto_save.plan

Autoarchive  preserves an existing copy of your the plan file when you manually saving the file, in case plan file gets corrupted. 

Next setting effects archive filename uniqueness

IF you set CA 

to archive daily - every day CA will make another copy of your plan file every time you save keeping unique archive once per day.

e.g. adding date and timestamp project_2016_12_05.plan

to archive hourly - every hour CA will make another copy of your plan file every time you save ensuring unique archive once an hour.

( therefore if you manually save 20 times during same hour - only one archive copy will exist )

previous save - every time you save previous version will get archived.

> Does previous Save mean it will only Archive the saved version? Meaning I have to hit Cntrl 'S' every couple minutes to make sure it's archiving that last saved version?

Correct.

> Where does the auto save every 2 minutes end up?

Autoarchive has nothing to do with autosave. See above. Autosave creates file In the same folder as auto archive with _auto_save.plan ending.

In addition software creates undo plan in %temp%

Like I posted, not getting it - at all. Shouldn't I be able to go back and find the latest saved version using Auto Save every 2 minutes? I found an older file without the 1 hour's work and that was all I found. Seems like it's worked perfectly before but maybe user error? Chief was open for perhaps 30 minutes as I did something else. Came back worked for 5 minutes and Windows crashed. Felt good because of the settings but only an older version of the file was there to open and the work was gone. So auto save didn't save? May never know.

I opened the Layout and not the plan file - did that make the difference? Chief asked me if I wanted to use a more current version of the Layout file but not the plan file? Oh well, re-did the work but am now hitting cntrl s every few minutes which I remember wasn't needed as the auto save/archive was so dependable. Just feels bad not knowing if my work is backed up or not.