New Project from old Plans

ACADuser

I have a plan & layout file that is a similar project to a new project I want to start.

If I save the old Plan file to the new projects folder & rename it to the new project name.

How could I reuse the old layout file saving it & renaming it in the new project folder.

Do i have to wipe out all traces of the old file & start over with all the saved views & sections?

• 4 months later...

I pretty much have the same dilemma, same floor plan, but mirrored.  I really do not want to redo the 15 sheets of the previous design.  I know there will be changes, because of the mirror.. but...

I have renamed new design into a different folder.  Both plan and layout are the same name.

So how do you relink the files?  Not finding any think that should be "really that simple".  I know once one of you tell me, it will seem simple, just not finding it.  

On 12/5/2016 at 5:13 AM, Joe_Carrick said:

No, the only key is that you name the new Plan & Layout files with the same names & relink the them.  It's really that simple.

I agree.  It's very simple.  Rename plan, rename layout, and relink.  You don't even need to use the same name.   I've heard this recommended many times and I've never understood why (I

may have heard it explained before but if so I forgot why).    Anyway, my layout names often times do not match my plan name.  

Actually this is the premis I use for all my drawing and layout association.

I keep my layout templte in a separate file and bring a copy over to the plan folder I want to work on.

This layout file is linked to the plan files that contain my details and notes.

As I move forward in the desing with new revisions I just copy both plan and layout files to the new revision folder then rename and relink. 

6 hours ago, RL-inc said:

.............  I just copy both plan and layout files to the new revision folder then rename and relink. 

This is the simplest and best explanation I have seen  (they do not need the same name)

BTW,  this is what the SAM is all about.

9 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You don't even need to use the same name.   I've heard this recommended many times and I've never understood why (I

may have heard it explained before but if so I forgot why).

The reason I do this is so that I know which Layout goes with the Project.  They not only don't have to have the same name but they don't even have to be in the same Folder.  But having them the same makes it easier to keep track.

btw, I have several "Detail Plan Files" that are linked to the Layout in addition to the "Project Plan File".  My "Detail Plan Files" are in a Folder that never changes location so they never need  to be relinked.

Thanks gents, that worked perfectly.  I knew once I was directed, it would have been, why didn't I look there....

I can see how using the same template would be beneficial, esp, like what was mentioned above.  I have one builder who likes his drawings a certain way with fonts, colors, etc.. and knowing know HOW to this now is going to be a great time saver. 

"Solver" I did search for relink, but it wasn't very clear. it was more for archived files is what I could see.  I do try to find answers before hitting the pros up, its education at its best.