X9 Sneak Preview

HumbleChief

20 minutes ago, mthd97 said:

Yusuf has some great work arounds for difficult custom stairs and I remember seeing a multi story spiral stair case he designed using CA.

Sure, I do a lot of fancy stairs using CA and I will keep sharing those techniques along the way, but if you are referring to a specific one, let me know please. I don't mind sharing what I know when some one requests me about it. You are always welcome, if there is any thing I can help.

On 12/4/2016 at 4:06 PM, michaelgia said:

Oh My Gosh - I would have to SHOT MYSELF using this software..!!!

This is why I now use Chiefarchitect...

I absolutely love stairs in Chief now. 

I like it! I like it! (a la Yosemite Sam)

• Upvote 1

People do allot of silly things out of ignorance and that is why it is good to be well informed about how things work and how to use them properly. In Archicad there are many ways to do things but most don't require laborious work arounds or major fix ups for simpler and more complicated housing. Extreme home design is another story.

5 hours ago, yusuf-333 said:

Here is a video showing the one great concept regarding the potential of chiefarchitect to be able to curve the straight panel and at the same time follow stairs,  Mind you it is easy, but took me very very long time to unviel it. This method simply combines the tools we are already provided by CA.

Curving the straight panel by using WT tool and then apply it on curved stairs to automaticaly get curved panel railings...

Very clever Yusuf...

I think with this X9 release, it is going to be a great time for me to really get to know the Chief Architect software.  Especially CA's stair tools.  I don't think I am using the current stairs tools to the full.   I wonder if cable railings in X9 can be changed to look like black spray painted rebar.  Maybe I will find out later on.  They must of just recently changed the 3 free models to 99.free models for their online cloud storage service.

4 hours ago, ComputerMaster86 said:

I wonder if cable railings in X9 can be changed to look like black spray painted rebar. 

Lance, You don't have to wait, you can make your own in X8.  The rebar might be a little tricky, but the black is no problem.  If you can draw it then you can make it into a railing panel.

13 hours ago, dssharp said:

Richard, join me is free also . Check it out.

I've been using join.me for years. Not the point. Letting a client do walkarounds on their own time, and then having them be able to show designs to their friends (an excellent marketing tool) - WITHOUT giving them the actual .PLAN file is invaluable. When Google Cardboard gets incorporated, then I think Chief Architect will really have something.

14 hours ago, ComputerMaster86 said:

I wonder if cable railings in X9 can be changed to look like black spray painted rebar.  Maybe I will find out later on. 

There is a trick that's been around for quite awhile, if you want to take it up a notch. You can add windows with custom muntins to a solid wall, and pretty much get whatever you want. A guy named Alan Cheng (wonder what's happened to him?) was a master. See some of his work here: http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?21174-wrought-iron

Sadly, I note that some of his earlier work no longer has the images available in the old Chieftalk. A big loss.

36 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

I've been using join.me for years. Not the point. Letting a client do walkarounds on their own time, and then having them be able to show designs to their friends (an excellent marketing tool) - WITHOUT giving them the actual .PLAN file is invaluable. When Google Cardboard gets incorporated, then I think Chief Architect will really have something.

True . 

23 hours ago, DMDesigns said:

Re ArchiCAD

Thanks for the reminder......

It's been 18 years since I switched from ArchiCad and I was recently lamenting over it's superior terrain mesh, but completely forgot about the negative side!!

RE: "Custom Room Definitions", Can anyone tell me what the advantage of this new feature is ? We have been able for a long time to change the room definition to what we we choose.  Even if we are not using the room for what it is set out to be in the room definition parameters as we can create our own custom room label. So I would like to know what the purpose is for this tool ? By the look of it we can create other room types with thier own specific room characteristics that differ from the room default list itself ? Correct me if I am wrong, since I have not been able to set up my X9 Beta Discussions forum to see what other testers are saying and doing with this tool yet.

2 hours ago, mthd97 said:

RE: "Custom Room Definitions", Can anyone tell me what the advantage of this new feature is ? We have been able for a long time to change the room definition to what we we choose.  Even if we are not using the room for what it is set out to be in the room definition parameters as we can create our own custom room label. So I would like to know what the purpose is for this tool ? By the look of it we can create other room types with thier own specific room characteristics that differ from the room default list itself ?

Yes I think the whole point is to be able to completely customize the room definitions and names so that you no longer have to keep changing things from the Chief defaults and assigning regionally specific names and features and it will all be preset when starting to draw a new plan.  If you always call the Garage a Car Park, or the Bathroom a Water Closet, or are in a region where everyone has a Root Cellar with a concrete floor, for example, then you can change it once and always have that option available every time you reuse your profile plan.

• Like 1

Thanks, Richard & Chopsaw. Yes I have to ask support about getting into the other part of the forum. I think it should be ok to discuss basics now as they have been revealed in the sneak peak. Yeah I can see it being a help with set outs and even templates too. I will have to do some testing with stairs and split level housing in X9b.

I think the stair tool is a pain too, especially if you are doing anything that is out of the ordinary. It must be very difficult to program because stairs are a pain in every 3d modeling software I have worked with. I do think alot of the character and overall feel in a house comes from the stairs so I hope someone in the software design community can figure it out soon. It is all part of the great modern conflict that is CAD software design. It seems to me ever since the advent of CAD design has suffered because the home designer has been pidgin holed by the constraints of the software. However it is continually improving on that front, I am sure in a decade this conversation will be completely different. "My hologram renders are not displaying shadows"

Speaking of which, in the videos she has a little google cardboard thing next to her. Do you think the new version will be able to produce panoramic model viewing and walk troughs for VR head sets? That could be huge. Has anyone done that in X8? 

18 minutes ago, olyconstruction said:

Speaking of which, in the videos she has a little google cardboard thing next to her. Do you think the new version will be able to produce panoramic model viewing and walk troughs for VR head sets? That could be huge. Has anyone done that in X8? 

That would be part of the viewer software, which is really not part of X9. I've been playing around with trying to export to different software until Chief's Google Cardboard works. www.modelo.io seems promising, but it's still a little buggy. (Chief exports to.DAE >.SKP 2016>modelo.io required.) Sketchfab is another I've tried, but there is significant z-fighting, and navigation seems difficult. Any programs that work well with Google Cardboard?