X9 Sneak Preview

HumbleChief

I think there are hundreds if not thousands of posts related to stair improvements.  Scott Hall has done a lot of videos showing work arounds.  A large number of stair improvement requests were posted in the suggestion area long before version X8 was released.  How many (if any) of those suggestions have now been incorporated into the software?  Not many.    

I don't need or expect Chief to fix every aspect of the stair tool...but, it's long past due for some major improvements.  

I know nothing about software programming...but, I gather fixing this tool is extremely difficult or improvements would have been made long ago...

(edit) PS:  I love CA software and think CA gives us a lot for the money.  I'm a happy user...wanting more.   

• Upvote 2

I thought I should list the improvements made to Stairs in X8.

1.  Break Line in Plan
  2.  Nosings and Riser Lines in Plan
  3.  Handrails in Plan
  4.  Handrail Extensions and Returns
  5.  3D View in the dbx
  6.  Landing Labels

There is still more that needs to be done and I expect that there will be more in X9 and future releases. 

Obviously, it's not accurate to say that CA has ignored this subject.  Stair Labels, better control of: Handrails and Guardrails, Landings, Stringers, Materials, etc are all additional things we would like to have.  Without specific requests/suggestions CA can't know exactly what to do.  While CA may have an Architect or Contractor as a consultant, it's ultimately we as users who have to provide direction.

• Upvote 1

I agree, Joe, Chief has worked on Stairs a lot, but there is only so much they can do for each yearly release, but they are getting better with each new release. I can see a future where there is no more complaining about stairs. Maybe if Chief had more time between releases , stairs would be done. Though, I for one actually like the yearly releases, b/c I can get some new goodies faster.

I think I have it figured out.  At the risk of being a pooh pooh head,  this is what I think.    I just reviewed the video on the new stair features.  It all looks super....  if you are a DIYer.  This video is a great example of what I have seen for the last ten years.  Really neat stuff if what you want fits in a prescribed  box.  I do not think I have ever relied on these "quick" tools.  Maybe good  for a quick presentation as I sit in front of a client.  But these are not the kinds of stairs that I build 95% of the time.

The question is,  if we use these quick "tricks" how do we now modify/manipulate the features to create what we are going to build. As I and several others pointed out in another thread,  our stairs typically but into a side wall that is roughly 6" above stair nosing and then we have a handrail on top of that.

Just to be clear,  for me what I just saw in the video are superficial features.  I typically "get by" with the features we have  now,  I suppose I would like the ability for greater customization.  I think I was quite clear in another post I made in regards to what would be  most beneficial for me.

"OUCH,  who through that tomato?  Ooof,  that brick just broke my nose,  Hey,  stop shooting spit balls at me"

I am going to coin a new term, "APE" for how and why CA works fast with relatively simple house designing of rooms, stairs and other building 3D components. "A" is for Automatic, "P" is for Parameter and "E" for Extraction.  We use Chief for its productivity and speed in producing run of the mill housing with relatively minor customization and features. I not sure if any of you have heard the saying "Going Ape" in the US ? Stairs in CA automatically extract thier parameters from where they are placed in the 3D CA Model hence the new stair types including the existing stair types in the drop down menu or child buttons. The problem has been that the room type that the stairs are placed in will affect the stair parameter data extraction and how they build. That's why we build a floor opening that is enclosed and room labeled open below so the stairs will supposedly build correctly every time. Specific room types also have their own destinct parameters and will affect how the stair builds. I have not tested this in X9 yet to see how this works with the new and existing stair types so if anyone has, please tell us when the NDA period is over what problems you found if any ?

RE: Scott Halls last post. I have seen his fancy stair library file that he has produced in one of his videos. What a great Idea for building customized stiar cases and storing them for latter use as a template file. I still hope we have an option in the future that let's us build and set our own stair parameters and marking the dbx to stop the stairs from inheriting parameters from its surrounding room. If this does happen we can call this feature "Frozen Stair Cases" if this occurs we can share customized stair cases with each other and modify them accordingly for our own home design project by setting our own parameters not from the room we place them in.

Here is a video showing the one great concept regarding the potential of chiefarchitect to be able to curve the straight panel and at the same time follow stairs,  Mind you it is easy, but took me very very long time to unviel it. This method simply combines the tools we are already provided by CA.

Curving the straight panel by using WT tool and then apply it on curved stairs to automaticaly get curved panel railings...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, yusuf-333 said:

Here is a video showing the one great concept regarding the potential of chiefarchitect to be able to curve the straight panel and at the same time follow stairs,  Mind you it is easy, but took me very very long time to unviel it. This method simply combines the tools we are already provided by CA.

Curving the straight panel by using WT tool and then apply it on curved stairs to automaticaly get curved panel railings...

Very clever solution Yusef.  Thanks : )

14 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Check this out.  Only played around with it briefly, but you can use this same technique to reshape almost anything...

Cabinets.jpg

Of course yes, it has a lot of benefits as some needs. generally, reshaping any thing to a desired curvature is handy by using this method. Thanks again for the ensight Michael.

A.S. and Yusuf that is mind bending, thanks, many will appreciate these example of what we can do in CA with work arounds if we have the time. Beleive it or not we were able to create curved roof sheet verandahs in V6 by using the method of attaching a custom molding and changing the material from wood to corrugated roof sheet to a shrunk down counter top base.

8 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

No no no.  Thank you.  Check this one out...

Curved truss 1.jpg

Curved truss 2.jpg

Curved truss 3.jpg

Curved truss 4.jpg

Curved truss 5.jpg

Nice Michael, this is applying the same concept and the program treats any object as straight box once you convert it to millwork, so when you convert the straight truss to millwork and again apply it as a window treatment, it follows the curvature of the wall containing the window resulting very great symbols as you have shown us.

Really nice idea you have brought Michael. Thanks again for the tips.