X9 Sneak Preview

HumbleChief

I'm guessing that if the product manager wanted to get input from the forum here on any features there were still debating about (for X9 or X10), there would be a pretty good response rate.  

Looking briefly at the Suggestions section, he no doubt has his work cut out for him and the team. :)

3 minutes ago, Griffin said:

I'm guessing that if the product manager wanted to get input from the forum here on any features there were still debating about (for X9 or X10), there would be a pretty good response rate.  

Looking briefly at the Suggestions section, he no doubt has his work cut out for him and the team. :)

Yeah prioritizing over 4,000 requests would be a handful for sure.

what you need to understand is this forum is only a tiny subset of the user base, how the rest put forward their suggestions I do not know.

From my perspective they spend a lot of time on rendering and very little on the basic functions now reqd for consenting, which is a never ending change.

2 hours ago, Griffin said:

Maybe for the next cycle CA could do some survey work with their user base to help set development priorities.  I don't know how their process works so maybe they already have something like this in the works I'm not aware of.

We have customer surveys every September; then, we have user events and receptions where we gather feedback

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

I think it's also important to remember that there was quite a 'large voice' concerning stair changes and X8 implemented a lot of those changes, apparently not enough for many users, so perhaps another 'large voice' on the suggestion forum might be helpful again? 

Do we really have to submit a post on the suggestion forum for CA to improve the stair tool?  I mean...isn't it apparent to everyone including the brain trust at CA?

20 minutes ago, scottharris said:

We have (7) sneak peek videos scheduled over the next couple of weeks.  We’ll post the stair sneak peek in the next day or two.

Thanks...look forward to seeing that "sneak peek".  

1 hour ago, SNestor said:

Do we really have to submit a post on the suggestion forum for CA to improve the stair tool?  I mean...isn't it apparent to everyone including the brain trust at CA?

I think one of the assumptions is that some needed improvements are "apparent to everyone including the brain trust at CA" when in fact they simply aren't. And as Joe mentioned in a previous post without some specific details for needed improvements Chief is really lost as to how can't know exactly how to improve the current features to meet the user's needs.

EDIT: It appears that the original post got taken the wrong way and what I meant to imply was that Chief might be lost if we the users don't help with specific suggestions about specific features. For example with stairs it won't help much with a suggestion like, "We need better stairs." Chief can't do anything with that input. They need to hear about specifics like, "Please return the handrails to specific point etc. etc."

13 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

post without some specific details for needed improvements Chief is really lost as to how to improve the current features.

I really, reeeaaally hope not... Can't imagine a vendor for Medical equipment software not having healthcare professionals on staff or as consultants.. I think stairs are basically VERY high hanging fruit because Chief's wall automation has a VERY hard time with multiple objects - walls, handrails, frieze boards, skirt boards.. occupying the same space... Isn't this one of the causes of issues with Chief? mis-aligned walls delete/displace anything else..

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Rashid_Garuba said:

I really, reeeaaally hope not... Can't imagine a vendor for Medical equipment software not having healthcare professionals on staff or as consultants.. I think stairs are basically VERY high hanging fruit because Chief's wall automation has a VERY hard time with multiple objects - walls, handrails, frieze boards, skirt boards.. occupying the same space... Isn't this one of the causes of issues with Chief? mis-aligned walls delete/displace anything else..

Apologies for not being clearer. I intended to imply that Chief needs specific ideas about what to change i.e. stairs in order to get things right for the users or else they are lost as to how they can improve Chief the best way possible. I'll edit that original post as well as it seems to have been taken the wrong way.

2 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

With all due respect Larry, when this quote is on the homepage of your webite....

Chief Architect — professional 3D architectural home design software.

I shouldn't need to tell you how to improve something as simple as a stair tool.

Fair enough...but that argument will have to be taken up with someone else.

12 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

With all due respect Larry, when this quote is on the homepage of your webite....

Chief Architect — professional 3D architectural home design software.

I shouldn't need to tell you how to improve something as simple as a stair tool.

Joey,

Why not?  I've put in my suggestions and some have been implemented.  If you don't tell CA exactly what you want they don't know.  If everyone tells them something then it has a much better chance of happening.

• Upvote 1

I am declaring we stick to the third rock from the sun for these things...........

What are the odds Chief dropped everything and started working on stairs this week? Looking forward to seeing what they have done.

Thank you Chief!!!!!! someone needs to say it......

Joe, I gave my thoughts on how stairs could be improved in another thread. Something as simple as showing stair jacks tight to the wall even though that's not how they are installed. Rails with knee walls are the norm for about every residential builder across the US but are not easily done.

Stairs when customized by the work of a skilled designer become a building of their own in some respects. In the ArchiCAD forum people are still asking for stair improvements so they can work thier own unique design skills. I think if we could have a stair builder and stair type library that we can deposit our own designs in, that would be good. For that to work though, we would need to be able to have a spot in the dbx that allows us to detach the stair from the model and retain its shape if so desired. Then if we choose to we should be able to insert a saved stair style into the model and then tell the dbx for the stair to adjust to the new model so we can modify it accordingly. More customizable stair components in the dbx would all help the cause. We can only expect CA to provide the most common stair types for homes and not to expect radical designs that require fancy free form apps.