X9 Sneak Preview

HumbleChief

Not to be a sour-puss, but sort of an underwhelming video.  I know they are going to release more vids, but if this was my first and only insight into X9 I would have been slightly disappointed.  If I was Chief I would have started with the best X9 features first and then work the other way in subsequent presentations.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, johnny said:

If I was Chief I would have started with the best X9 features first and then work the other way in subsequent presentations.

Let's hope these aren't all the best X9 features!    At least faster undo/redo is welcome as that is painful to use on complex plans.

• Upvote 1

If I am not to getting my releases mixed up,  I think you will be very happy with a few other features.  And to let the cat out of the bag,  there are two independent macros by users who I am finding invaluable,  especially for power users.

I'm going to be completely honest here. I love Chief Architect, made a lot of money with the software, but I have held off on updating my SSA knowing that if the stair tool isn't right this time, then it may be time to move on. I cannot continue to waste hours doing 2D stairs in a 3D program. It may sound trivial, but my biggest complaint for years has been the stair tool. Used to be I could only use it 40% of the time, now I am at 70%...has to be 100% this time.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, dshall said:

If I am not to getting my releases mixed up,  I think you will be very happy with a few other features.  And to let the cat out of the bag,  there are two independent macros by users who I am finding invaluable,  especially for power users.

Don't the Alpha/Beta testers sign an NDA to insure no cats get let out of any bags?

2 hours ago, ShaneK said:

Very stable update, quicker reaction time in many 3d views and we get more features each update. It's the best CAD program for me and MANY, MANY  others on this forum.

Shane, are you commenting on the X9 release directly despite the obligatory NDA? Or are you hoping the comments you made are true?

47 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

I'm going to be completely honest here. I love Chief Architect, made a lot of money with the software, but I have held off on updating my SSA knowing that if the stair tool isn't right this time, then it may be time to move on. I cannot continue to waste hours doing 2D stairs in a 3D program. It may sound trivial, but my biggest complaint for years has been the stair tool. Used to be I could only use it 40% of the time, now I am at 70%...has to be 100% this time.

100% agreed  

- Stairs tools horrible and need a revamp.

- Solid tools needs revamp

- Roofing tools ugh [ you should be able to draw baseline polyline just like with softplan ] 

- I do not understand why gable pediments symbols can not be attached under the roof and instead I have to have flying in the air gable brackets, or stashed in the attic pediments.

The features in the video are underwhelming. 

9 hours ago, johnny said:

Not to be a sour-puss, but sort of an underwhelming video.  I know they are going to release more vids, but if this was my first and only insight into X9 I would have been slightly disappointed.  If I was Chief I would have started with the best X9 features first and then work the other way in subsequent presentations.

I was kinda thinking the same thing.  Although, I will be sticking with Chief even if X9 doesn't turn out to be what it's cracked up to be.  I am still hoping Chief hits it right out of the water with X9.

I doubt if that is the "complete" feature set for X9

this is a "teaser"

everyone complains when Chief refuses to release any details

then when they give some hints they catch sh** again :(

I have heard 1000+ times on this forum - "if Chief doesn't meet your needs then move on"

Lew

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BrownTiger said:

- Roofing tools ugh [ you should be able to draw baseline polyline just like with softplan ] 

-

I have very little experience with Softplan.  Gave it a quick try once and hated it.   Do you realize that you can draw a basline polyline in Chief too??

Do you realize that you can draw a basline polyline in Chief too??

I can make baseline polyline via build roof object , can delete baseline polyline, I can convert into regular polyline.

I wish I could draw it like softplan Sketch Roof

But I do agree, X9 features are too early to tell,

3 hours ago, lbuttery said:

I doubt if that is the "complete" feature set for X9

this is a "teaser"

everyone complains when Chief refuses to release any details

then when they give some hints they catch sh** again :(

I have heard 1000+ times on this forum - "if Chief doesn't meet your needs then move on"

Lew

Looks like that worked.

I don't think anyone is under the impression that the first sneak peek is the complete feature set of X9 and aren't the users entitled to give feedback on features both old and new? ...and 'everyone complains'.. really? Been here over 10 years and have seen most every post and just haven't seen what you're talking about Lew. Even this thread - would you say Chief is catching sh** again from the posts here? Again just not seeing it.

And what if X9 turns out to be an upgrade that underwhelms with its new features? Are users supposed to say nice job when it could be so much better? I keep my expectations very low and understand Chief's business model so I am not so disappointed when a new upgrade is released.

Personally I'm very, very happy with X8 and I don't expect much in the way of ground breaking new features in X9 but I'll bet, just like every new release, X9 will get a little more refined, a little more polished and will help make our designing jobs just a little bit easier.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, yusuf-333 said:

Larry, ? :rolleyes:

Hey Yusef,

That partial message was stuck in my reply box and the only way I could get past it was to post that cryptic message you see. Sorry for the confusion. I'll try and delete it.

Deleted, should have done that quicker - again apologies.

2 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Hey Yusef,

That partial message was stuck in my reply box and the only way I could get past it was to post that cryptic message you see. Sorry for the confusion. I'll try and delete it.

Oh...ok.. got it, thanks for the quick response.

Been here over 10 years and have seen most every post and just haven't seen what you're talking about Lew

Larry:

seriously ???

I've been here since 2005

time and again :

"why is CA so closed mouth" 

"why won't CA give us some hints"

"does anybody know what's going to be in the next release"

"I don't want to renew my SSA then be blindsided"

"unless I don't know what's coming..."

etc etc etc

Lew

I believe one of the principle points Larry is making is no one here was thinking this is a complete X9 preview, so the comments are based upon simply the choice of presenting fairly insignificant features first.  Its a minor discussion point, not an absolute condemnation of Chief.

However, I realize there are other comments based upon frustration and I can't say those aren't warranted either.  I myself have a love-hate-love relationship with CA.  They seem to do just enough to keep me here but those scales have to be analyzed yearly.

Personally that sneak peak sounds good to my dyslexic mind...... Visual helps it.

As for the other stuff who knows??????? As for the direction of CA, designer of the year Bing picked by pretty pictures and not professional work.....

I mean really popularity contest where never my strong point as a professional...... So until CA gets professional, we just get to ride the been counting train........

I worked with softpaln years ago back when a cross ment hip roof....... they are geared to builders, CA is geared to DIY home owners, and Revit is geared to god only knows,,,,,, just bring a bank to autodesck.........

That all said CA seems to still be the best choice for me to do plans in 3D, and better at doing CD compared to 1995 4.05 version.......

So as I said else where CA and I will live with their choices............ not worth rites in the streets............YET!!!!!!!