Deck Post ,fascia Mount Possible?

Kbird1

Is it possible with the Standard Railing tools to Fascia Mount Deck posts ? specifically 4x4 is used here a lot and using this method opens up another 6-8" of deck space which can be important on smaller Decks.  I know I can use the "Newel Offset" box in the DBX but that only moves the Newel , not the whole Railing it seems.

Have I missed something or do I need a Custom Built symbol ? to achieve this ?

Thanks.

M.

M,

True , might be the only answer , though I was hoping I was just missing something, the Standard Railing is fine but it has to sit On the deck or Stairs.

Not necessarily so.

Is this the sort of thing that you are after?

This can be done automatically in Chief with railings.

• Upvote 1

Guess I'm missing something :)  yes  pretty much , except we have to place a post either side in the Corner about 2 1/2 back , as we aren't allowed to Notch 4x4 posts at all (Code) so each Corner needs two.  Can it be made to follow down the Staircase too ?

post-315-0-46075100-1402407630_thumb.jpg

Thanks Glenn

The only way I've been able to create accurate face-mount rail systems is to build them with symbols (or solids) for the newels/balusters, and molding polylines for the rails. Of course, these won't join up with any other automatic railing, such as at stairs or landings.

post-95-0-59501000-1402408573_thumb.png

Glen,

What are your settings for that rail?

I think Glen may be using a no-room def rail around the deck, but I have no idea how he gets the newels below the level of the deck floor (perhaps with a scheme involving the 'generate on lower level' checkbox). 

I wouldn't purposely tease! ;)  - it's a time thing - I'm off to bed now.

All done with railings.

Briefly...add a layer to the railing wall definition and make it the same thickness as the newels and Insulation Air Gap or no Material.

That spaces the railing out from the deck.

You can't drag the bottom of a railing wall down. So start with a normal wall (or convert a railing back to a normal wall) and drag the bottom down. Change to a rail. Check Generate on Low Platform.

Use invisible thin walls and break the railings near the corner and use a different railing for the corner pieces - which are really just the top rail.

Probably better to have a look at the attached plan with the above in mind.

My apologies for the metric thing.

As usual, maybe not perfect for this or any other situations, but still demonstrates the flexibility and depth of Chief.

PS. Ah...I just discovered a problem with this method. The railing in plan does not coincide with it's location in 3D - I will keep playing.

• Upvote 1

OK,

Easily fixed.

In plan, I needed to draw the rails with cad (has everyone noticed the new Intersect/Join 2 Lines tool?) 

I created a new layer called Walls, HIDDEN RAILINGS and moved all the deck walls to that layer.

Hid that layer in plan and displayed it in 3D.

A bit of extra work, but tidies things up and only takes a couple of minutes.

Apologies  for not getting back to this earlier Glenn , yes that looks just about perfect , I'll download your Rail2 zip file and hopefully I can open it and figure it out alongside your Description. thanks a lot for the time taken. 

Not sure why CA makes it so diffircult though it's been an EON since you were allowed deck mounted posts or posts notched around the double Rim , you cant model post inside the rim or outside the fascia the only to acceptable solutions for Timber Post, in elevation/cross Section the don't extend below the decking either so you have to Draw in those parts yourself.... thankfully not to often.

M.

Ok for some reason I thought I had read/seen that you could allow when saving for older versions to at least view the file ie read only....  guess I am wrong about that .... thanks I'll give it a go.....

Mick.

I now think I was thinking about the check box for Home Designer Titles but even that only works if it is the same year/version.

Had a bit of a play but no luck yet getting your results yet.

M.

I'm missing something obvious or using the wrong railing tools , not sure ?  adding an extra 3 1/2" layer (Post width) only seems to make the top and bottom Rails wider ,but the posts don't move. Perhaps the wrong layer is assigned as "Main" layer ?  ( I can change the railing width in the DBX if needed but , I don't get your result.)

Did you start with the Straight Deck Railing Tool ?

or

Straight Deck Edge Tool , and add your own railing to it?

Not sure if you have time for a step by step or a Video , but thanks for the help so far.

M.

KBird,   GW may disagree,  but I think the easiest way to build these railings is with a 2D molding drawn in plan.  You can attach top rails,  bottom rails,  and balusters/pickets.  Build this molding one time,  and then use it on your next job.  Very easy to manipulate.  You can move  it further away from deck edge or closer in.  It also typically  will give the lines in plan that represent said railing.

The only tedious part is putting on the newels,  they are psolids.  And once you have done that once or twice,  it becomes second nature putting the newels in and again you have all the control you need.

There is a vid on the method somewhere out there.  I think it is on the old forum.